Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 07:07 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
If they immigrated and work here, they need to pay for Social Security or Medicare so it is their rights to benefit it. Otherwise, they should not contribute to it as well and they would have to pay more for their private insurance. Either way, it's not sustainable, I don't think the US want to lose that tax income just for the sake of it.

If you are talking about undocumented workers, I have never heard that they were covered by any sort of Social Security or Medicare. You can, if you apply for work permits, because you work. In this case, you contribute to the system, so there is no problem for them to be eligible as we fall back to the first case.

Also they would need to fill the conditions on the number of years spent working and contributing.

Long story short, what you say is already done for undocumented workers, and impossible to apply due to the huge financial loss for other foreign workers in my opinion.
WTH is an "undocumented" worker? They are illegal aliens! If Americans got their jobs back from them they in turn would be paying into SS and other income taxes. So you were sayin? Many illegals get paid cash and therefore pay no income taxes. Illegals aliens should have no rights in this country other than basic human ones and they can consider any taxes that they pay in as payback for their huge social costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:37 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WTH is an "undocumented" worker? They are illegal aliens! If Americans got their jobs back from them they in turn would be paying into SS and other income taxes. So you were sayin? Many illegals get paid cash and therefore pay no income taxes. Illegals aliens should have no rights in this country other than basic human ones and they can consider any taxes that they pay in as payback for their huge social costs.
Undocumented workers is the term used to define who they are, people without proper administrative documents. And they already have no rights in this country except the basic human ones so I really don't see your point.

For the jobs part, that's more to do with people hiring them. Hit them and you will get more results, but I still don't think Americans would take those jobs we're talking about, due to "prestige" and wages issues. But the world will not change just for those little children, and that has nothing to do with those workers you point out.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Undocumented workers is the term used to define who they are, people without proper administrative documents. And they already have no rights in this country except the basic human ones so I really don't see your point.

For the jobs part, that's more to do with people hiring them. Hit them and you will get more results, but I still don't think Americans would take those jobs we're talking about, due to "prestige" and wages issues. But the world will not change just for those little children, and that has nothing to do with those workers you point out.
In my conversations with small business owners, you are correct that they will hire illegals for work that natives will not do. one friend, a plumber told me that illegals will dig tunnels for $9/ hr. Natives would do it for about $15. They need to fine the hiring party so that they will stop being so greedy and hire the native.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:00 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
In my conversations with small business owners, you are correct that they will hire illegals for work that natives will not do. one friend, a plumber told me that illegals will dig tunnels for $9/ hr. Natives would do it for about $15. They need to fine the hiring party so that they will stop being so greedy and hire the native.
Yes. Fining the employers who hire the illegals is a more effective method at curbing illegal immigration. Illegals come to America to fill a demand. We need to end the demand first.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
If you've been reading current news, you'd have read that the govt wants to provide them SSNs Giving them access to earned income tax credits, child credits thru filing taxes for the previous 3 years. More disdain and disrespect for American taxpayers.
Well, guess what? Giving them SSNs actually codifies them as taxpayers! Isn't that a good thing? And if they're filing taxes, they're TAXPAYERS! Sounds like the American way. Unlike those transnational corporations who hire fancy lawyers to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, guess what? Giving them SSNs actually codifies them as taxpayers! Isn't that a good thing? And if they're filing taxes, they're TAXPAYERS! Sounds like the American way. Unlike those transnational corporations who hire fancy lawyers to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.
They are taxpayers ONLY if they are paying taxes. I'm not so sure if that's the case. Since they are overwhelmingly poor and have dependents, it's just as likely that they are receiving a multitude of tax credits and tax refunds. Our tax system favors very rich and very poor. The rest of us- not so much. Do you have any proof that they would PAY income taxes and not get back more than what they pay?

Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,714 times
Quote:
They are taxpayers ONLY if they are paying taxes. I'm not so sure if that's the case. Since they are overwhelmingly poor and have dependents, it's just as likely that they are receiving a multitude of tax credits and tax refunds. Our tax system favors very rich and very poor. The rest of us- not so much. Do you have any proof that they would PAY income taxes and not get back more than what they pay?
I think that it would be very hard to prove that point since the various welfare, social security and government support channels are not monitored on a holistic way so...

If they somehow paid taxes before, why not. If not, I suppose that they will have to be considered like new workers starting to contribute to the system.

I don't even know how to look for such information as usually, everyone filters out the figures to manipulate them and show that undocumented immigrants are shrinking the system by abusing all types of programs or being net contributors through consumption. However, I still believe that it can't be wrong to add more taxpayers in the system to make them contribute, if they did not do so before.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And there is no evidence that the credentials of the international students enrolled in the universities here are less than that of the native resident students. So if they are taking up slots in the schools, they are more than qualified for it.
Not necessarily.

They have to pay much higher tuition than U.S. students.

A lot of universities want that money. A good example is the University of California, which used to be heavily supported by the state of California. That support has significantly diminished. So tuition from out of state and international students is a much more significant part of the UC budget.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Illegal Immigration problem can be solved if there is a hefty fine for hiring illegal immigrant or for giving anybody less then minimum wage. Sometimes a Foreigner is in USA on a non working visa such as Tourist, Dependent, Student, Spouse and still working illegally at less then Minimum wage. How about hefty fine for 10 thousand Dollars for Employers for every illegal employee found working? They are also part of the problem. It amazes me that how people blame everything on Foreigners while they never blame those American employers who ae deliberately hiring illegal employees.
I don't know of a single person opposed to illegal immigration who isn't in favor of punishing Americans who knowingly hire illegal aliens.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
...but I still don't think Americans would take those jobs we're talking about, due to "prestige" and wages issues....
They would if we cut all able-bodied Americans off welfare.

And of course, wages for those jobs would go up because employers would no longer be able to pocket the difference between low pay for illegals and normal pay for U.S. citizens.

The only jobs Americans "won't do" are the ones they don't have to do.

We can change that in a heartbeat.

And save money into the bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies