Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:04 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Don't worry about it, anybody (like myself) who graduated from college KNOW college education is nothing to brag about. I have an art degree. I have a friend doesn't even know what to do with his foreign language degree.

This may be startling to some, but intelligence is judged subjectively. This can cause problems when conflicts arise. One person’s genius is another person’s average individual. Someone who is not musically inclined will think the fifteen year old pianist next door is a musical genius. Intelligence and knowledge are all relative.
I'm not worried about it. The irony in my case is that I was asked to teach classes in a four year program at a prestigious university here in Philly. The double irony being that if I had accepted, which I wouldn't because I still actually work in my field, and teaching it is professional suicide - they wouldn't have been able to hire me because all their teaching staff have to have a Bachelors.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:09 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not worried about it. The irony in my case is that I was asked to teach classes in a four year program at a prestigious university here in Philly. The double irony being that if I had accepted, which I wouldn't because I still actually work in my field, and teaching it is professional suicide - they wouldn't have been able to hire me because all their teaching staff have to have a Bachelors.
bolded = very impressive

Old 02-14-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
bolded = very impressive
Well thank you, but not fishing, honest. Just trying to demonstrate there are no absolutes.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 02-14-2015 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Oops, Auto Correct.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:09 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Nor forget Thomas Edison, who was bored by school. No drive, no persistence. A biographer described him thusly in the classroom, "Young Edison was prone to distraction, he was deemed "difficult" by his teacher." Just a quitter, right.

What a subjectively bogus criterion.
Quote:
I agree with you both. BOLDED = GOLD

Although I have two college degrees, I won't judge others without college education. Matter of fact, I have met many brilliant people (software engineers, artists, etc) without college degree.

Yes: the man whose name now equates to “genius”; who published more than 300 scientific papers; the man behind E=MC2; the man who came up with the theory of relativity; and the man who won a Nobel prize—was in fact a high school dropout.

He attempted to get into university, but initially failed the entrance exams. He eventually made it into college and earned a degree, of course

But the simple fact of the matter is that the greatest mind of the twentieth century was in fact a high school dropout.

Can you guess who this person is?

I value higher education, but based on posts in this thread, many people who judge others based on college education certainly sound judgmental. (Perhaps these people live a very sheltered life.)

Old 02-14-2015, 03:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
One can't even get commissioned as a second lieutenant in today's United States active duty Army without a college degree.....

Old 02-14-2015, 03:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
It's a mark of the modern "liberal" to equate a college degree with intelligence and ability. I know that these folks have to defend the college degree as that is really the breeding ground of modern so called "liberalism", how many products of these institutions get out of the basement and actually raise their own children this way? If it ever got out that people could be successful and intelligent without college, who would make bank on all those overpriced student loans and raise the next generation of democrats?

It's a nice distraction, this idea that one must have a degree to be successful, or president, but we all know that even if Governor Walker, the man who has defeated democrats and liberal establishments and public employee unions in nationally funded campaigns, had that precious sheepskin they still would argue against voting for him. Because the talking points and union bosses told them not to. You don't need a degree to understand this.
No, a college degree is equated with hard work, commitment,discipline, and knowledge. Dropping out of college after barely passing classes for three and a half years (Scott Walker) is equated lack of discipline, lack of direction, lazy, and someone who wastes time and money.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:24 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't think I will. Governor Walker may have trouble being elected president for not having a degree.

Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president. - The Washington Post
No college degree isn't even normal for a world leader, not just an American president. If you think our international standing was wrecked by GWB, imagine what the rest of the world would think if a guy that didn't even finish college was in charge.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Don't worry about it, anybody (like myself) who graduated from college KNOW college education is nothing to brag about. I have an art degree. I have a friend doesn't even know what to do with his foreign language degree.

This may be startling to some, but intelligence is judged subjectively. This can cause problems when conflicts arise. One person’s genius is another person’s average individual. Someone who is not musically inclined will think the fifteen year old pianist next door is a musical genius. Intelligence and knowledge are all relative.
I don't think we are looking for the president to have an art degree.

BTW, earning degrees in business or the STEM majors are real work.

I am baffled by the anti-education rhetoric from the right to dumb down America. Can't they find a candidate with some qualifications? First Sarah, now a college dropout.

Quote:
Most Presidents of the United States received a college education, even most of the earliest. Of the first seven Presidents, five were college graduates. College degrees have set the Presidents apart from the general population, and Presidents have held such a degree even when this was quite rare and, indeed, unnecessary for practicing most occupations, including law.
List of Presidents of the United States by education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-14-2015, 03:36 PM

I think not finishing after committing to it and going through nearly the whole thing is a different circumstance than never going.

What if there was a brilliant person born of poverty that worked their way up through the political ranks after activism in their community, for instance? Who was, apart from a degree they couldn't afford - well read, well travelled, well connected, immensely respected and an effective, empathic leader of people?

Would they not qualify?

A long shot I know, but this is why I would be loathe to say never.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I think not finishing after committing to it and going through nearly the whole thing is a different circumstance than never going.

What if there was a brilliant person born of poverty that worked their way up through the political ranks after activism in their community, for instance? Who was, apart from a degree they couldn't afford - well read, well travelled, well connected, immensely respected and an effective, empathic leader of people?

Would they not qualify?

A long shot I know, but this is why I would be loathe to say never.
If that person is brilliant, they could go to college on academic scholarships, grants, and loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies