Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The mentality of racism is:

Your race sickens me and in my mind, I am superior to you.
No matter what you say or do, I will NEVER like you.
Now, although when you think “Racism”, you automatically think
White vs. [Insert Race Here]

That is racism.

No need to get defensive, we are having a good conversation here.
There's no love between Hispanics and Blacks yet you don't hear the same cries of "racism".
Like only Whites can be "racist".

Old 06-24-2015, 08:19 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's no love between Hispanics and Blacks yet you don't hear the same cries of "racism".
Like only Whites can be "racist".
Correct. (although I believe some Hispanics and some blacks get along just fine. )

Old 06-24-2015, 08:30 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Correct. (although I believe some Hispanics and some blacks get along just fine. )
They get along fine until there is a shortage or lack of some necessity (jobs, housing) or one side perceives some imaginary disrespect to their group. I see that at work all of the time. There is some stressor, then bam, the workers split along racial lines.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,547 times
Conservatives just wont let go of the Confederate flag, will they? Who has killed more Americans so far? The Confederate Army or ISIS?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 AM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Conservatives just wont let go of the Confederate flag, will they? Who has killed more Americans so far? The Confederate Army or ISIS?
Not a conservative but:
Lincoln and his federal troops. The south tried to secede peacefully.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
They get along fine until there is a shortage or lack of some necessity (jobs, housing) or one side perceives some imaginary disrespect to their group. I see that at work all of the time. There is some stressor, then bam, the workers split along racial lines.
Interesting..

To me, I think How do you deal with someone who is very quick to label someone as "racist", when they aren't being racist at all? is a good topic.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Interesting..

To me, I think How do you deal with someone who is very quick to label someone as "racist", when they aren't being racist at all? is a good topic.
You can't. They base their claim of racism on skin color. If it's different then theirs then it's racism.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:40 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
But..but...but----that's deeferent. Blame Bush.
Well, first of all it was 23 years ago, compared to many conservative politicians SUPPORTING the Confederate flag until last week. Nothing like the threat of political loss to make the neo-cons flip flop on their values.

Secondly, do we even know that the Clinton's had anything to do with these? The Clinton-Gore one looks like they likely did, but the Hillary one looks like she just had support from another group.

My question is this:

For the people that STILL say the confederate flag should fly, who is more anti-American? Someone flying the confederate flag, or someone going to their mosque and praying to Allah? Seems to me, the first is flying the flag of a defeated enemy of the US, basically saying they still hate the USA and want to overthrow it. The latter is simply exercising their religious freedom. Yet we have more conservatives (again, up until last week) calling for bans on Islam than we have them calling out these US Traitors. Some of them even try to pose as patriots and traitors at the same time. Funny!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:49 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kQX12S9YI Sooo....is the song the next thing to be "banned"?
I hope not. Anyway, the confederate flag is not the problem. Dylann Roof has mental issues, and unfortunately for that there is no easy fix, if at all. If he had grown up around NYC, he could just have easily developed a fixation against Jews and been flying a Nazi flag. Our country has a growing problem with how to deal with mentally ill people.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are a racist then you are prejudiced against all other races, not just Blacks.
So you're saying if you only hate blacks but love all other races, then you are just "prejudice" and not a racist?

Merriam-Webster defines prejudice this way and no where in there does it make the distinctions you do:

"Prejudice: an unfair feeling of dislike for a person or group because of race, sex, religion, etc.
: a feeling of like or dislike for someone or something especially when it is not reasonable or logical"

Of interest is how they define racism:
": poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race
: the belief that some races of people are better than others"

To me that sounds like acting on your prejudices against people based on race is what racism is and if that is an acceptable statement then it's still ambiguous in society as to how we each perceive "acting out." Some of might say a racist joke or flying a confederate flag is "acting out on prejudices" while others think "acting out on prejudices" only includes physical harm, not mental harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies