Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Read the Washington Post.
Oh, now we see how you get your stats. You read the newspaper and run the data yourself.

How you come up with your numbers makes a lot more sense now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Fool do foolish things.
I wouldn't call you a fool for refusing to protect your family, I'd just call you naive.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:12 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd protect my home and family whether it was the law or not.
So, I guess you don't care about your family in wal-mart....

Noted...

Old 02-03-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So you are 100% sure that no one but you can access your gun safe? I think you'd be surprised at how rare that is. I think guns, properly secured, are a very minor risk. The problem is that many are not properly secured and end up being the instrument of harm. I balance that against the risk of home invasion and the calculus is easy. We have one or two home invasions per year in the Washington DC area other than robberies at drug houses. Home invasions are sensational so the news always covers them.
LOL...of course now, you will say it was an establishment, not a home invasion...

Wanted Wednesday: You can help D.C., PG Co. police catch criminals | WJLA.com

Quote:
The crimes include:
• Armed Robbery of an Establishment in the 3800 block of Alabama Avenue SE on Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015, at approximately 12:44 p.m.
• Armed Robbery of an Establishment (Gun) offense, which occurred on Saturday, Jan. 17, 2015, at approximately 9:35 a.m., in the 1800 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE
• Armed Robbery of an Establishment in the 700 block of East Capital Street NE on Friday, Jan. 23, 2015, at approximately 11:50 a.m.

Stay safe....

LOL....

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Columbia.html

Old 02-03-2015, 04:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Is the OP looking for conformation that it is a good idea to have a fun in their house? I think that is a personal decision for the OP to make. Just make sure the gun is safely out of reach of children and people who don't know to handle a gun at all times.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:39 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In my mind there's a difference between protecting your home from intruders and casually carrying a loaded weapon in places like Walmart.

A few of my reasons:

(1) If somebody is in my home without permission, there's a high probability they are up to no good.

(2) If I am at home, there's a good chance my safety is in danger. There's very little guesswork or speculation involved.

(3) In my home I can strictly control access to firearms with a quick access safe.

(4) I know the territory intimately and am familiar with tactical and defensive positions that would allow me to avoid a confrontation and/or hopefully get the upper hand if that's the only option.

(5) I generally know who else might be lawfully present, so the risk of harming an innocent bystander is low. We live in an old house set back from the road and the doors and walls are thick.

(6) In my home I have access to other effective but less deadly weapons.

(7) I'm not taking a deadly weapon into public space and putting others at risk.

(8) I have alarm, lighting and surveillance systems to give me an edge.

(9) I have dogs to deter intruders and give me an early heads-up.

(10) I know specific details about the neighborhood, who's normally there, and what the risks are.

So what do y'all think? Am I right or am I off track?
I agree with you, but Prepare to listen to a bunch of gun-nuts about how carrying a gun is the same (it's not). I have to listen to these types at my gun range all the time. They're incredibly delusional. I sometimes carry in situations that I feel are high risk like hiking/camping/fishing in the middle of nowhere or meeting someone off of craigsist to buy or sell something, but I don't feel the need to carry a gun in my daily life, and if I did, I would move to some place that I didn't. Statistically, carrying a gun makes one less safe, which is why I reserve my right to do so for certain higher risk situations only. Here in WA, one can legally carry a concealed handgun for a small fee without even taking a class or test to see if that individual is competent or knowledgeable with a firearm. A lot of these people don't have the first clue about gun safety or when they're allowed to point or shoot a gun at someone. Add to this, many of these people couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the handgun that they're carrying. It's pretty pathetic. Even being a gun guy, I can see why so many people see something so ridiculous for just how insane it is.

Last edited by lucky4life; 02-03-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Read the Washington Post.

How about other things besides the WAPO...

Wanted Wednesday: You can help D.C., PG Co. police catch criminals | WJLA.com

Or...

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Columbia.html

Old 02-03-2015, 05:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I agree with you, but Prepare to listen to a bunch of gun-nuts about how carrying a gun is the same (it's not). I have to listen to these types at my gun range all the time. They're incredibly delusional. I sometimes carry in situations that I feel are high risk like hiking/camping/fishing in the middle of nowhere or meeting someone off of craigsist to buy or sell something, but I don't feel the need to carry a gun in my daily life, and if I did, I would move to some place that I didn't. Statistically, carrying a gun makes one less safe, which is why I reserve my right to do so for certain higher risk situations only. Here in WA, one can legally carry a concealed handgun for a small fee without even taking a class or test to see if that individual is competent or knowledgeable with a firearm. A lot of these people don't have the first clue about gun safety or when they're allowed to point or shoot a gun at someone. Add to this, many of these people couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the handgun that they're carrying. It's pretty pathetic. Even being a gun guy, I can see why so many people see something so ridiculous for just how insane it is.
Many of us who've actually spent younger years hunting bigger game while carrying a large caliber handgun back-up throughout wild country, know full well the problems associated with bringing a handgun into effective action on the spur of the moment, especially when faced with a deadly threat.

We also know that the risks associated with wild country hunting are a choice. To choose to live somewhere that a reasonable person deems the risk equating to the carrying of a firearm being prudent requires a special kind of disconnect from sensible thought.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:50 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
=lucky4life;38294948]I agree with you, but Prepare to listen to a bunch of gun-nuts about how carrying a gun is the same (it's not). I have to listen to these types at my gun range all the time. They're incredibly delusional.
I could easily be wrong, but I am always a little skeptical of those posters -- like yourself -- who have no "personal" history and whose posting history is always a little sarcastic...to say nothing of just being a flat-out smart-aleck. But again, I could be wrong and I apologize ahead of time if so...

BUT? You say you have a license to carry and go to the range? if so, what makes you different from the "gun-nuts" you seem to disdain? If you care to answer the question, then also please elaborate on just what, exactly, is your definition of a "gun nut"? Is everyone around you at that gun-range one, but you aren't?

Quote:
I sometimes carry in situations that I feel are high risk like hiking/camping/fishing in the middle of nowhere or meeting someone off of craigsist to buy or sell something, but I don't feel the need to carry a gun in my daily life, and if I did, I would move to some place that I didn't.
I live in Texas, and I don't always carry either...but I sure as hell ain't gonna presume that I know just exactly when and when it isn't, unwise. What is your expertise on the matter?

Quote:
Statistically, carrying a gun makes one less safe, which is why I reserve my right to do so for certain higher risk situations only.
Is that your determination to make? As in the sense of what is dangerous or not?
. Only the person who is in the said "situation" can make such a judgment call. Statistically, don't mean diddly-dam if one is feels their life -- or those of their loved ones -- are in danger. So you reserve your right as you please and see it...but don't interfere with mine or anyone elses because you, personally, think you have some special insight...

Quote:
Here in WA, one can legally carry a concealed handgun for a small fee without even taking a class or test to see if that individual is competent or knowledgeable with a firearm. A lot of these people don't have the first clue about gun safety or when they're allowed to point or shoot a gun at someone. Add to this, many of these people couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the handgun that they're carrying. It's pretty pathetic. Even being a gun guy, I can see why so many people see something so ridiculous for just how insane it is.
So maybe you should move somewhere else. Down here in Texas/South most of us -- as has been mentioned by earlier posters -- have grown up with guns all our lives. We were taught "gun-safety" from an early age by our fathers and grandfathers...and passed it on to our sons (and daughters) too. Please don't conclude your own part of the country is tantamount to other parts in knowing guns, shooting, gun-safety, and rules.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I'm curious why a gun experienced person feels he is "less safe" when carrying concealed. After all, I'm sure you carry with a holster that retains the firearm properly, and no one knows you have it. You only would handle it in public if your life is in danger, so why do you feel less safe? I'm not saying you need to carry at all if you don't want to. It's just unusual for someone with good gun handling skills to state that he feels less safe while carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies