Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Apparently the pilot suspended his training for a while because he was dealing with depression, so this could just be a severe mental health issue. Interesting that he passed the psych screenings. Wonder if they screen someone more closely if there is a known history or depression, etc.?
I read that he "took an 11 month break from piloting":

Quote:
He said the co-pilot had taken an 11-month break, during which he worked as a flight attendant but that he passed all the relevant checks upon restarting. Spohr said the break was not unusual and declined to give details of the reasons behind the pause in training.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lufthansa-...--finance.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:14 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Blowing up, hijacking and crashing planes has been a terrorist staple for decades.
But it has also been a staple of crazy people for decades too! Remember Japan Airlines, PSA (Pacific South West Airlines) and EgyptAir 990. All examples of controlled flight into terrain or water by their pilots!

Old 03-26-2015, 01:22 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,106 times
The 11 month break where he apparently served as a flight attendent seems out of the ordinary....at least from this American's perspective. Why did he need this break? Psychological problems? Did he take any extended visits to the Middle East?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
The link you posted states this: "Terrorism fears quickly emerged on social media in the wake of the devastating Germanwings Flight 9525 plane crash that rattled Europe Tuesday" then this: ""There is no indication of a nexus to terrorism at this time,†Bernadette Meehan, spokeswoman for the U.S. National Security Council, said in a statement, according to the Associated Press. The White House said U.S. officials were in contact with authorities in France, Germany and Spain regarding the plane crash that presumably left all 150 people dead. Most of the passengers were of German, Spanish and Turkish nationalities."

No mention of the White House saying a word about terrorism.
The spokesman for the National Security Council says nothing not already authorized by the NSC and its Chairman (either President Obama or if chaired by Joe Biden himself)

You need to learn that the National Security Council is a part of the Office of the President f the USA and when it handles routine maters is chaired by the Vice President (i.e Joe Biden) but if it is a crisis the President can choose to sit in the Chairman seat. Since this had already risen to the level of communicating with heads of government or heads of state you can rest assured anything Bernadette said was cleared with Barrack Obama America's head of state and head of government.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:41 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The spokesman for the National Security Council says nothing not already authorized by the NSC and its Chairman (either President Obama or if chaired by Joe Biden himself)

You need to learn that the National Security Council is a part of the Office of the President f the USA and when it handles routine maters is chaired by the Vice President (i.e Joe Biden) but if it is a crisis the President can choose to sit in the Chairman seat. Since this had already risen to the level of communicating with heads of government or heads of state you can rest assured anything Bernadette said was cleared with Barrack Obama America's head of state and head of government.
True, but there is nothing wrong, despite right wing outrage, with the original statement of "no indications of terror at this time".

Old 03-26-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
France has requested the help of the FBI to get to the ottom of this.
The co pilot was trained to fly the A320 at a Luthansa run flight school in Arizona USA . This would be reason enough to involve the FBI since Americans might have to be interviewed concerning this man.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
True, but would you, soon after such an incident when few details are actually know about the crash, publicly announce that it's NOT terrorism?
Of course the administration didn't do that did they.

What the NSC spokesperson said was "There is no indication of a nexus to terrorism at this time."

Old 03-26-2015, 03:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Amazing. All the additional information that has come to light and still people are clinging to sanitized versions of events! People... this isn't like your doctor telling you that you have to come clean with your spouse about your affair because you've given them an STD. Denial there is understandable. Its personal, doesn't get much closer to home. Why this need to protect an individual none of you know? Its ok to call this what it apparently is: a tragic murder/suicide. That cockpit door didn't lock by itself! Someone suffering a seizure doesn't disable autopilots and hold aircraft on a steady course towards a mountainside.

It must clearly not be well known that there is a German National Movement that is extremely critical of the way Germany and other Western European countries have been handling Muslim immigration. Do none of you remember the mass shooting in Norway? That was the motive for the first ever mass shooting in that country. It is NOT inconceivable that nationalistic idealism played a part.

But... but... there is this... I am almost ashamed to bring this into the open... it really would help if the rest of you would open up insight into possibilities beyond a freaking stroke! The guy did what? Took 11 months off to be a flight attendant? Hello Kitty! My earlier post made with a considerable amount of tongue in cheek is vindicated, validated and vetted for veracity. Dude was **************, on a flight deck with some of the most obnoxiously hetero men (and women) that ever developed from a zygote. I know, I know... very un PC. Fine... keep imagining he suffered a low blood sugar episode. I will keep imagining that he had a lot more on his plate than the average jet jockey but was unable to cut the mustard.

And, and... I'm not done. We've all seen pics of this guy by now. Tell me... does he look Aryan to you? That might not mean anything at all and it might mean a whole lot. I'm just saying. People take things different ways. How far back do we need to go to know just where this guy came from? Maybe he just found out... "son, I have something to tell you..." maybe he found out when he took the hiatus from flying... I could be terribly off base but at least I am not suggesting that a $100 million dollar airplane's autopilot can't keep it flying level because the pilot (co-pilot, if you need to split hairs) who was in excellent health at his last physical, suddenly went into cardiac arrest when faced with the daunting task of monitoring an aircraft, cruising on autopilot, while the pilot went out on a bio break.

H

Last edited by Leisesturm; 03-26-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 03:38 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Thank god for that tamper proof door

Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Apparently the pilot suspended his training for a while because he was dealing with depression, so this could just be a severe mental health issue. Interesting that he passed the psych screenings. Wonder if they screen someone more closely if there is a known history or depression, etc.?
Do you have a source for your claim that he was dealing with depression?

I've been reading the German media and have found nothing at all suggesting anything about depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies