Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times

Advertisements

How much money and frustration do we spend on security theatre at the airport? Think about that. Then think about the fact that in the past year, two airliners have been deliberately crashed by the flight crew. Not terrorism, not a mechanical problem. Deliberate downing of the plane by the very people entrusted with our safety.

If the person flying the plane wants it to crash, IT WILL CRASH. And there is nothing that anyone can do about it, and there is likely no way to know in advance. All the TSA agents and all the defense spending in the world can't stop it.

The question I have is: why did the pilot exit the cockpit? We will probably never know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I can't find where Obama claimed there were no indications of terror. Do you have a link backing up your assertion?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...int-press-conf

The link in the OP and many more attribute Obama's National Security spokesman with saying no link to terror. The White House speaks for Obama. Even the HuffPo posted a story about the "White House" saying there was no link to terror.

And while we were saying no link to terror, the French were saying it couldn't be excluded.

Quote:
While U.S. security officials said there was no evidence of terrorist activity, French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said “no explanation for the crash can be excluded.” The comments were made during an address before parliament Tuesday afternoon as search and rescue teams began scouring the wreckage by air and on foot.
Were Terrorists Behind Germanwings Flight 9525 Crash? White House Says

Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
I bet that co pilot had a Quran tucked away somewhere in his home..

Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
How much money and frustration do we spend on security theatre at the airport? Think about that. Then think about the fact that in the past year, two airliners have been deliberately crashed by the flight crew. Not terrorism, not a mechanical problem. Deliberate downing of the plane by the very people entrusted with our safety.

If the person flying the plane wants it to crash, IT WILL CRASH. And there is nothing that anyone can do about it, and there is likely no way to know in advance. All the TSA agents and all the defense spending in the world can't stop it.

The question I have is: why did the pilot exit the cockpit? We will probably never know the answer.
News is reporting that he had to go to the bathroom.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post

You know people have to go to the bathroom on flights, right? Are pilots exempt from this basic human function?

Old 03-26-2015, 10:25 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
From the beginning, this crash seemed suspicious since it made a regulated descent into the mountains with no distress calls.
I didn't understand why Obama came out the same day and said there was no indications of terror, since no one really knew at that point.
Turns out, this was no accident. The voice recorder shows that the co-pilot asked the pilot if he could control the plane for a bit. The pilot said yes, and left the cockpit for a few minutes. When he returned, the door was locked. The pilot tried to break in to the cockpit, but was unsuccessful, and the co-pilot purposefully crashed into the mountains, killing everyone on board.

We don't know the co-pilot's motivation yet, but it seems like in the future, the responsible thing to do would be wait for the investigation whether than running out and declaring it's not terrorism the first day.

Germanwings Flight 9525 crashed "intentionally" by co-pilot - CBS News
After reading the new info they released today, I'm wondering why the pilot that was locked out didn't seek help in kicking the door down from the passengers sooner.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,225 times
I think if this crash or any of the strange ones in the past year had been Islamic terrorists they would want it to be known that they were the ones responsible. If kept silent, how does that help their cause? Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You know people have to go to the bathroom on flights, right? Are pilots exempt from this basic human function?
I never said that. I hadn't read that he needed to use the bathroom. The front-page NYTimes article I just read indicates that they don't know why he left the cockpit.

Still, it seems strange to me that the pilot would leave the cockpit just minutes after reaching cruising altitude unless it was an absolute emergency. You would think that a pilot would use the bathroom BEFORE taking off.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
The link in the OP and many more attribute Obama's National Security spokesman with saying no link to terror. The White House speaks for Obama. Even the HuffPo posted a story about the "White House" saying there was no link to terror.

And while we were saying no link to terror, the French were saying it couldn't be excluded.

Were Terrorists Behind Germanwings Flight 9525 Crash? White House Says
The link you posted states this: "Terrorism fears quickly emerged on social media in the wake of the devastating Germanwings Flight 9525 plane crash that rattled Europe Tuesday" then this: ""There is no indication of a nexus to terrorism at this time,” Bernadette Meehan, spokeswoman for the U.S. National Security Council, said in a statement, according to the Associated Press. The White House said U.S. officials were in contact with authorities in France, Germany and Spain regarding the plane crash that presumably left all 150 people dead. Most of the passengers were of German, Spanish and Turkish nationalities."

No mention of the White House saying a word about terrorism.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:30 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
You are still making stuff up. The White House's position is the same as the French - it does not exclude terrorism.

National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said in a statement. “There is no indication of a nexus to terrorism at this time.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies