Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Sweet Cakes By Melissa, Oregon Bakery. They were shut down so you should be happy.
So after civil rights laws were passed in the 1964, I wonder how many bakeries and other services and businesses decided they had no other choice other than to shut down, rather than serve Blacks and other races?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
The bakery that was shut down had a cross hanging on the wall and framed writings from scripture. Where they stood was obvious.
That's not true. There are many Christian business owners who have crosses and scripture displayed, who don't have any problem with providing service and goods to gay people.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
"There's nothing immoral about me telling you that you have to sell me whatever I want of yours or else I will get an armed posse to coerce you into on your own property. After all I have the majority on my side in this set of arbitrary boundary lines."
There's something immoral about you telling me that before you will sell me something that you are selling to the general public, that I have to comply with your religious beliefs or I will be denied those goods.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:49 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Obviously they have strong religious convictions.

Were they a private non-profit religious organization?? Or a public for-profit business whose owners happen to be religious??

Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And if they justify their desire to discriminate against gays based on how grossly offensive their sex acts are, then how are they supposed to judge if their straight customers engage in sex acts they would also judge as grossly offensive?
Since they are not discriminating against anyone based on their sexual practices, it is a moot point. These religious merchants routinely sell products to homosexuals, without question, and are very pleased to do so.

It is the potential association with a ceremony that they find religiously offensive that is the issue here.

In fact, as far as I am aware, there are no major religions anywhere in the world that believe that people should be discriminated in the marketplace based on their sexual orientation. There is certainly nothing in the Bible that teaches that and I am not aware of any Christians that believe that this behavior is desirable or appropriate. So your post is completely misguided and wrong.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post

... America was founded by a bunch of religious people who wanted to establish religious freedom and protect their right to practice their faith without interference from the state.
The above statement is not true. Most of the "founding fathers" were educated men of the Age of Enlightenment and took a skeptical view of churches and religious dogmas. Ben Franklin (whose house would be a walking distance from my house) not a "religious" man. Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the Bible editing out all references to Jesus Christ, whom he did not believe in. Thomas Paine was an all out atheist.

Since Victorian times there has been some revisionists trying to push the idea the founding fathers were devout. Many of them did not "buy" Christianity and considered themselves Deists.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:28 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Should they also be allowed to throw a black and white couple out of their bakery for wanting a cake made for their wedding?
How about if the business required the future wife bring in a Certificate of Virginity from a doctor before they will do business with them...

Old 04-03-2015, 12:31 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There's something immoral about you telling me that before you will sell me something that you are selling to the general public, that I have to comply with your religious beliefs or I will be denied those goods.
It very well could be but the question is, is the government capable or should they even be the morality police?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It very well could be but the question is, is the government capable or should they even be the morality police?
To which I would point out that it's the religious people who are trying to get the government to pass laws to protect them as they police the public's morality by punishing people who don't share their values. That's what refusing service is, a form of punishment, a sort of shunning. Morality policing in a nutshell.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:38 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
IMO I don't think of this as a moral issue. Those are for religious organizations and not public ones. If you want to do business in the public domain, then you are expected to serve the public without imposing your personal (and sometimes religious) beliefs on said public. You should treat all customers the same. If your business sign says "Open" and a customer walks through the doors, they should be able to buy anything you offer for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies