Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

It has been pointed out that experiencing other nations and other cultures is beneficial and personally rewarding.
Not all I have experienced in other lands makes me appreciate the conditions at home. Several things (healthcare, education, public transportation, religion) provoke me to think, if they can do it, why can't we? What's stopping America from having similar conditions?
I have yet to visit a third world nation, mostly I've been to the lands in western Europe which are very highly developed. In comparison to them I think that America (voluntarily) lags behind.
The European nations have freedoms just as we do. But they have less ownership of guns, which for many Americans, is freedom per se.
Compared to the third world I wouldn't doubt that America comes out on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It has been pointed out that experiencing other nations and other cultures is beneficial and personally rewarding.
Not all I have experienced in other lands makes me appreciate the conditions at home. Several things (healthcare, education, public transportation, religion) provoke me to think, if they can do it, why can't we? What's stopping America from having similar conditions?
I have yet to visit a third world nation, mostly I've been to the lands in western Europe which are very highly developed. In comparison to them I think that America (voluntarily) lags behind.
The European nations have freedoms just as we do. But they have less ownership of guns, which for many Americans, is freedom per se.
Compared to the third world I wouldn't doubt that America comes out on top.
America lags behind

I went to Russia a few years ago and did the Roots thing. Ends up I have a 3rd cousin that lives outside of Omsk Siberia ( A major technical center) They don't have running water and still use the outhouse (pretty standard) She has to travel about a hour to stand in line for half a day to see a Doctor. While we were there my driver and I got pulled over at an Army/KGB check by a kid with a Krinkov smg and had to pay a "Fine". She recently sent me a letter begging for money to help buy a flat in the city. All that in a Superpower country Let me tell you the US beats them all......................

Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
America lags behind

I went to Russia a few years ago and did the Roots thing. Ends up I have a 3rd cousin that lives outside of Omsk Siberia ( A major technical center) They don't have running water and still use the outhouse (pretty standard) She has to travel about a hour to stand in line for half a day to see a Doctor. While we were there my driver and I got pulled over at an Army/KGB check by a kid with a Krinkov smg and had to pay a "Fine". She recently sent me a letter begging for money to help buy a flat in the city. All that in a Superpower country Let me tell you the US beats them all......................
I don't think Siberia is regarded as western Europe. Who is "them"?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Japan also has excellent healthcare and it's free to Japanese citizens. You can get to a doctor in no time.

Thailand is extremely reasonable. They've got some of the excellent surgeons; they're number 1 in sex reassignment surgery in the world. That's not simple work.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Thailand is extremely reasonable. They've got some of the excellent surgeons; they're number 1 in sex reassignment surgery in the world. That's not simple work.
Is there a whole lotta call for this?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Yes, actually, there is.

People from all over the world visit Thailand for surgery needs. Prices are reasonable (even for out of pocket) and conditions are pristine.

From this expertise, they've also become one of the biggest suppliers of all cosmetic surgery.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Yes, actually, there is.
Really? For sex change operations? Fascinating.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Japan also has excellent healthcare and it's free to Japanese citizens. You can get to a doctor in no time.

I can vouch for the Japanese healthcare system. Even for foreigners, the costs are relatively low compared to the US.

I feel sorry for those little Jpaanese nurses tugging and hauling us big old gaijin around, though. I swear that one time in Osaka, when I had walking pneumonia and went to a hospital, the nurses drew lots to see who would get stuck with taking care of me...

Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I don't think Siberia is regarded as western Europe. Who is "them"?
No but I rode the train to get there, Crapper dumped right on to the tracks all the way from Moscow to Omsk. The USA has got it going on over the whole world no matter what our little problems are........

Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I did it. I lived in the US from age 2-53 and Denmark from 1-2 and 53-64+. I am still alive. I left the US because I needed a change of pace and I wanted to see how things really were back in Denmark. I didn't think i would last this long, but i travel to the US 2-3 times a year for long trips and this makes it bearable. In the US, I can avoid danish weather and danish food, but not danish taxes. In Denmark, i can avoid the things i dislike about America and US taxes (since Danish taxes are much higher).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies