Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 PM

779 posts, read 635,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Just reading between the lines here for a minute. You know what a lot of this sounds like to me?

Black (Hurt and angry): You don't like us!

White(Trying to reassure): That's not true. There are some of you who are lawless or messy and that we don't like.

Black: No! We know all of you don't like any of us. It's because of the color of our skin.

White: Please believe us when we say it isn't your skin color. There are White people who are lawless and messy we don't care for either. And there are a few outright racists but most of us don't care for them either.

Black: No! You still like them better because they are White. We can tell.

White: Really, we don't think about you that much one way or the other.

Black: See? You don't like us.

Many times in my discussions about race with black people over the years, no matter how much I try to indicate willingness to be honest and friendly and show good will I've felt double-binded. It's as though no matter how honestly I answer from my perspective I'm told I don't really know. It often feels like something is wanted from me but I don't know what it is or how to make it happen. It all feels like a huge gap of yearning and misunderstanding filled up with outrage to cover up hurt.

I wonder if black people who always feel discriminated against ever think about how sad some of us feel about this. It's like that friend who is forever nagging you to provide some kind of reassurance that you just can't give because the emptiness isn't yours to fill.
Um no. Most black people are not walking around thinking that all white people hate all black people. Do black people think about race more? Probably but I know plenty of Asians and Hispanics who do as well. Women probably think more about sexism. Gay people are probably more aware of the way people think about and treat gay people.

Can you give examples about your perspective that have made people trek you that got don't know what you're talking about?

Why would they care about how sad you feel? People feel bad if they think someone has been mistreated or feels as if they've been treated unfairly. That's called having sympathy or even empathy. Seems like a normal reaction if you know that feeling is based on at least partial fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 AM

7,478 posts, read 4,045,796 times
Quote:
Just reading between the lines here for a minute. You know what a lot of this sounds like to me?

White(Trying to reassure): That's not true. There are some of you who are lawless or messy and that we don't like.

Black: No! We know all of you don't like any of us. It's because of the color of our skin.

White: Please believe us when we say it isn't your skin color. There are White people who are lawless and messy we don't care for either. And there are a few outright racists but most of us don't care for them either.

Many times in my discussions about race with black people over the years, no matter how much I try to indicate willingness to be honest and friendly and show good will I've felt double-binded. It's as though no matter how honestly I answer from my perspective I'm told I don't really know. It often feels like something is wanted from me but I don't know what it is or how to make it happen. It all feels like a huge gap of yearning and misunderstanding filled up with outrage to cover up hurt.

I wonder if black people who always feel discriminated against ever think about how sad some of us feel about this. It's like that friend who is forever nagging you to provide some kind of reassurance that you just can't give because the emptiness isn't yours to fill.

This^

Old 01-07-2015, 01:14 AM

7,478 posts, read 4,045,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Um no. Most black people are not walking around thinking that all white people hate all black people. Do black people think about race more? Probably but I know plenty of Asians and Hispanics who do as well. Women probably think more about sexism. Gay people are probably more aware of the way people think about and treat gay people.

Can you give examples about your perspective that have made people trek you that got don't know what you're talking about?

Why would they care about how sad you feel? People feel bad if they think someone has been mistreated or feels as if they've been treated unfairly. That's called having sympathy or even empathy. Seems like a normal reaction if you know that feeling is based on at least partial fact.

I see his point as no matter how un-racist or fair you have been or tried to be all your life,To some black people it is not enough.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:17 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,387,695 times
In the middle class all-white suburban neighborhood where I grew up (and where my mother still resides) a house just went up for mortgge foreclosure...it's listed for a considerable amount less than what houses in the area sell for. It's become a bit of an eyesore, neglected, and needs work...really sticks out like a sore thumb on that street. A big concern the neighboring residents (and my mother, to be honest) have? That it will sell to a black or hispanic because it is cheap and because off its condition. They'll buy it cheap and leave it in that condition.

That could have been the case 50 plus years ago when we moved there. Attitudes have NOT really changed...it's just not acceptable to voice them.

I work for a school district that doesn't acknowledge MLK Day as a holiday...it's considered a teacher's inservice day. Students are off, but staff is scheduled to attend seminars. If school is closed for a snow day,. it's always fthe first used as a makeup day.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:53 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,652,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Lots of small parts of larger municipalities. My problems were in Mercer County.
The only affluent areas of mercer are princeton and maybe west Windsor. Princeton has a state average of near 7 percent black people -per city data. West Windsor is lower, but has a very high Asian population.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:38 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,316,923 times
I'm
Quote:

This is nonsense. Black Americans don't care if white people like them.

Black Americans just want to get theirs like other Americans.

Yet, every statistic out there points to massive racial inequities.

We have huge racial income, wealth, and job gaps.

We have a huge homeowner rate gap, education gap, a huge criminal justice system gap, and live in racially segregated neighborhoods.

I don't know what world white people inhabit where they think these huge racial inequities are either non existent, don't count, or the fault of black racial deficiencies, but these huge inequities are the problem for black Americans.

These stats prove for black Americans their lived experiences of different treatment based on race. That's the problem.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,254,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Actually there is. Black people's difference from whites is still limited to melanin content in the skin and hair texture.

Lets understand something really quickly. Humans are very diverse, and that diversity goes far beyond skin color and hair texture.

While it may be improper to classify people into something as simple as "black and white", I seriously despise the notion put forth by unscientific people that the only differences between one population group and another is merely their skin color, hair texture, or some other minor difference.

The differences between humans are numerous and important. To trivialize them down to skin color, does us all a disservice. In my mind, ignoring human differences would be on the same non-intellectual level as not believing in evolution.

Here is a good article by Henry Louis Gates Jr(the black professor who was part of the infamous "beer summit"). It explains some of the problems we have been having in recent years regarding "ancestry"(IE race).

David Altshuler and Henry Louis Gates: Race in the Age of Genomics - WSJ

Basically, in a world where we can sequence the genome, science is certainly disproving the construct of "race" as being simplistic, inconsistent, and unscientific. But in the same breath, it is proving that genes matter. Which necessarily means that ancestry matters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/us/11dna.html

So yes, the concept of race is crude and a bit incoherent, but it isn't wrong.

In my view, the "anti-racists" are actually running out of time. As the science of DNA matures, the argument for racism(or really, ancestralism/genetic prejudice) necessarily becomes stronger.

Of course, recognizing race, or genetic differences doesn't mean that you should dislike someone else. For instance, I recognize that women are different than men, but that doesn't mean I dislike them. In fact, their differences are what I like the most about them.

I mean, I recognize a difference between humans and dogs. But my dog gets treated better than many humans. I mean, it reminds me of the quote by Will Rogers(a native Oklahoman and part Cherokee like myself), “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.â€

Quote by Will Rogers:

Regardless, since I'm an anarchist. I don't even see the point in having these silly debates about race. To me, race is only important if race is important. More importantly, race is only important to the extent that it actually affects me.

In truth, I could care less if you were racist, or if you absolutely hated me. If you hated me, I would just choose to not interact with you. The only reason why this discussion of race even catches my interest, is because the government has power over my life, and you people vote. Thus I only care about the ignorance of others because I might end up being controlled/coerced/punished by morons.

I am forced to either educate the ignorant masses, or be ruled by stupidity.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:18 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,254,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I'm

This is nonsense. Black Americans don't care if white people like them.

Black Americans just want to get theirs like other Americans.

Yet, every statistic out there points to massive racial inequities.

We have huge racial income, wealth, and job gaps.

We have a huge homeowner rate gap, education gap, a huge criminal justice system gap, and live in racially segregated neighborhoods.

Look, there are certainly racial differences, but differences are the norm among human groups. They aren't the exception.

This link shows a breakdown of income by religious affiliation.

Income Distribution Within U.S. Religious Groups | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

I mean, nearly half of all Jews(46%) make more than $100,000 a year. While only 8% of the members of historically black churches make more than $100,000 a year. But only 9% of Jehovah's witnesses make more than $100k a year. And for that matter, only 13% of evangelical Christians make more than $100k a year.

I don't know the racial breakdown among churches. But I would bet money that the income gap between the average white evangelical Christian and a Jew is far larger than the income gap between the average white evangelical Christian and the average black anything.

So what?

For that matter, I would bet the incarceration rate for Jews is far lower than it is for the typical white person. I would also bet that the average jail sentence for a Jew is far lower than it is for the typical white person for the same crime. So what? Should white people be out marching in the street for some sort of justice against the rich Jews that control the system and use their money and influence to get away with crimes and to keep themselves in power? What would you say if they did?

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec...ion/oe-stein19

I mean, if any sort of gap appears between any racial, ethnic, religious, or gender group, should we all sit around all day marching in the streets until that gap disappears? What are we supposed to do about it exactly?

You know, I would actually have sympathy for blacks if they would just stand on principle. Black people complain about how the system is racist, or that the system is working against them. Now, if I thought the system was inherently stacked against me(which I do). I would try to tear down the system(which I am trying to do). Or just "opt-out" of the system. Basically, if my life is being controlled by rich white people, I would seek to separate myself from the rich white people, to prevent them from having power over me. I mean, I can understand "Black nationalism", it seems to be a perfectly rational outcome of someone who believes in systemic oppression.

Where I disagree with black people, is that instead of sticking to their guns and boycotting and opting-out and becoming truly independent of the "white power". They repeatedly get "bought-out" by welfare and other hand-outs.

Why? Because they aren't opposed to power, they are just upset that they aren't the ones wielding it.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:43 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,758,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The only affluent areas of mercer are princeton and maybe west Windsor. Princeton has a state average of near 7 percent black people -per city data. West Windsor is lower, but has a very high Asian population.
I'm not going to get into specifics of what happened and where.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:53 AM

53,423 posts, read 35,124,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Its amazing that you know exactly what every white person will think of you living next to them.........or your son dating their daughter........
Maybe he's had a lifetime of experiencing how people react to his charming chip-on-the-shoulder personality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies