Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,438 times

Advertisements

As a progressive liberal, I have plenty of friends who are conservative. I don't let politics get in the way of friendships. To my fellow liberals: Don't be shallow and not ever associate with a whole group of people like the OP. It's obnoxious, creates ignorance, and is small minded. As we always have strived for, be open to being friends with people opposite of your views. Support them, show them that you are friendly, and that we are good people. Maybe that will open them up. We are better than that for those that won't associate with conservatives. Show them that you can take differing opinions and still be friendly, not blinded by hatred.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

Do you find associating yourself with liberals upsetting?
That's ok, I try not to be around conservatives who think the country should be a theocracy, women should have no control over their bodies, the poor should be abandoned in the street, and invading other countries is a good foreign policy plan.

To each their own.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
That's ok, I try not to be around conservatives who think the country should be a theocracy, women should have no control over their bodies, the poor should be abandoned in the street, and invading other countries is a good foreign policy plan.

To each their own.
That without the slightest doubt certainly sounds like the plan for most conservatives in Oklahoma. They are very anti gay as well. Well, some of the more compassionate ones think the poor should beg friends, relatives and churches for help, rather than turn to government. However, for the ones that are so low life they get turned away, then they should be abandoned to the streets and holes in the ground to live.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-28-2015 at 10:53 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 11:02 PM

8 posts, read 4,186 times
Lol. It almost sound like trolling when I read the first post. But yeah, I'm neither liberal or conservative. Pretty moderate if I say so myself. But I hate Fox News and Bill O`Reilly though. I'm pretty sure they are right-wing. He sounds like a psycho.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:02 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Being older, I've seen liberals change over the years. They used to be the relaxed, easy-going ones who prided themselves on being open minded and, when confronted by a conservative, would try to make their case in a rational and civil way. It was the conservatives then who were more likely to shut down a conversation, storm out of the room, shake their fists, etc.

Now it's the exact opposite. I remember a bar conversation where I was asked what I did and truthfully said that I was in the oil business. My interlocutors actually said they wanted to punch me in the face. It didn't matter that my company was involved in the relatively clean energy sources of geothermal steam and natural gas (which, in the vernacular, are considered part of the oil industry.) They were shaking with rage and didn't want to discuss anything at all. Another time in another bar, I questioned a liberal's argument and he flew into a rage and stormed off the patio. He was a big dude, and while I knew he wouldn't go so far as to get physical, he was walking a very fine line.

Last, I had a young friend who got married. He and his wife came over to my house and his wife -- who I had just met -- expressed shock that I had a book by Ann Coulter on my shelf. I said "I read everything" and pointed out other books on my shelf including books by members of the quasi-Marxist Frankfurt School. But that wasn't enough. I was clearly beyond the pale as far as she and her husband were concerned. She had a masters degree and her husband had a Ph.D.

For some liberals, just having a certain book makes you the enemy. How could you?!?

In the sixties it was liberals who fought for freedom of expression, for ending censorship, and for "live and let live." That started to end around 1968. The saying, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" effectively drew a line of division that could no longer be crossed. I had already decided that I liked being a contrarian, someone who would challenge liberals if they were the majority around me, and conservatives if they were the majority. It just so happened that I was increasingly surrounded by liberals as California became more and more liberal.

I still challenge people -- even in bars -- but I've learned to scope them out first and develop a sixth sense for how far I can go. And my challenges are in the form of jokes, which people seem to find pretty funny.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:45 AM

884 posts, read 716,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

To each their own.

Control over their bodies?? Oh wise moonbeam I dare you to watch just one abortion video on the way abortions for those women who like to kill is being done Just days before the child is to be delivered. Pruning shears anyone? You wouldn't last one minute. Would you like me to describe how one is done these days to give you a visual? Can I send you a link to one? Besides rape incest etc, if a women must kill a child then she should keep her dam legs closed.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:52 AM

I just love how people can sugar coat things. Their subconscious knows its wrong so they make up some bull sheet illogical little homemade homily ie: control over their bodies. Why don't you call it what it is Moonbeam? Don't call it "control over their bodies" What is it Moonbeam? You can say it cant you.

I am sorry but when a person or group of persons has to create some nonsense to cover up what is really going on, oh, if only people could be exposed to their subconscious. It would drive them mad the guilt and shame.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
As a progressive liberal, I have plenty of friends who are conservative. I don't let politics get in the way of friendships. To my fellow liberals: Don't be shallow and not ever associate with a whole group of people like the OP. It's obnoxious, creates ignorance, and is small minded. As we always have strived for, be open to being friends with people opposite of your views. Support them, show them that you are friendly, and that we are good people. Maybe that will open them up. We are better than that for those that won't associate with conservatives. Show them that you can take differing opinions and still be friendly, not blinded by hatred.
If only that were true. We are programmed now to take sides. Does nature or nurture lend more to the outcome of ones views. Perhaps I am just getting older but it seems we are dividing further and further.
One quick note, how can a liberal say the reps don't want change, yet do they ever look at the poverty stricken? Same thing same results every 4 years. Are they any better off. Hell no they aren't. But Mr. democrat comes in around Christmas gives em a free turkey and then shows up again around election time. Promising a better life if you vote for them. Oh, this is that politicians 4th term as well. Fools...

Old 07-29-2015, 04:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

It's the self-congratulations that I find off-putting. South Park did an episode on it: Smug Alert.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:

Your screen name appears to be a misnomer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies