Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Just six companies account for half of the entire NASDAQ's gains so far in 2015. Amazon, Google, Apple, Facebook, Netflix and Gilead Sciences. There are over 3000 companies listed in that index, which signals that these tech giants are propping up the whole market. As more and more people chase these giants, they become more and more inflated.

S&P 500 is up just 1% this year. This bubble is about to burst, as many companies are overvalued.
A lot of people just want a part of the "prestige pie" and ignore underlying fundamentals.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

Do you find associating yourself with liberals upsetting?
I try not to spend any more time around liberals than I absolutely have to!

I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual, but to each his own...

That said, people need to formulate their own opinions and stop letting the media program their minds into being partisan.. Think for yourself...

Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

Do you find associating yourself with liberals upsetting?
Hmmmm. In my personal life, I also try to surround myself with positive people who believe America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with extreme conservatives who are filled with hate for minorities, immigrants and poor people.

I don't like to be around people who continue to talk about FEMA camps and the government taking guns away and when it's clear that is not happening. It's frustrating to be around people who defend their "beliefs" in the face of science and facts to the contrary. To be sure, I don't mind talking about conflicts or inconsistencies in science, but to dismiss it altogether because someone "thinks" something else is true is not a conversation I'm interested in having.

I don't like to discuss politics with people who are ignorant about history or the Constitution and who only parrot things they hear on conservative TV or talk radio. Approach your discussion from an educated, scholarly viewpoint and I'll listen all day long, even if we disagree.

I realize that there are hot-button issues that people are passionate about--abortion, immigration, civil rights--and I'm willing to listen to them as long as they're willing to listen to me. I don't want to be around people who refuse to consider the other side of an argument because they believe that the very consideration of the point of view is showing weakness or that they're "losing."

The same is true of a person's view of a politician. If all someone can do is spew hate about Obama, without recognizing that he is a good person, or that he has done some good things as well as things they disagree with, I'm not going to spend any time talking to them. I was indifferent about George Bush until he invaded Iraq, which I thought was probably the worst decision a U.S. president has ever made. Still, I didn't pile on Bush over the Katrina aftermath because I didn't think what happened was his fault, or even his administration's fault.

So, although I'm very liberal, I don't necessarily find associating with conservatives upsetting. I do find associating with ignorant, small-minded people upsetting, regardless of their political affiliation.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Hmmmm. In my personal life, I also try to surround myself with positive people who believe America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with extreme conservatives who are filled with hate for minorities, immigrants and poor people.

I don't like to be around people who continue to talk about FEMA camps and the government taking guns away and when it's clear that is not happening. It's frustrating to be around people who defend their "beliefs" in the face of science and facts to the contrary. To be sure, I don't mind talking about conflicts or inconsistencies in science, but to dismiss it altogether because someone "thinks" something else is true is not a conversation I'm interested in having.

I don't like to discuss politics with people who are ignorant about history or the Constitution and who only parrot things they hear on conservative TV or talk radio. Approach your discussion from an educated, scholarly viewpoint and I'll listen all day long, even if we disagree.

I realize that there are hot-button issues that people are passionate about--abortion, immigration, civil rights--and I'm willing to listen to them as long as they're willing to listen to me. I don't want to be around people who refuse to consider the other side of an argument because they believe that the very consideration of the point of view is showing weakness or that they're "losing."

The same is true of a person's view of a politician. If all someone can do is spew hate about Obama, without recognizing that he is a good person, or that he has done some good things as well as things they disagree with, I'm not going to spend any time talking to them. I was indifferent about George Bush until he invaded Iraq, which I thought was probably the worst decision a U.S. president has ever made. Still, I didn't pile on Bush over the Katrina aftermath because I didn't think what happened was his fault, or even his administration's fault.

So, although I'm very liberal, I don't necessarily find associating with conservatives upsetting. I do find associating with ignorant, small-minded people upsetting, regardless of their political affiliation.

I do not understand the 'rep' system, for it keeps telling me I have to 'spread it around', although I rarely leave reps.

So, this must substitute for the official rep.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:16 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
But do you surround yourself with many minorities, immigrants, or poor people?
And what proof do you have that anyone hates such people?
But anyway, this was a good one. "I'm willing to hear a person's argument, as long as they don't say anything conservative, or anything that I disagree with, or won't admit that Obama is a good person who has done good things for the country. Then I won't even listen to what they have to say." It proves the original point.

Last edited by fat lou; 07-29-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The Leftists in U.S. supports Islamic terrorism.

Being an immigrant to US from Pakistan where I have seen first hand the evils of Islam, the support of the Leftists for this death cult is reason enough for me to not support them!
First of all, how does the left support Islamic terrorism? I think most people on this thread would agree Obama is about as liberal as it gets, and he's been pretty fervent going after Islamic targets. Secondly, as an immigrant (legal or not), you're not getting into any clubs associated with the far right, you may serve them, but you'll never be a member.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
But do you surround yourself with many minorities, immigrants, or poor people?
And what proof do you have that anyone hates such people?
But anyway, this was a good one. "I'm willing to hear a person's argument, as long as they don't say anything conservative, or anything that I disagree with, or won't admit that Obama is a good person who has done good things for the country. Then I won't even listen to what they have to say." It proves the original point.
To answer your first question--yes. I've lived most of my life 3 hours from the Mexican border in a predominantly Hispanic community with a high poverty rate. I've gone to school with, worked with, been friends with and hired minorities, immigrants and poor people.

Since your fake quote is on the same page as my real quote, people are free to read both and come to their own conclusions about what I said.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people...
I also surround myself with positive people, but I haven't found that conservatives have a monopoly on them.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:18 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Ever look to see why the stock market bubble is huge? Obama is funding the banks buying bad debt and the banks are putting that money into the stock market.. the market is funding the businesses, and are the really making money? I don't think so... the companies are loaded with cash now. Investors don't get any interest from banks so they buy stock and the 401K's are funding the stock market as well. That bubble will burst and many will lose large amounts of value in their stocks.

Many people have dropped out of the work force and are not counted as unemployed. Much of our dollars are being sent over to China, the middle east and Mexico . It is not circulating here. We are a service society and will implode as time goes on. Our tax base is small and our giveaways are huge and growing as more anchor babies are born here , thank Obama. All for a vote he bankrupts America and the people.

We the people have lost , and the middle class will be demoted to poor as time goes on. Greece will look like a picnic compared to the depression we will experience in the future. Obama did nothing to strengthen our economy. The private sector did all the work and most is smoke and mirrors . Obama has wasted money on green energy and has created debt that cannot be paid..putting out commercials for food stamps... etc.. etc.. the next generations will suffer greatly as taxes and inflation destroy the middle class.

Someone has to pay for all the freebees including illegals who have anchor babies to rape our welfare system and the middle class is the ones who will pay. America's credit card is defunct when China refused to lend any more money to our government and then the day of reckoning will be hell for the American people.
Ironically, the OP was whining about liberals being Debbie Downers. Either you are a liberal, or you have disproved the OP claim. Not exactly an upbeat post.

Be that as it it may, regarding your claims, these are just stereotyped claims without any facts or sources. The claims would be much more credible if they were backed up, rather than simply opinion, but the common thread with most conservative complaints about liberals on this forum is that they are rarely supported with facts.

You blame the stock market on a bubble (sources please?), of course, so that you can then blame Obama. You also apparently blame corporate wealth on Obama, even though Congress produces the legislation and policies that makes them wealthy, much of it through corporate welfare.

Warren Buffett's (a liberal) opinion is that the market is not a bubble and his opinion probably carries more weight than those who do not have his stock market experience or wealth created by the stock market. His opinion about the market and economy is also optimistic, as opposed to the Debbie Downer conservatives on the forum.

The China loans would not be such an issue if our government had not borrowed the funds for the unnecessary Iraq War. If only we could turn back time and not have had an admin that proceeded to initiate a war we could not afford in order to obtain a sovereign country's oil, we would not have had to borrow all those trillions from China (just another liberal complaint).

The middle class has been steadily disappearing since the Reagan administration--it cannot be blamed on liberals--there are many many complex factors involved in that trend. Yes, the tax base is small, and yet every time an increase is proposed, conservatives immediately move to prevent it. We should also take a look at why some states are more dependent on the federal government than others.

Does the country have problems? Yes. Are things as bad as Debbie Downer conservatives claim? No. Greece? Seriously? We are nowhere near Greece.

I believe the biggest threat to the country is the lack of weight and investment given to education, and subsequent dumbing down of the population, which is producing an overabundance of ignorance and self-styled internet 'experts, as well as a denial of hard cold facts (as in scientific facts).

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

Think by Numbers » Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs

Warren Buffett: Stocks not a bubble but there are few bargains - Apr. 2, 2015

Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
I think the biggest problem with ignoring other views is that I've found it festers a lot of misinformation and false perceptions. People isolate in a media echo chamber that tells them what they want to hear and no one challenges it.

I like this site because, while people get cranky, they're exposed to different perspectives and either quietly adjust their view (never admitting it publically, of course) or have to dig deeper to reinforce their view with more credible evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies