Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times

Advertisements

If white man murders, he will pay the price. If black man murders, the media points at whitey, blacks march, loot and burn down buildings.

Should we call that black privilege?

Last edited by petch751; 06-21-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
With minorities, who too many whites whine about when people from minority groups do better than them. Nothing is stopping you. Work harder.

It's not their fault that they are making straight As and/or can write a better essay than you. It's not their fault that they are more professional than you. Do better.
What are talking about, that Asians are doing better academically and better in STEM fields than white people are? Where do you see white people complaining about that? If anyone is complaining about it it's black people, with Jesse Jackson demanding that Silicon Valley companies hire more black people. I don't see anyone demanding that those companies hire more white people.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Thank you for reinforcing my point. So your belief is that blacka are quick to rally behind someone who is clearly wrong in their actions, but whites are more quick to detach themselves from someone of their own ethnic background who executes an heinous act.

This is actually very powerful and reinforces my point. Blacks are just as responsible for white privilege as whites are. Maybe even moreso. Because blacks do not judge themselves individually, or separate themselves individually. And you will notice that this pathology permeates among almost all ethnic groups in America. As you will find that Latinos defend latinos, blacks defend blacks, but whites never defend whites? Now, why is this? Perhaps minorities are not socialized to see themselves individually, and feel they must defend someone of their own ethnic background because they prescribe to collectivist mentality?

I think this is very deep characteristic of human reasoning. That is not commonly addressed or examined. That is what I hope to discuss in this thread. Are minority groups socialized to not think individually,and thus they are less likely to judge themselves individually? And conversely are whites socialized to think more individually?
Yea, maybe it's the liberal media that portrays blacks this way. I turned MSNBC on the other day... geez, are they trying to start a race war? Personally I think there is a small group who think blacks should get a pass and the media puts it on for show.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I do not believe the average white person who denies there is white privilege really wants to protect their privilege. I'm just sure whites are not aware of privilege because it is a very subtle and subconcious thing. Again it is the human mind.

I'll give you a great example. I remember a few years ago. I am a software engineer. I remember I had to peer review one of my co-worker's code. And I told them about things that are wrong. They had a lot of bad things in their code, even copying pasting untested code, no unit test, uncaught exceptions, etc. These are technical terms, but anybody who is a compotent software engineer would know this. My co-worker got indignant and said his code was right. So I left it alone, since they did not like my review. Now my white co-worker said the same exact thing about their code. And guess what? This co-worker actually listened and cleaned up his code.

So there is an assumption that if any intellectual guidance comes from a black man, it's just wrong. He thought I was just nitpicking and being hard on him. But my white co-worker said the same exact thing, and guess what he listened right way. This co-worker code i reviewed was Indian. But he automatically just assumed that the white guy knew what he was talking about.

Again this is white privilege. People just take you more seriously in a business and intellectual setting if you're white.
I am a white business women in a mostly male profession.

When I went though my apprenticeship I was told daily a female could not to this work.

And if I could..........no one would hire me. (that was true)

I heard very boob joke out there..........I was laughed at daily.

But, guess what.........I made it and started my own business.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:35 AM

258 posts, read 157,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
With minorities, who too many whites whine about when people from minority groups do better than them. Nothing is stopping you. Work harder.

It's not their fault that they are making straight As and/or can write a better essay than you. It's not their fault that they are more professional than you. Do better. I've seen whites upset when a minority child is more advanced in musical arts. Seriously? It's no one else's fault that the white children involved are less advanced. Practice more.
lol. Yeah, that whining is a huge problem. They should probably step it up by burning down a CVS or two.

It's interesting to work in environments that are as close to pure meritocracies as you get. Large corporation R&D departments essentially don't care about your looks, just whether you can produce over time. They can also be shockingly specialized in terms of ethnicity and gender. There's probably a lesson in that somewhere.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

When I went though my apprenticeship I was told daily a female could not to this work.

Yes, I know what you mean. I was treated like a dumb blonde when people first met me. I would ignore it, when I would start talking business, you could see the change in attitude toward me happening quickly.

Sadly I think there are woman who are still treated badly by their other halves. I think the key to respect is education and not being dependent. The left uses woman, telling them there was a war on women. They are playing on dependent women. So OP, it's tough for everyone, it's what you do to allow yourself to be treated.

Dependency on others always give the others more power over you.

Last edited by petch751; 06-21-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:36 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea, maybe it's the liberal media that portrays blacks this way. I turned MSNBC on the other day... geez, are they trying to start a race war? Personally I think there is a small group who think blacks should get a pass and the media puts it on for show.
I have my opinions about the media and it's eagerness to racialize everything. But that's for another thread. However, let's see if we can come to terms with our nature, and our reasoning. I do believe that stereotypes are a glitch in human logic. And that humans actually can never truly judge all human individually. But with limited conditions they can.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, I know what you mean. I was treated like a dumb blonde when people first met me. I would ignore it, when I would start talking business, you could see the change in attitude toward me happening quickly.
When I would get upset and get mad........I was told it was that
"redhead temper".

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

I'm just giving an example. I did not say this hindered me. Only that it happened. Clearly this has not held me back. I am a professional software engineer till this day, and no amount of white privilege will ever be able to stop that. I love my profession, and my passion for mathematical logic, computers, and technology is more powerful than any sort of white supremacy or white privilege.

But I am not whining. You're just projecting your opinion of black people into this thread. This is not a rational position to take.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM

Black males had the right to vote before any female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies