Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I'm not a gun person. Don't own one. Never shot one. Never laid a finger on one, although at some point I'd like to try one at a shooting range under controlled situations, and find out what all the fuss is about.

I don't think I'd be a good bet to have a gun in my house. I'd be too scared it could be used against me.

Thankfully, I live close to the police station and keep my doors locked. I also live in a safe neighborhood. I don't see the need for me personally to own a gun. If I felt I needed extra protection, I'd either get an alarm system, or a dog such as a German Shepherd.
No one likes to do things they are not familiar with or not comfortable with. Your decision is right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
I use the White Hat Holster that is specific for my gun. It holds the gun secure and tight.

Among the Best Concealed Carry Holsters, Best IWB Holsters - White Hat

Old 02-03-2015, 12:35 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Or,......a few hours.......where we live.

I can not think of one home in 15 miles around us that does not have guns.
Roughly 20% of the US population lives in completely rural areas, where police response time might be measured in hours rather than minutes. What are those people supposed to do if they're threatened and have no means of self-defense? Not only from criminals, but from dangerous animals that live in rural areas? Bobcats and mountain lions are routinely seen in the area my family lives in.

Making guns illegal will do absolutely nothing to stop criminals from acquiring them and only make innocent people into helpless victims, unless they're willing to break the law to justify their own protection. After they passed the handgun ban in Britain, crimes committed with guns INCREASED by 40% in just two years. The rate of assault, burglary and robbery doubled. That is what gun control advocates in the US are encouraging by trying to pass laws leaving law-abiding US citizens defenseless.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I avoid places where I feel I am in enough danger that I would need a pistol. When I am in such a place I have one. I have a gun handy in my house just in case some fool gets stupid.

Orlandochecuck1 provided the proper way to handle a firearm. Read it (Post 21) and believe.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In my mind there's a difference between protecting your home from intruders and casually carrying a loaded weapon in places like Walmart.

A few of my reasons:

(1) If somebody is in my home without permission, there's a high probability they are up to no good.

(2) If I am at home, there's a good chance my safety is in danger. There's very little guesswork or speculation involved.

(3) In my home I can strictly control access to firearms with a quick access safe.

(4) I know the territory intimately and am familiar with tactical and defensive positions that would allow me to avoid a confrontation and/or hopefully get the upper hand if that's the only option.

(5) I generally know who else might be lawfully present, so the risk of harming an innocent bystander is low. We live in an old house set back from the road and the doors and walls are thick.

(6) In my home I have access to other effective but less deadly weapons.

(7) I'm not taking a deadly weapon into public space and putting others at risk.

(8) I have alarm, lighting and surveillance systems to give me an edge.

(9) I have dogs to deter intruders and give me an early heads-up.

(10) I know specific details about the neighborhood, who's normally there, and what the risks are.

So what do y'all think? Am I right or am I off track?
A gun in the home is much more likely to be used to shoot someone who lives there than an intruder. You have the right. It's a poor decision. Home invasions are actually quite rare. The police don't even bother to track them as separate crimes.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Responsible CCW licensees use an approved holster that securely retains your firearm on your hip or with a pocket holster. Anyone who carrys in his waistband with no holster must have never attended a CCW class and is probably not licensed. We are adamant about teaching people the proper method to carry. I believe you should always carry on your person, then you are always in control, and that is what I promote at my CCW classes. Firearms are not a toy that you show friends. If for any reason you must unholster to hand your firearm to someone, you remove the magazine, rack the slide in a safe direction to remove any round that is chambered and you hand the gun to the person with the slide locked back so anyone can see into the chamber, and verify that it is clear. If it is a revolver, you hand it off unloaded, with the cylinder open.
If everybody was as well trained and conscientious as you, chuck, I doubt there'd be nearly as much controversy about guns.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In my mind there's a difference between protecting your home from intruders and casually carrying a loaded weapon in places like Walmart.

A few of my reasons:

(1) If somebody is in my home without permission, there's a high probability they are up to no good.

(2) If I am at home, there's a good chance my safety is in danger. There's very little guesswork or speculation involved.

(3) In my home I can strictly control access to firearms with a quick access safe.

(4) I know the territory intimately and am familiar with tactical and defensive positions that would allow me to avoid a confrontation and/or hopefully get the upper hand if that's the only option.

(5) I generally know who else might be lawfully present, so the risk of harming an innocent bystander is low. We live in an old house set back from the road and the doors and walls are thick.

(6) In my home I have access to other effective but less deadly weapons.

(7) I'm not taking a deadly weapon into public space and putting others at risk.

(8) I have alarm, lighting and surveillance systems to give me an edge.

(9) I have dogs to deter intruders and give me an early heads-up.

(10) I know specific details about the neighborhood, who's normally there, and what the risks are.

So what do y'all think? Am I right or am I off track?

Looks like you've done a good job of preparing your house to be less inviting to home invaders. Self defense is a personal responsibility and one you've taken seriously. A firearm in the home is a good precaution for those trained and competent in their use.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
A gun in the home is much more likely to be used to shoot someone who lives there than an intruder. You have the right. It's a poor decision. Home invasions are actually quite rare. The police don't even bother to track them as separate crimes.
You're still clinging the the Kellerman study in Seattle only, that has been completely debunked and even he admitted that the research was flawed, and has since changed his position.
Over 300 million guns and over 100 million gun owners in the US, how many times would guns have to be used against its owners to support this claim?
Also, many times there are no shots fired when used for defense in the home so the intruder was not shot, that will skew any stats.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I understand the argument and have thought about removing guns from the house. One of my daughters is very opposed to them and I respect her point of view.

However, the chances of someone here getting shot by accident are extremely low. All firearms are under my immediate personal supervision and they remain in safes when not in use. I learned my lessons about that decades ago.

Is it possible someone could take the gun away from me in a struggle? Sure, I guess. Is it possible someone could use them to commit suicide or to engage in domestic violence? No, not unless it was me personally or they somehow got through me. But those are extremely unlikely eventualities.

I understand that home invasions are very rare. One of the few I've personally known about involved a neighbor of mine who was well armed but it did him no good. The bad guys came in while he and his family were out by the pool and they used his own shotgun to rob and hold them hostage.

I'm standing pat for now, although to be honest the older I get the closer the calculus becomes. I've had a pretty good run and if somebody offed me at this point it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I see no difference between protecting your home from intruders and carrying a loaded weapon

26 Step FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE:

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
3. Colt: The original point and click interface.
4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
7. "Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
8. If you don't know your rights you don't have any.
9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
14. Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.
15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
17. 911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.
19. Criminals love gun control -- it makes their jobs safer.
20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.
22. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
23. Enforce the "gun control laws" we ALREADY have, don't make more.
24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.
25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
26. "A government of the people, by the people, for the people..."

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
You forgot one:

A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies