Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 05:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The first amendment guarantees that business owners don't have to get a same-sex marriage themselves. Your rights end where mine begin. They don't have the right to discriminate in their businesses (and someone else's marriage) if they are offering a public accommodation.

See the difference?
You say his rights end where your rights begin yet you seem to believe you have unlimited rights. You have the right to his property whenever you want. If you want something that he has you believe you have the right to it even if he doesn't want to sell it. How is that fair? From that vantage point it appears your rights have no end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
So when someone chooses to own property you have a right to dictate their behavior?
If the owner of that property decides to open it as a business, yes there are laws regarding operating a business.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
But you can impose yours on me, and, use it as justification to refuse service? Sounds a tad hypocritical.
You don't have a RIGHT to buy cake! No one is "imposing" anything on you. When you step into the bakery you are stepping on to another person's property, property that is NOT yours. That seems to be a hard concept for statists to follow, some property is private. The bakery does not belong to the "public" and it doesn't belong to you. If you do not like the owner's Christian beliefs you have the right to not shop there and go somewhere else.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
No.

LBGT individuals are asking for the same rights you have. You can walk in to a bakery, or pizzaria and not worry about being humiliated and unserved. That's what the LBGT community is insisting on. You can feel any damn way you want about it, but, in public, you must be non-discriminatory in your behavior.
No one has a right to not have their feelings hurt or not be humiliated. If I had known about all of these magical "rights" that seem to spring up on C-D I would have sued my teacher that one time I got a bad grade because I was humiliated and my feelings were hurt.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:19 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
If you do not like the owner's Christian beliefs you have the right to not shop there and go somewhere else.
You are correct! People can decide where they shop, but businesses ("public accommodations"), with some exceptions, can't discriminate in who they serve.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:20 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

Pence is watching his political future circling the toilet bowl on the way down.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:37 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Nobody's being punished. The baker of conscience simply wants to lead an upstanding life in accordance with her demanding faith, and isn't going to want to build a same-gender appointed cake theme that she knows beforehand gets used in a religiously disagreeable rite the knowing furnishment of which would jeopardize her spiritual growth. But you couldn't give a sh-, because it's all about you.

You people literally can't tell the difference--and you still want to social engineer others.

Last edited by mm4; 04-02-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 05:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Nobody's being punished. The baker of conscience simply wants to lead an upstanding life in accordance with her demanding faith and isn't going to want to build a same-gender appointed cake theme that she knows beforehand gets used in a religiously disagreeable rite, the knowing furnishment of which would jeopardize her spiritual growth. But you couldn't give a sh-, because it's all about you.

You people literally can't tell the difference--and you still want to social engineer others.
If she can not sell a product in accordance with the laws, she should not sell that product.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:50 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If she can not sell a product in accordance with the laws, she should not sell that product.
And the laws are being changed. Got a problem with that?

Old 04-02-2015, 05:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Nobody's being punished. The baker of conscience simply wants to lead an upstanding life in accordance with her demanding faith and isn't going to want to build a same-gender appointed cake theme that she knows beforehand gets used in a religiously disagreeable rite, the knowing furnishment of which would jeopardize her spiritual growth. But you couldn't give a sh-, because it's all about you.

At the risk of wasting my time again. I'm against laws that would force people to serve those they do not want to so you can't dismiss me by painting me in your box.

What sort of faith is this that is demanding? I consider myself to have faith but its voluntary, not demanding.

Maybe hers is different which is why I ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies