Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:37 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The only thing that is sad is trying to justify leaving an 11 year old at home with a younger sibling but also with a gun. I once has had a gun as an 11 year old is really no defense.
Just MAYBE I have been around too long to watch children having guns in their homes left to their own kid/juvenile thinkings of what fun it would be to play act something..or toddler find loaded gun unlocked in their mommy's purse while shopping and curiosity killed the (mommy) cat ends in disaster..

Some of those kids got charged with murder as an adult too..so ended up in prison for the rest of their lives..and nothing happened to those negligent parents leaving loaded weapons available to those children...

I wouldn't call them Gun Nuts..I would call those adults/parents, who the right and freedom to own guns are just plain NEGLIGENT and should be held responsible if a minor within their home ever gets access to such lethal weapons including whatever charge that child would be charged with... IF not for the access..NO killing would have happened!! ..PERIOD!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 05:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The only thing that is sad is trying to justify leaving an 11 year old at home with a younger sibling but also with a gun. I once has had a gun as an 11 year old is really no defense.
at 11 years of age, a child is generally able to put together responsible thoughts and deeds, even though the law says otherwise. if a child is properly taught how to handle a firearm, and taught proprer gun safety, and uses the firearm to defend his family, then lets stop with the bullcrap of running down the parents, and how bad things are when an 11 year old uses a gun to save his family, and lets concentrate on the criminals and their actions instead.

its just like gun grabbers to go after someone who properly uses a firearm rather than the criminal that forced the use of that firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I am a bit skeptical of this story until further facts come out. An 11 year old shoots a home invader in the head? That is pretty far fetched. Even an adult would be rattled if being robbed. A head shot isn't easy in the best circumstances on a range.
we all respond to situations based on our training, and our abilities. perhaps this 11 year old will one day be a police officer, or perhaps be a fine example of a soldier. we dont know what his parents taught him.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:45 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
I am a bit skeptical of this story until further facts come out. An 11 year old shoots a home invader in the head? That is pretty far fetched. Even an adult would be rattled if being robbed. A head shot isn't easy in the best circumstances on a range.
I read where he shot him on his porch, there is more than meets the eye we will see when all the facts come out. One thing for sure an 11 year old should not have access to a gun with his parents out of the house for self defense. Way too many irresponsible gun owners.

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-04-2015 at 05:58 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 05:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Just MAYBE I have been around too long to watch children having guns in their homes left to their own kid/juvenile thinkings of what fun it would be to play act something..or toddler find loaded gun unlocked in their mommy's purse while shopping and curiosity killed the (mommy) cat ends in disaster..

Some of those kids got charged with murder as an adult too..so ended up in prison for the rest of their lives..and nothing happened to those negligent parents leaving loaded weapons available to those children...

I wouldn't call them Gun Nuts..I would call those adults/parents, who the right and freedom to own guns are just plain NEGLIGENT and should be held responsible if a minor within their home ever gets access to such lethal weapons including whatever charge that child would be charged with... IF not for the access..NO killing would have happened!! ..PERIOD!!
really? you dont think that perhaps the home invaders, criminals actually, would not have killed the children? this kid WAS DEFENDING HIS FAMILY AND HIS HOME AGAINST CRIMINALS.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
at 11 years of age, a child is generally able to put together responsible thoughts and deeds, even though the law says otherwise. if a child is properly taught how to handle a firearm, and taught proprer gun safety, and uses the firearm to defend his family, then lets stop with the bullcrap of running down the parents, and how bad things are when an 11 year old uses a gun to save his family, and lets concentrate on the criminals and their actions instead.
Leaving an 11 year old home alone in St Louis or anywhere else to defend himself is absolutely insane.

I will await all the facts in the self defense theory but either way this is beyond belief.

Quote:
At least one neighbor, however, offered a different account of the shooting,
telling CNN affiliate KMOV that the boys were arguing on the front porch before the younger child pulled out a gun and shot the teenager.
11-year-old St. Louis boy kills teen - CNN.com

Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I started babysitting for neighbors at 11 years old, goodnight. I was in 7th grade. I don't think it is too young to be alone for short periods of time during the day.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:58 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
It appears that the kid lied to the police about the home invaders according to witnesses who said the kids were arguing on porch after they had been sitting on the porch for some time. This appears to be more like murder if the witnesses accounts are true.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I started babysitting for neighbors at 11 years old, goodnight. I was in 7th grade. I don't think it is too young to be alone for short periods of time during the day. And supposedly this home invasion took place during the day.
Teenagers, pre-teens are careless, everyone is different and there might be an 11 year old who's capable but I just see this as being irresponsible particularly with a 4 year old at home. I can just picture the gun on a table while the child get's distracted playing a video game.

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-04-2015 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 06:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
It appears that the kid lied to the police about the home invaders according to witnesses who said the kids were arguing on porch after they had been sitting on the porch for some time. This appears to be more like murder if the witnesses accounts are true.
2 very different stories and then there's the truth.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:58 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
In Missouri, there is no age limit for leaving a child at home alone.
At age 8, I was rabbit hunting by myself. I shot them and cleaned them. I always had access to my 22. Kids here aren't sissy like they are in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies