Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 09:08 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think so too, but this is a message board, not a court of law. Do you think the girls received counseling and the family and Josh just didn't mention it?
Given the lack of details in the reports in regards to how the girls were treated so they could come to terms with what happened to them, I really couldn't speculate about that. But I do think it is entirely possible that they did not believe it necessary to satisfythe curiosity of inquiring minds about every detail, including how the girls were dealt with, in a public report.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Maybe the victims don't want light shone on it.
Do you feel the same way about other crimes?

I know women who've been raped who want their names in the paper and the paper won't publish them. Don't assume abuse victims don't want their names in out there. Some feel putting their names out there will help others, take away stigma and take attention away from the perpetrator.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
And now there is so much "We support Josh" crap going around Facebook... does it ever occur to these people what an FU this is to his victims?
No it doesn't. Because if they admit that Josh is really a pervert who preyed on his own sisters they may have to examine exactly what they've supported all these years...

Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Absolutely. I'll reiterate what I said somewhere upthread: the parents majorly failed all of their children, Josh included, by their inaction. They chose not to get get profession guidance and support. The end result is a media circus surrounding him and his victims, which will follow them forever.
I agree with this. Anyone who acts like this needs serious help. JB and Michelle failed all of their children.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you feel the same way about other crimes?

I know women who've been raped who want their names in the paper and the paper won't publish them. Don't assume abuse victims don't want their names in out there. Some feel putting their names out there will help others, take away stigma and take attention away from the perpetrator.
Yes, I do feel that way about other crimes. But I especially feel that way about sexual crimes and domestic violence crimes, because like it or not, justified or not, some do feel shame from being victims of that type of crime. And I absolutely feel that way about crimes that happen either to children or when someone was a child.

If they feel better about putting their name out there and/or discussing the crime committed against them I support that decision 100%, but whether or not that happens should only be the decision of the victim. My point is the media should not be allowed to re-victimize past victims just to satisfy public curiosity or beef up ratings.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-22-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It would appear that you are doing just that. From the get-go.
Yes I am!

You missed my point though.

Generally speaking, I don't judge others. If you search threads about the Duggars, I largely supported their right to their beliefs, way of life etc even though I don't subscribe to most of their ideas. Why? Because I believe in freedom of choice.

That being said, I find their hypocrisy astounding.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Do you honestly not see the hypocrisy of this post?
Perhaps.

Generally speaking, I don't give a **** how other people live their lives. I do care when people try to campaign against the rights of others by calling them perverts when their own son has molested their daughters. Maybe its just me, though, huh?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
As a teacher of middle school I learned it is much more common than most people think - and vastly underreported. Most of the time when parents become aware of it they do not report it to authorities.

This is from Canada, but does explain a lot of the dynamics involved: http://www.ksacc.ca/docs/sibling_sex...nguageID=EN-US

This is from Australia, but does an excellent job as summing up much of the most recent research: http://www3.aifs.gov.au/acssa/pubs/r...m3/ressum3.pdf

As all these explain, sibling sexual abuse is more common than sexual abuse in a family from an adult.
I've been posting in the TV section. I totally agree, sexual abuse and incest are under-reported. Is it still one of every four girls or 25% and one of every seven boys (which I professionally think is under-reported) are victims of sexual abuse /incest? I can't remember if the numbers have been updated.

I've directed an agency for sexual and physical abuse. Teens and adults were treated in the Perpetrator Tract. Victims- were probably three years old for the youngest. I've treated more than my share of offenders in group and 1:1. I've also treated dozens if not hundreds of victims.

I think there are more victims than what we know. The average juvenile offender has 100 victims before s/he is an adult. I also think it is fair to ask who victimized Josh?

Another "old reference" that explains things quite well is "Out of the Shadows." I'm blitzing on the author. It's about sexual abuse.

MSR

Old 05-22-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Magritte25, they never claimed to have all the answers or claimed they were perfect.
No?

Scroll this thread and use the internet to research just how much advice they've given to others, how they've used their names, faces and fame to push their own agenda and how they positioned themselves as experts on morality and righteousness. The Duggars may not have proclaimed perfection and omniscience but they pandered to those who believed in the propriety and character of the family as they portrayed themselves.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Perhaps.

Generally speaking, I don't give a **** how other people live their lives. I do care when people try to campaign against the rights of others by calling them perverts when their own son has molested their daughters. Maybe its just me, though, huh?
Listen, I think these people could easily be the grand marshalls of a whack-a-doodle parade and believe the best course of action to take when they appear on my TV screen is to turn the channel. I am NOT a fan. However, I suspect in their minds, these people probably honestly believe that their son prayed the pervertedness right out of his soul and all those homosexuals could do the same if they just confessed their sins and prayed too. Just like you, they most likely honestly feel they are justified in their hypocrisy because they, like you, believe the other people are just morally wrong. I totally get why both sides feel the way they do. They are entitled to their opinions, they are entitled to be idiots, and all the rest of us are entitled to roll our collective eyes at them. What nobody is entitled to do is re-victimize people for crimes committed against them as children and what no one should do is celebrate their humiliation. And, make no mistake, those girls are probably feeling a great deal of humiliation right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies