Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 06:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,311,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Where are these whitopias?
You live in one even if you live around nothing but black folks in your case.

So the answer to you specifically is this: in your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,903,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Care......no.

It has become a joke.

At one time I tried to sort people out by their actions.

Now, as the old saying goes........they all look alike to me.
This has to be the longest running bad Joke. I do not care and most do not either. Most of these protestors do not even know why they are protesting.

In recent year I have witness reverse racism and I got to tell you some African Black are in your face because they can intimidate you.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:55 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,735,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
it's all about race. - Sharpton, Holder, Obama.
Very illuminating. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:43 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,313,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I assume many/most of us have friends/coworkers/acquaintances who are black/white (the opposite of whatever you are). I'm also going to guess that many of us here feel (you may or may not) that race relations have taken a backward step in the last few years.

Have your feelings on the macro state of race relations in the US impacted your more personal dealings with people of another race?

Do you care?

On the micro level, mine have not, but on the macro level, I've definitely become more cynical and negative towards hood rats, protesters and race baiters.
First off there is no such thing as race relations. So people saying race relations are getting worse is meaningless blather usually spouted by the privileged in America.

For the people, who take the brunt of America's racism, things are pretty much the same compared to recent history.

Usually, when white people say race relations are getting worse that means there has been some incident that is putting a focus on racism against black Americans.

For the vast majority of white Americans, black Americans pointing out/protesting against systematic racism is intolerable and that's what the phrase "race relations are getting worse" usually means in America.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,311,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
This has to be the longest running bad Joke. I do not care and most do not either. Most of these protestors do not even know why they are protesting.

In recent year I have witness reverse racism and I got to tell you some African Black are in your face because they can intimidate you.
That last paragraph...what the hell are you talking about?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:04 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,039,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Slavery, Jim Crow, Housing Segregation, KKK, Reagonomics, the "Southern Strategy."

yep..... I was a member and involved in every one of those.........all us whiteys were........

Old 01-06-2015, 08:04 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,153,019 times
Since the world is changing and those changes don't favor white supremacy anymore, the inner skinhead is coming out of a lot of people. But no, race relations in the US isn't really on my mind. Honestly I can care less about improving relations with these white supremacist that love to use words like, "hood rat", "thug", "unqualified" etc. in place of their favorite word that isn't socially acceptable anymore in most circles...

Old 01-06-2015, 08:21 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,640,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Many different enclaves in this country, North, South, Central, West. In Central New Jersey where I live, I had quite a few blatant rejections and some more subtle ones. Another poster mentioned a more famous case, that of comedian George Willborn, in Chicago more recently.
Which area of central jersey does not allow black people?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 PM

17,521 posts, read 9,337,628 times
It's difficult for some of us to even relate to the type of posts I see on City-Data.
I was born in the 1940's - I had Black students (but not many) in my high school. My City of about 300,000 was already integrated. I never saw a "black only restroom or water fountain" in my entire life. I never saw any segregation until I lived in Austin, TX .... which was segregated and divided by the Freeway that cut through the City. It still is to some point.

I have lived in a City of almost 300,000 for over 40 years and I can tell you for sure that there is NOT a single block in this City that is totally Black. I bought a brand new home with a Black neighbor and don't ever recall there being no Black families on my block. My kids grew up with Black friends and my Grand Daughter and the one of the God Parents of all my Grand Children is Black. It's about People and not about a label of color. I actually have next door neighbors now that are genuine African Americans from Nigeria. They have been here for over 20 years, are Citizens and make it clear they don't want to be called "African Americans" ..... they became Americans and are extremely proud of that.

I've come to believe (among other things) that WHERE you live is Critical - what part of the USA you live in. I do understand that the North and even the Mid West have racial problems, and am forever grateful that I and my family don't live in those areas. The Black population in my City doubled in 2 years after Hurricane Katrina .... we were an evacuation City and I worked that Evacuation for over 6 weeks to help people who had to leave. The people who came here were absolutely shocked at the difference from New Orleans to our area ..... they chose to stay and it's been great for our area. They saw a chance to get out of the mess they lived in and move forward without the baggage. They opted to give up all they knew to give a better life for themselves and their children. The USA is not Cookie Cutter. People have choices.

Once again ... Where you live is CRITICAL.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:28 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,039,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Werid....how do you think they should be "put in their place???"

Martin Luther King was killed by a white man and was loathed by the majority of whites in this country. He was investigated by the FBI as a "terrorist." His followers were beaten and demeaned and deemed "agitators."

You are not asked to love, you are asked to respect all American's rights as an American in our criminal justice system. Our governmental systems, especially the criminal justice realm do not treat black people as equals under the law.

My ancestors were around during slavery and were here in America, so I am thoroughly American. I am proud of their perserverance. My mother (who is 52 and still alive) and practically all of my older relatives were alive during Jim Crow and lived through it. Housing segregation is still rampant in our country, it is not legal but still occurs. I work in the housing industry and know first hand about housing discrimination. The southern strategy did occur and its affects are still felt today politically.

The main reason why these people are protesting today has to do with discriminatory practices in the criminal justice system. FYI, there have been many studies that prove that discrimination against blacks is high in our criminal justice system and being caught up in it negatively affects the lives of blacks moreso than whites. Whites who are felons have a better chance at many jobs than a black person without a record and college degree.

Most live in low to middle income black neighborhoods. In larger major metropolitan areas with a high degree of high income black people, they also live in wealthy, predominately black neighborhoods.

I remember here on city-data there was a thread about this very topic. I can attest to the fact that mid to upper income black families (making more than $75K per year) choose to live in lower income to low-middle income black communities. When I lived in Atlanta, I lived in low to mid income black neighborhoods and my family makes well above that figure. I like living around black people and being centrally located and usually "the gheto" to me is, logistically, the best part of town there.

Isn't this racist also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies