Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 12:34 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The wealthy give tons of money, especially the evil conservative wealthy.

First they pay excessive taxes, then they give even more to various charities, and this is still not enough for some people.

Still waiting for the OP to put his/her money where his/her mouth is. Start giving 50% of your income to those in other countries. If you are not working then you should go over seas and help build schools and teach those less fortunate.

It is easy to be charitable when you are giving someone else's money.
Not really the wealthy abuse a lot of loopholes and the tax code. They take someone out to a fancy 100 dollar dinner and then write it off as a business expense.

The stock market is meaningless to the average person historically. Under Reagan for example the stock market was high for it's time yet tons of people lost their jobs in those years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 12:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So do I. That's why I choose to focus on helping the poor rather than taking money from other people.

They don't have a choice. Taxes are included in the price of goods they buy. It's not a need. It's a fact.

If demand is sufficiently elastic and/or if cheaper alternatives exist, corporations (business generally) might be unable to pass cost/tax increases to consumers.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Yep, the rich have had it really good under Obama. They will still keep getting rich no matter what he says, he won't follow through.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:48 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Richest 1% will own more than all the rest by 2016 | Oxfam International

3.5 billion people are struggling to survive while 80 people have more wealth than anyone on this board could possibly imagine.

Of course, this is obviously just an excuse for lazy, selfish liberals to steal money from the poor innocent billionaires, who obviously deserve what they've earned through hard work and sacrifice.

I think we should give the billionaires more tax cuts.

I think this is good news. I hope the top 80 people on this globe will soon own 99% of the Globe's wealth.

Let's bring slavery back, yay.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:49 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yep, the rich have had it really good under Obama. They will still keep getting rich no matter what he says, he won't follow through.
This is not about America's 1 % but the World's 80 most wealthy people. This has nothing to do with Obama. Unless Obama would be President of the World.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:

3.5 billion people are struggling to survive while 80 people have more wealth than anyone on this board could possibly imagine.

Of course, this is obviously just an excuse for lazy, selfish liberals to steal money from the poor innocent billionaires, who obviously deserve what they've earned through hard work and sacrifice.

big deal. so you buy into the wealth envy deal here.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How does the Invisible Hand work when the two parties to a transaction have drasticaty unequal brgaining power?
Don't buy anything unless you think it benefits you.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:

no, not more tax cuts, just get rid of the 16th amendment completely and go to a sales tax of 15% for everyone. then all are included in taxes evenly.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:06 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
Grow up.

It's not about any percentage so much as realizing that some people have too much and some people have too little. There are plenty of people below the top 80 who wouldn't exactly be hurting if they lost even 3 quarters of their wealth. I mean, it's just sitting there doing nothing.

At the very least, we could stop pretending tax cuts on huge corporations work, and stop creating a society that encourages unchecked greed and concentrates wealth in this manner.
Maybe some of these folks got a tad too caught up in the 'Greed is Good' mantra?

Quote:
Gordon Gekko: ... I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them! The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much.
Quote:
Gordon Gekko: The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bull****. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it. You've got that killer instinct. Stick around pal, I've still got a lot to teach you.
Wall Street (1987) - Quotes - IMDb

Perhaps coincidentally, some of the more ardent Gordon Gekko fans turned out to be fans of ...

Quote:
For three decades, the United States has undertaken an extraordinary social experiment, incentivizing greed among the richest Americans by cutting their top tax rates in half or more. The results are now in from Ronald Reagan’s bold gamble and Robert Parry says they aren’t good.

So, it turns out that greed isn’t good after all – at least not for the vast majority of the American people. But this is a lesson that many U.S. opinion leaders still resist.
https://consortiumnews.com/2011/10/0...is-good-folly/

Art imitating life? Or vice versa?

Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,797,563 times
To be in the top 1% of income earners worldwide, all you have to do is make more that $35,000 per year. We're all 1%ers now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies