Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
At a convenience store. I was standing in line waiting my turn when a lady with a small child pushed to the front and asked if she could put a Slushee on her EBT card.

Worse than that, the store said yes.

So you can "my ass" elsewhere, it happens.
Don't tell me...and they all went outside and jumped into their Mercedes-Benz...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 01:09 PM

125 posts, read 128,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
They are not prohibited from buying any of that. They can buy whatever they want with their own money. The restrictions affect what they can use the taxpayers' money to buy.

Food stamps/SNAP benefits were never intended to provide for all of a family's food. It is and always has been intended to supplement what they spend of their own money. For some reason, many people believe that SNAP benefits are intended to pay for everything and that apparently people who get SNAP benefits are actually not allowed to spend their own money on food. SNAP benefits are not intended to free up money in the recipients' budgets for cigarettes and tattoos. They are intended to supplement what the recipients spend of their own money on food items.
WHAT MONEY??? I guess you never applied for food stamps!! Yes there's corruption but for the most part nobody who has much money would bother applying for food stamps unless they really need it. Recently I was at a grocery store and a guy approached me and asked if he purchased something for me on his food stamps would I buy his bag of dog food. I said no I'll just buy your dogs food. He was so grateful and shocked that anyone would help him. Generally I wouldn't just buy someone something as I don't have much but this poor man was more concerned about feeding his dog properly then himself. It just touched me. I saw what he was buying for himself all very cheap food he could only afford to spend $5.00 for dog food out of his food stamp budget. I kind of feel sick when I read these communist propaganda hate mongers spreading such hatred. We spend more on other countries poor, then we do our own poor. Why is that?? Do any of you posters know what the poverty level is??? I do I live on about half that. Is it my fault that I have a serious illness and I'm on disability??? No its not but to then to turn around and be slapped in the face for being poor and getting help is just about as low as it gets. I don't feel poor I I work hard to live the life I have I'm grateful when someone is kind to me. I'm not driving a new car I pay my taxes just like all the self proclaimed dictators I'm reading here.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:10 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Why would you be standing next to someone at a grocery store when they are paying for their food? Are you one of those annoying people who crowds the card-reader? I've had to ask some people like that to please get out of my business and give me space to use my card. What's up with that? Are they like you, just snooping?

I've never seen a SNAP card. What do they look like? Do they have large red letters S N A P on the face of them? If not, how do you know what people are paying with?

Maybe it's a New Jersey thing, but I don't like people invading my space. You must do that all the time in order to observe whether someone is paying with a Visa, Master Card, or Snap card.

"observation, indeed!"

MYOB!
You bring up and interesting point. (there was a time I had a real job) The creation of the EBT card and the software set up in order to utilize it, was done by the government so the government could entice more starving folks to sign up. It was embarrassing for many people to use the, what looked like, monopoly money at the registers. They would rather continue starving, rather than ask for assistance and save the embarrassment.

So the Government came up with the card so it would most resemble that of a credit card, and the presentation at the cash out in the grocery stores, would leave many unaware of what was used to pay at the end of the transaction.

The software that is used, was designed by Transactive Corporation, who also designed the software for the Hunting and Fishing Licenses, for the Department of Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife.

However, there are those in society that they do not trust the Government and their ability to track, trace, store data and invade people's privacy. Those people will continue to starve rather than give their identities to the Government. The credit card presentation, they don't care about that and they will remain anonymous. Hunger will not drive them into the hands of the Government.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:47 PM

185 posts, read 253,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed†foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
Only 67% of the benefit has strings attached- only authorized foods from the list, any beef/pork/chicken/fish, and any produce and white potatoes including fresh/frozen/canned. Recipients are free to purchase whatever they like with the other 33%.

It looks very similar to a normal food budget, at least 2/3's on staples and 1/3 on other stuff. If the benefit is to make sure children have a healthy meal, why wouldn't you want people buying staples with 67% of the benefit?

Restricting any particular food ie; shrimp, crab, lobster or any other shellfish is pandering and should not be tolerated. There is no way anyone is buying only lobster and feeding their family for the month. It's a treat and if you can budget it, good for you.

Wisconsin Legislature: AB177: Bill Text

Old 05-17-2015, 01:48 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The Government is using your money to pay for stuff; you're snooping in the wrong place.
And where does the government get its money, oh from those who have it.................like me.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
you did life the kind of person that I would punch and call the police on for attempting to steal the information on my debit card. And unless you single handedly fund the entire country I seriously doubt that pathetic amount of money the irs takes from you is going anywhere. Make sure you keep us briefed when you can locate where all "your" money goes. Until then keep off of my roads you freeloader!
Come stop me. You can't. I can and will make my own bio diesel and use it on the roads. And nothing you can do about it.

As for freeloaders, I will see what they buy if I am there, kind of hard to miss the chips, pretzels, cookies and beer that EBT card buys when I am behind the ton of lard buying it at the store. The card is identifiable. Used like a credit card. And that's what it is. A card that is charged up with some of my money and then watch lardo get into a new Silverado and head off to the reservation. Again hard to miss.

Pathetic.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:59 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Still waiting for one Con to explain why a person cannot buy the basic foods listed on their listing of prohibited foods. Me thinks not one of you has any defense for it so you talk about someone you supposedly saw buying a slushy with their card, jeez who cares. Just so ya know this Will come back to haunt Walker, if his own fellow Republican candidates do not use it against him (they will) the Dems will, you people are your own worst enemy and are too stupid to actually realize it.
Well, please tell me oh enlighted Democrat, Please tell us the REAL reason they are doing it...We are waiting...

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-17-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 02:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times
I think that the people who feel the need to observe what the people on foodstamps are buying at the grocery store are simply jealous. You do realize that in order to qualify for foodstamps a person has to be low-income? You cannot qualify for foodstamps if your monthly income is above a certain amount. To me, the problem with foodstamps is not the food items that people are buying, but that women are being rewarded for irresponsibly popping out a bunch of babies that they can't afford to have.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And where does the government get its money, oh from those who have it.................like me.
Lol...yeah, right.

I love how people with wage earning jobs brag about having money in a world where one man has 40 or 50 billion dollars.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Well, please tell me oh enlighted Democrat, Please tell us the REAL reason they are doing it...We are waiting...
I have seen this time and again. A checker at a store sees a buddy who has no money but wants beer. The checker rings up the purchase as grocery bypassing the scanner, the purchaser whips out the EBT and off he goes with his 12 pack. See it all the time.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-17-2015 at 05:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies