Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That is their only option. If they don't marry then they are subject to the authority of their brothers. There is a ton of information out there on the quiver full movement largely written by women who were able to break away.

Most of them have a lot of sympathy for Josh's wife - who would have a very difficult time leaving him even if she wanted to. She has children; no education; and now his job is gone . . .

They marry so young because that is only way they can get out of the house.

I just . . again . . do not want to see this glorified by a television show.

It's a form of child abuse in my view when young girls are given no option in their lives except submission to men and endless pregnancies. This is why I don't understand how TLC decision makers can look themselves in the mirror. Whether it's Honey Boo Boo or this disgusting Duggar clan they've cashed in for years on showcasing these dysfunctional people trying to present this as something that is charming and normal. Anytime I channel flipped and caught a few moments of the Boo Boo show it was nothing but the family talking about their toilet habits. Mamma June passing gas or peeing in the bushes seemed to be the highlight of the day. How cute...ha..ha... doesn't it just leave you rolling on the floor in laughter. It made me want to puke and so does this Duggar show.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
It's a form of child abuse in my view when young girls are given no option in their lives except submission to men and endless pregnancies. This is why I don't understand how TLC decision makers can look themselves in the mirror. Whether it's Honey Boo Boo or this disgusting Duggar clan they've cashed in for years on showcasing these dysfunctional people trying to present this as something that is charming and normal. Anytime I channel flipped and caught a few moments of the Boo Boo show it was nothing but the family talking about their toilet habits. Mamma June passing gas or peeing in the bushes seemed to be the highlight of the day. How cute...ha..ha... doesn't it just leave you rolling on the floor in laughter. It made me want to puke and so does this Duggar show.
I always thought honey boo boo show was just to laugh at them...not so cute.

Duggars...I let my daughter watch it, she loved all the babies and it seemed harmless enough but I could see scandal coming like a freight train. This is just the tip...

Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
OldHag, I did not read all of your posted links, etc. However, your last paragraph in particular is very refreshing in this thread. Thank you for some reason and common sense.
Obviously, this case has intersected with the political persuasions of many posters (and that includes sexual politics). And that is obviously what is driving their posts (mixed with lots of pure pretense).
Many posters know next to nothing about adolescents, sexual deviancy, criminality, the judicial or social services systems etc. etc......except through what the coolest new website has told them to think. They know almost NOTHING about this, yet they are completely sure that they know almost EVERYTHING about this case.
Sad and comical, all at the same time. But the sheeple will have their say.
What a rude post.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:58 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What a rude post.
Well this poster can be as pretentious as they want to. Teens who molest a 4 year olds need serious intervention and counseling. I doubt blaming the victims or telling the teen to have a closer relationship with God is counseling.

As for The Duggars, they placed themselves, and their family in the public eye. I feel for the victims, but it is interesting to know their political connections and how these political connections view this crime as a, "...mistake...". It's typical of the conservative types to view deviant sexual behavior as boys will be boys and sweep it under the rug. Hopefully this revelation will instruct people this is not "...boys will be boys...".

....AND don't give me the "...deviance is viewed as a set of behaviors expected, and when those behaviors don't meet the expectations it is viewed as deviant..." We have laws in our society and culture for a reason. We are not ancient Greek society where it was okay for adult men to keep a boy. WE don't want men keeping concubines and young girls...it's viewed as wrong in our society for a reason.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish437 View Post
"...the older brother is asked questions such as "What teaching could have been given to each child to resist evil?" and "What factors in the home contributed to immodesty and temptation?""

WHAT?? They're saying the kid molested was at fault. Terrible.
I guess the victims shouldn't have been sleeping, and the youngest shouldn't have sat on his lap to be read to.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:10 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I agree, Luzette. TLC has a record of five or six shows, maybe more, they have had to cancel. When they look for extremes they have found some. I'll say it's good to see a Quiverfull family to understand much more, but one or possibly two specials would have been enough. TLC didn't identify them as Quiverfull.... I wonder why ( not!).. But I don't need to see this family on tv, in the breaking news on my Browser or magazines etc. any longer.

TLC needs new executives if the current ones can't figure out better programming. We as the public need to make our voices heard to those who have allowed them to live as they do.

There are millions of good parents who do the best they can and don't sell another book or exclusive photos of their kids and grandkids to have enough money to support their families. Most parents and grandparents work more hours or overtime or a second job to support their families.

The Detroit Free Press called them, "Pious."

I think it is important for parents to teach their children the value of hard work and service to others. However, parents have the kids it is their job to raise them, not the older kids.

It's time for us to let sponsors, TLC, People Magazine, NBC ' S Today Show and their book publisher etc. we've had enough. I hope others will join me contacting the sources of their major financial support.

MSR

What now for TLC show after Josh Duggar allegations?

For the record. .a USAToday columnist used the word pious in an article that was published. ...NOT THE DETROIT FREE PRESS...that newspaper would never say that about this bunch...

Old 05-25-2015, 11:15 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
[quote=linda814;39752430]What now for TLC show after Josh Duggar allegations?

For the record. .a USAToday columnist used the word pious in an article that was published. ...NOT THE DETROIT FREE PRESS...that newspaper would never say that about this bunch..

And the word PIOUS is used sarcastically if you read the article the USA TODAY wrote...

Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM

163 posts, read 125,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
Flashed onto the news for a second. Something about chemical weapons. Can't make a new topic.
They also said it could be a hoax. I think they mentioned an Air France flight and Kennedy and Laguardia airports in New York.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
What now for TLC show after Josh Duggar allegations?

For the record. .a USAToday columnist used the word pious in an article that was published. ...NOT THE DETROIT FREE PRESS...that newspaper would never say that about this bunch...
Even TLC is not that stupid - I hope.

The more I read about the quiver full movement - which is what the Duggars are all about - though why they don't say so on their show . . makes me wonder.

It's so easy to see how women could be easily molested with the father being the unquestioning head of the house - controlling all aspects of the women's lives (including the wife); no contact with the outside world (christian homeschooling); the encouragement of all women to 'submit'; the focus on the woman's dress (covering herself) to help the MEN remain pure. Hell, they might as well wear a burka. These women have no autonomy at all.

There are numerous allegations of abuse by ex-members of this cult and it's easy to see how it could and does flourish in this atmosphere.

IF TLC is dumb enough to bring it back - let's call it what it is. It's not just a 'larger than life' Christian family. It's a cult that is dangerous to women.

I want it off the air.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
Haha even "mama june" is trying to get a million bucks from all this now.

I heard TLC is considering keeping the show without Josh on it? Not sure if anyone else read this, cannot remember the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies