Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:10 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
There are bigots who look down their nose at non-college grads, and look down their noses at people who did not graduate from Ivy league schools.

This entire thread is started by a bigot who disparages anyone for president who did not graduate college.
Actually, grasping at straws in an attempt to sway people away from a choice who is clearly well qualified to be a government executive.
If Scott Walker was a democrat they would celebrate his rise despite never having finished college.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:48 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
How about a United States Senator?
Not if he or she was a community organizer, and I'm reserving judgment about lawyers but probably not.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
His fans claim 0bama is a Constitutional scholar, but he has violated the US Constitution
He doesn't know that.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Actually, grasping at straws in an attempt to sway people away from a choice who is clearly well qualified to be a government executive.
If Scott Walker was a democrat they would celebrate his rise despite never having finished college.
They would be espousing the virtues of independent actions.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:02 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times
Steve Jobs didn't have a college degree. In fact he dropped out in his first semester of college. Seems to me he was pretty successful. I would vote for him based on his success at Apple. Why wouldn't I then vote for a successful governor based on his success?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't think I will. Governor Walker may have trouble being elected president for not having a degree.

Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president. - The Washington Post
Most jobs have a minimum education requirement. Why should this job be any different?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Most jobs have a minimum education requirement. Why should this job be any different?

Every job I have ever had, it wasn't what I know.... It was who I know.

I know a lot of people that are as book smart as can be, but don't have a lick of common sense and are basically idiots.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,702 times
Indeed. That is what I was trying to capture with a biographers quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I haven't read some of the later posts on this thread, so this may have already been mentioned, but wasn't Albert Einstein also a poor student? Sometimes super geniuses are really too smart to stay focused on subjects that are not challenging to them.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:35 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Seems like a subcurrent on this thread is a pity party for the uneducated. I don't look down on the uneducated, it is a legitimate choice, but you have to set your professional sights accordingly. If you don't want to get a degree, fine, but don't expect to land a job as a doctor, lawyer, scientist, engineer, CEO, Senator, or President. If you do, you had best have evidence that you are nothing short of a genius.

In a meritocracy, it makes perfect sense to hire someone who has the full suite of educational and leadership experiences to rise to the job. Character is important too, but not enough. I certainly agree that there are plenty of self-made, autodidactic types who have amassed a great deal of knowledge without formal higher education. The burden would be on them to prove that they have the knowledge base to do the job. The GOP, in particular, has seemed to put forward folks (like Sarah Palin, Rick Perry, who, ironically, have degrees, I think), who spout the party line very well, but seem dull as dishwater. As for Scott Walker, is he a true genius? Or just another GOP zealot. That will work with the base, but never in the general presidential election, IMO.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Every job I have ever had, it wasn't what I know.... It was who I know.

I know a lot of people that are as book smart as can be, but don't have a lick of common sense and are basically idiots.
What type of work did you do? From my experience at companies, I saw plenty of incompetent managers who got their jobs based on "who they knew".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies