Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
It's terrorism because of the obvious effect it will have on travel and airlines in Europe now.
It most likely will have little to no effect. Are you afraid of going into a Federal Building? I'm certainly not.

Quote:
Now that we know the details, the only way one could argue it's not terrorism is if this guy was mentally ill and not living in reality, had a fantasy going in his mind of what he was doing.
Which is as likely to be the case as not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 09:50 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
What this shows is that if someone wants to do something destructive bad enough they are going to do it unless we simply get lucky. We institute door locks after 9-11 and it leads to this. Whatever we decide after this won't stop someone absolutely intent on either harming themselves or others. They will find a way.

We can feel up all the grandma's and little kids in the world but it didn't stop this from happening.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:50 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
I just looked at his photo. Despite being German he looks....French...and he jogged. That OBVIOUSLY indicates his intention. Those jogging Germans who look like Frenchmen are all alike. Plus, he lived with his parents. At 28.

Last edited by LauraC; 03-26-2015 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 09:55 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
From the beginning, this crash seemed suspicious since it made a regulated descent into the mountains with no distress calls.
I didn't understand why Obama came out the same day and said there was no indications of terror, since no one really knew at that point.
Turns out, this was no accident. The voice recorder shows that the co-pilot asked the pilot if he could control the plane for a bit. The pilot said yes, and left the cockpit for a few minutes. When he returned, the door was locked. The pilot tried to break in to the cockpit, but was unsuccessful, and the co-pilot purposefully crashed into the mountains, killing everyone on board.

We don't know the co-pilot's motivation yet, but it seems like in the future, the responsible thing to do would be wait for the investigation whether than running out and declaring it's not terrorism the first day.

Germanwings Flight 9525 crashed "intentionally" by co-pilot - CBS News
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I'm guessing Obama ruled out terrorism because he couldn't find a youtube video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Obamas first instinct is to discount terror because he knows most terror attacks are done by muslims. They are not releasing the co-pilot's religion. I hope they find some clue on motivation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Maybe the co-pilot had a heart attack, or some other medical condition which rendered him/her unconscious? The one glaring whole in that argument is that it appears the plane was purposely set on the course which destroyed the plane, and I'm not sure if simply falling unconscious could trigger that or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Who said Obama had anything to do with it? I went back to see where the reference was made to blame Obama, and it does not exist. You are just inventing crap out of thin air.
Then you must be blind. You also have a horrible memory. May I remind you that your response was a response to the OP which had this in it: I didn't understand why Obama came out the same day and said there was no indications of terror, since no one really knew at that point. I also did not say that someone BLAMED Obama for this, those are your words. Incorrect words I might add. What I said was "How does Obama have anything to do with this?" And when someone mentions Obama in connection with this crash, that is involving him. Absurd.

Last edited by thefragile; 03-26-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 09:55 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,287 times
Who messed with the autopilot?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
It's terrorism because of the obvious effect it will have on travel and airlines in Europe now.

Now that we know the details, the only way one could argue it's not terrorism is if this guy was mentally ill and not living in reality, had a fantasy going in his mind of what he was doing.
Terrorism is not simply a synonym for fear.

In order for this to be terrorism the copilot would have to be trying to instill fear in people thru his actions.

If he had a terrorist agenda wouldn't you think he'd have revealed it via the voice recorder, or left a statement behind. The later could still be true. If he were an Islamic terrorist, he should have spit out the obligatory "Allahu Akbar" just before impact to make sure god was listening to ensure he got his virgins in heaven.

If this was a disgruntled person trying to get back at someone, you think he'd have made a statement in the cockpit.

So far this just seems to be a suicide, and a ticket straight to hell.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Obama said" no indication of terrorism", the same thing Merkel, the Spanish and French government said.
Why the need to even go there? I might understand if they were asked by a reporter if there was any sign of terrorism, or do these people feel the need to make that comment anyway? I mean, we knew nothing about what happened, so the proper response could just as well have been there is no indication of anything at all.

There also was no indication of witchcraft, alien abductions, the hand of god, or any indication that a Russian fighter plane shot it down either.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,429 times
Quote:
From the beginning, this crash seemed suspicious since it made a regulated descent into the mountains with no distress calls.
I didn't understand why Obama came out the same day and said there was no indications of terror, since no one really knew at that point.
Turns out, this was no accident. The voice recorder shows that the co-pilot asked the pilot if he could control the plane for a bit. The pilot said yes, and left the cockpit for a few minutes. When he returned, the door was locked. The pilot tried to break in to the cockpit, but was unsuccessful, and the co-pilot purposefully crashed into the mountains, killing everyone on board.

We don't know the co-pilot's motivation yet, but it seems like in the future, the responsible thing to do would be wait for the investigation whether than running out and declaring it's not terrorism the first day.

Germanwings Flight 9525 crashed "intentionally" by co-pilot - CBS News
I can't find where Obama claimed there were no indications of terror. Do you have a link backing up your assertion?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...int-press-conf

Old 03-26-2015, 10:12 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I can't find where Obama claimed there were no indications of terror. Do you have a link backing up your assertion?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...int-press-conf

quit using sources and facts, thats not the point here

Old 03-26-2015, 10:17 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,429 times
Quote:
Read my OP again. I didn't say it was terrorism. I specifically said we don't know why the co-pilot did it. I agree that every mass killing isn't motivated by terrorism.

An appropriate response from the White House, imo, would be to send condolences to the families involved and wait for the investigation.
You mean like the following:

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Good afternoon, everybody. Please have a seat. Before I begin, I want to say that our thoughts and prayers are with our friends in Europe, especially the people of Germany and Spain, following a terrible airplane crash in France. It’s particularly heartbreaking because it apparently includes the loss of so many children, some of them infants.
I called German Chancellor Merkel -- and I hope to speak with President Rajoy of Spain later today -- to express the condolences of the American people and to offer whatever assistance that we can as they investigate what has proven to be an awful tragedy. Our teams are in close contact, and we’re working to confirm how many Americans may have been onboard. Germany and Spain are among our strongest allies in the world, and our message to them is that, as their steadfast friend and ally, America stands with them at this moment of sorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies