Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 07:38 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And on a final note, here's my perspective: If you are a specifically religious organization (church, synagogue, mosque etc.) and your religious beliefs preclude allowing same sex couple to marry or participate in anyway in your house of worship, I support your right to do so. But, if you're a bakery who has applied for and received a business license from your municipality and opened your doors to the public in order to provide them with tasty baked goods, you should provide those baked goods without regard to your personal religious beliefs. If your religious beliefs about same sex marriage compel you to refuse a wedding cake to a same sex couple, then don't sell wedding cakes at all. Problem solved.
You are incorrect. First Amendment right:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Refusing to play a participatory role (provide goods/services) in a same-sex marriage if one's religion prohibits such is a guaranteed exercising of one's First Amendment right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:41 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You are incorrect. First Amendment right:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Refusing to play a participatory role (provide goods/services) in a same-sex marriage if one's religion prohibits such is a guaranteed exercising of one's First Amendment right.
Opening a bakery is establishing a religion? What does one worship..... donuts and cupcakes?

And I disagree, providing good/services in a PUBLIC business is far different than a Church being forced to perform a same sex marriage. When you open a PUBLIC business, you are expected to serve the public regardless of your PERSONAL religious beliefs. If making a wedding cake is an issue for you, then open a gas station. Oh wait, some same sex couple may stop by to fill up on the way to their wedding. Oh the horror.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Not so much. There are indeed "Christians" (and I use that term very loosely) who believe quite the opposite. Some of them were posting in this thread yesterday, but due to the vileness and hatred in their posts, the mods deleted them. If you truly believe that all "Christians" welcome homosexuals in all areas of public life, you are the one who is projecting. IF those so called "Christians" actually followed the teachings of Christ, they would behave in a far different manner.

I do not disagree that the rhetoric on the other side can be ugly as well. I don't condone that either. But, to accuse one side while calling the other fully inclusive and loving is laughable.
So the evidence to support your apparently baseless claim just conveniently vanished. LOL.

You can cite no specific example? Not one? Really? That says quite a lot, actually.

I will leave the extremist terms "all" and "none" to you. In my experience, there can nearly always be found an exception to any rule. But truth be told, I have not seen an example of an exception to this one.

Of course this not only applies to merchants, but to evangelical churches also. Homosexuals are not only welcome but encouraged to attend. I am sorry if this conflicts with the talking points that are being repeated in the leftist echo chambers that you frequent, but what you believe is just plain wrong here.

And we need look no further than this particular pizza shop for an example of this, as the owner said she was happy to serve anyone in her store, including homosexuals. It is just this ceremony that she find religiously offensive and that she is not willing to cater.

The vileness and hatred here has clearly been demonstrated by the homo-fascist bullies and their supporters who have conspired together to try to actively ruin this woman and to threaten her very life. And that is a fact, as you know very well.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Opening a bakery is establishing a religion? What does one worship..... donuts and cupcakes?
Exercising one's religion means that one cannot be legally forced to violate one's religion under any circumstances except compelling reason. The ability of same-sex couples planning to marry to hire another baker, florist, photographer, caterer, etc., without such religious restrictions does not constitute compelling reason.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:53 AM

800 posts, read 781,692 times
I suppose a compelling reason would be NOT VIOLATING OTHER PEOPLE'S RIGHTS.

I'm all for private rights to your religion. But as soon as that infringes on my rights or the rights of others

Very proud of the American business community to standing up to Indiana's governor. Very proud of my alma mater, IU, doing the same.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Right-wingers make up all manner of nonsense trying to justify what they want freedom of religion to mean. Come to grips with it, people: It does not mean what you want it to mean. You just wish it did - that's all.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So the evidence to support your apparently baseless claim just conveniently vanished. LOL.

You can cite no specific example? Not one? Really? That says quite a lot, actually.

I will leave the extremist terms "all" and "none" to you. In my experience, there can nearly always be found an exception to any rule. But truth be told, I have not seen an example of an exception to this one.

Of course this not only applies to merchants, but to evangelical churches also. Homosexuals are not only welcome but encouraged to attend. I am sorry if this conflicts with the talking points that are being repeated in the leftist echo chambers that you frequent, but what you believe is just plain wrong here.

And we need look no further than this particular pizza shop for an example of this, as the owner said she was happy to serve anyone in her store, including homosexuals. It is just this ceremony that she find religiously offensive and that she is not willing to cater.

The vileness and hatred here has clearly been demonstrated by the homo-fascist bullies and their supporters who have conspired together to try to actively ruin this woman and to threaten her very life. And that is a fact, as you know very well.
It was deleted by the mods. I am not in the habit of copying people's posts, so no I can't paste them here. But, unless you've been living under a rock, you can't have failed to notice that there are people who hate homosexuals so much that they believe death is justifiable for them. That you have not seen an exception to the all encompassing love and acceptance you seem to believe exists simply means you are ignoring anything that does not conform to your views.

And I had to LOL at your calling me a leftist. Hate to break it to you, but I'm a registered Republican. I'm just not one of those extremist tea bagging types.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I suppose a compelling reason would be NOT VIOLATING OTHER PEOPLE'S RIGHTS.

I'm all for private rights to your religion. But as soon as that infringes on my rights or the rights of others
Doesn't work that way. There's no compelling reason to force business owners to violate their First Amendment right to the free exercise of their religion when other similar businesses can meet the need for same-sex wedding goods and services.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Religious freedom is covered in the 1st Amendment.

This is of course, a bull**** law pandering to the Christian psychopath.
As opposed to the psychopaths that think it's ok to engage in unnatural acts with each other that have no chance at procreation?

Explain the psychosis behind that as long as you are dropping into the gutter that you seem to like to dwell in. Nasty little troll?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
It was deleted by the mods. I am not in the habit of copying people's posts, so no I can't paste them here. But, unless you've been living under a rock, you can't have failed to notice that there are people who hate homosexuals so much that they believe death is justifiable for them. That you have not seen an exception to the all encompassing love and acceptance you seem to believe exists simply means you are ignoring anything that does not conform to your views.

And I had to LOL at your calling me a leftist. Hate to break it to you, but I'm a registered Republican. I'm just not one of those extremist tea bagging types.
Sure it was. {sarcasm}

I have noticed the people who hate homosexuals so much they want them dead. All those people are Muslims over in the Middle East. If you are suggesting that there are Christians here in this country that share that view, then I will ask you to prove it.

Either put up or shut up. You offer lots of baseless incendiary assertions, and when asked for specifics, you are unable to back your assertions up.

It is the same with both of the bolded comments from your post above. And as far as your assertion that you are a Republican, just not the "tea bagging" type, I am tempted to add that to the list, but I will just sit here and smirk in disbelief instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies