Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The monthly premiums and deductible alone would total nearly what this bill was.. The fact that they have an out of pocket limit is meaningless, since its not even close tot he billed amount.. Even if it was, he'd STILL BE PAYING THE SAME AMOUNT..

What part of this dont you comprehend?
His GoFundMe goal is $30,000 and he has raised $20,000 . He had a heart attack and his wife has been hospitalized since November. His annual bills will be way more than $30000 and we don't know how much he has already paid from savings or by selling assets. He would still have been better off with insurance - premiums plus annual deduction would have topped out at $20,000 - less than what he'd be on the hook for pre ACA on a non-employer plan. Pre or post ACA it's stupid (esp. for +60 year olds) to try and predict your health and accident-proneness for the next year and decide whether insurance is worth it. Even after his wife's hospitalization in November he didn't think it wise to buy insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:00 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Idiotic principles, bad consequences.

It's a basic principle of Darwin's Law.
I agree and as Kenny Rogers sang " you have to know when to hold them know when to fold them"

I hope the forum does not mind me telling my personal story and keep in mind that I am conservative and against Obamacare.

When Obamacare was enacted my employer stopped offering health insurance which I need being in my mid 50s I have a couple of maintenance drugs to keep me healthy. Those 2 scripts cost over 200 bucks a month if I choose to make a stand. With out insurance seeing a doctor 4 times yearly is nearly 1000 bucks and then there is always what if something bad happens to you?

Well it did, I was involved in a car accident where my face hit the wind shield { no air bag } and the dash board and steering wheel ended up in my lap. It took them 45 mins to get me out and I was flown by helicopter to the hospital. It sounds bad but I only had cracked ribs some smalls cuts on face, dam I am tough or lucky

The helicopter ride alone was nearly 35,000 and the hospital and doctor was another 35,000. Without insurance there is no way on the low wages that I make that I could ever pay that. But I had Obamacare and it covered pretty much all of it leaving me a balance of around 2,000 which I am making payments.

So I think it is a fair question what is the {R}s alternative?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:44 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I agree and as Kenny Rogers sang " you have to know when to hold them know when to fold them"

I hope the forum does not mind me telling my personal story and keep in mind that I am conservative and against Obamacare.

When Obamacare was enacted my employer stopped offering health insurance which I need being in my mid 50s I have a couple of maintenance drugs to keep me healthy. Those 2 scripts cost over 200 bucks a month if I choose to make a stand. With out insurance seeing a doctor 4 times yearly is nearly 1000 bucks and then there is always what if something bad happens to you?

Well it did, I was involved in a car accident where my face hit the wind shield { no air bag } and the dash board and steering wheel ended up in my lap. It took them 45 mins to get me out and I was flown by helicopter to the hospital. It sounds bad but I only had cracked ribs some smalls cuts on face, dam I am tough or lucky

The helicopter ride alone was nearly 35,000 and the hospital and doctor was another 35,000. Without insurance there is no way on the low wages that I make that I could ever pay that. But I had Obamacare and it covered pretty much all of it leaving me a balance of around 2,000 which I am making payments.

After 6 years, the Republicans have finally come up with an alternate plan to replace Obamacare and Sheriff Mack is the patron saint of Republican health insurance reform.

The plan is: Set up a site and beg for donations to pay your medical bills.

This is A truly brilliant plan that didn't take 3000 pages to compile. It's simple, leaves the free market system intact. Works on Christian Charity, which everyone knows, there is a surplus of in America.
After 6 years of foot dragging the Republicans have finally offered the alternative to Obamacare. They should use this as their signature piece of public policy in the upcoming 2016 elections. I'm sure all America will be thrilled at the brilliant, simplicity of the plan.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:48 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
so all the people being subsidized by others are also turd stains?
Do you like driving on public roads that wouldn't exist without taxpayer subsidies?
Do you enjoy breathing clean air and drinking clean water that exists because of the EPA?
Do you enjoy using the internet a technology that was invented and developed under government funding?
Do you enjoy having fire and police protection?

If not then I suggest you move to the boonies where you can go live off the grid like a mountain man
and be completely free from all those evil government subsidies you love to complain about
yet are using on a daily basis and take for granted.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:48 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Your apparent glee over his misfortune is disturbing.
Where were your crocodile tears when the self-employed and independent contractors with no access to group medical insurance were being called leeches and moochers here on CD for simply wanting access to healthcare we could afford? The derision of the millions of people who benefited from the ACA is legendary on this forum. No compassion to be found there--just plenty of gleeful name-calling.

This fool is getting a taste of what the ACA was put in place to avoid. And it's his right to bankrupt himself and go begging on the metaphorical street corner with his little tin cup and a sign that says, "I'm an idiot. Please help me pay for my continuing idiocy." But don't expect those of us who he worked so damn hard to keep shut out of medical insurance to feel bad for him.

I do, however, really feel for his poor children. They have fools for parents.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Do you like driving on public roads that wouldn't exist without taxpayer subsidies?
Do you enjoy breathing clean air and drinking clean water that is possible because of the EPA?
Do you enjoy using the internet a technology that was invented and developed under government funding?

If not then I suggest you move to the boonies where you can go live off the grid like a mountain man
and be completely free from all those evil government subsidies you love to complain about
oh ridiculous. The government doesnt build roads, unless the consumer creates a demand for them..

And the water and air was getting cleaner, prior to the EPA creation, the states began regulating and controlling pollution.

And the government "internet" relied upon privately owned phone lines etc, in order to work.

Just stop embarassing yourself..

Old 02-28-2015, 12:55 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post

Glad you were ok but obamacare caused the problem and then covered some of your bills that seems kinda pointless.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:59 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
oh ridiculous. The government doesnt build roads, unless the consumer creates a demand for them..

And the water and air was getting cleaner, prior to the EPA creation, the states began regulating and controlling pollution.

And the government "internet" relied upon privately owned phone lines etc, in order to work.

Just stop embarassing yourself..

Public roads are subsidized by taxpayers and are owned by the government (taxpayers).
Phone lines are public utilities that are leased to private entities. Just as the airwaves are owned
by government and leased to private entities. Police and fire are funded by taxpayers.

If you don't like it move to the mountains.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,579 times
Quote:
Do you enjoy breathing clean air and drinking clean water that exists because of the EPA?
Do you enjoy having fire and police protection?

Pay 50 cents a gallon tax on fuel, massive vehicle registration fees, state income, federal income, local sales tax. I kick down my share. I pay a monthly fee + tax on my internet and cellphone.

The issue was someone calling this guy a turd stain for mooching but not thinking others with massive obamacare subsidies were turd stains. I didn't call either party a turd stain I just needed clarification on some hypocritical statements.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Public roads are subsidized by taxpayers and are owned by the government (taxpayers).
Phone lines are public utilities that are leased to private entities. Just as the airwaves are owned
by government and leased to private entities. Police and fire are funded by taxpayers.

If you don't like it move to the mountains.
Public roads are built when a developer comes in and decides where he's going to build housing and commercial properties.

These properties pay TAXES...

Government just doesnt run a dam road and then hope people come along..

And phone lines are owned by the utility companies, the space they are run in, is publicly owned, but paid for again, by the dam utility companies..

You want to just make things up to pretend government somehow pushes demand when in reality they react to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies