Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 03:56 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Being a good Christian means you oppose homosexual acts including homosexual marriage.
Not true. Look at the Christianity denominations that sanction same-sex marriage:

Where Christian churches, other religions stand on gay marriage | Pew Research Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 04:08 PM

546 posts, read 409,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I agree, but I'd say the important debate about faith and equality amounts to this:

There’s a general context underlying all of this. Many conservatives are interested in expanding the notion of “religious freedom” beyond just private notions of how to worship. The bottom line is that some people what religious people to have special rights that exempt them from certain laws because of their religious beliefs. These exemptions would not be available to people who want to do the same thing based of general philosophical views.

In other words, religious faith is supposed to out-rank more general philosophical views when it comes to claiming exemptions from certain laws. If an atheist wants to claim an exemption from laws prohibiting the possession of pot for some philosophical reason, it's no good, but if a religious person wants to claim this exemption based on a traditional religious practice, then the appeal might work. Lot's of weird things could happen here. Should Satanism be considered a form of religious faith in the eyes of the law? Why or why not?

I think the successes of atheists in some legal settings has fueled this "push-back" from certain conservative religious people. This could get messy. But, you're right; this is not just an "Indiana" issue. There are, as you say, some important debates to be had here.
Some of us just want people to be able to live their lives and abide by their own moral/ethical code as much as possible without interference.

I want the most freedom for the most people possible, with government stepping in only when the exercise of freedom by some significantly negatively impacts the lives of others.

I don't think Adam and Steve getting married significantly impacts anyone's lives but their own, so let them marry. But if Eve wants no part of the wedding ceremony, even if she is the only florist or baker in town, she should not have to provider her services to assist them celebrating the occasion. It doesn't matter to me if it is because Eve opposes same sex marriage or because Steve pushed her down on the playground in 2nd grade.

Adam and Steve can get married even if they have to go pick some wildflowers for the ceremony. Eve isn't infringing on their right to marry, they should not infringe on her time and effort if she doesn't want to provide it.

Sounds fair enough to me.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:09 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not true. Look at the Christianity denominations that sanction same-sex marriage:

Where Christian churches, other religions stand on gay marriage | Pew Research Center
Yes. There has been an evolution. But these religious organizations have moved to adopt a humanistic tolerance that fits their liberal view of what they want the world to be rather than what the Bible teaches and how historic Christianity handled homosexuality. Are we to believe that Indiana and Arkansas and every other states that are looking at similar laws are but a tiny minority of Christians? I don't buy it. They represent mainstream and traditional Christian beliefs. The ones with the tolerant views are the heretics.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Yes. There has been an evolution. But these religious organizations have moved to adopt a humanistic tolerance that fits their liberal view of what they want the world to be rather than what the Bible teaches and how historic Christianity handled homosexuality. Are we to believe that Indiana and Arkansas and every other states that are looking at similar laws are but a tiny minority of Christians? I don't buy it. They represent mainstream and traditional Christian beliefs. The ones with the tolerant views are the heretics.
Did you address my questions to you? No.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
H*ll (since we're talking about religion!), it seems Indiana's legislature isn't doing a good job of representing the good people of Indiana, especially the business community, considering the opposition to this law.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Do you not believe in the teachings of Jesus as told in the New Testament? If you do, then you identify as a Christian and as such should follow the teachings of Jesus. If you are not a Christian and instead a Jew, then I understand your adherence to Old Testament teachings. If you claim to be a Christian, then you have a big problem. Either you accept the Gospels of Jesus and follow his teachings in the New Testament (which do not condemn homosexuality) or you disregard his words about love and follow your own bias. Tough call.
If I go to the Church of Christ down the road, I am not going to hear much New Testament teachings. When they read and quote the Bible, it's mostly the Old Testament. They don't like homosexuals generally or homosexual marriage passionately. They want the government to allow them to act out their beliefs in the conduct of their daily affairs. They claim to be true Christians and go so far as to believe that others who don't agree with them are sinners destined for eternal damnation.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:37 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
If I go to the Church of Christ down the road, I am not going to hear much New Testament teachings. When they read and quote the Bible, it's mostly the Old Testament. They don't like homosexuals generally or homosexual marriage passionately. They want the government to allow them to act out their beliefs in the conduct of their daily affairs. They claim to be true Christians and go so far as to believe that others who don't agree with them are sinners destined for eternal damnation.
That's super funny! They claim to be Christians and yet ignore the words and teachings of Christ. They are aware that all that Old Testament stuff is not Christian teaching with it being, you know, before Christ?

Old 04-02-2015, 04:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
That's super funny! They claim to be Christians and yet ignore the words and teachings of Christ. They are aware that all that Old Testament stuff is not Christian teaching with it being, you know, before Christ?
If you haven't noticed Ponderosa makes things up.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:58 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you haven't noticed Ponderosa makes things up.

As do many people all in the name of justifying their intolerance to others.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
People can believe whatever the hell they want in their personal lives. However, when they have a business and provide a service they must act in a non-discriminatory manner, it really isn't a hard concept.
So when someone chooses to own property you have a right to dictate their behavior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies