Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 04:09 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,332,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They are difficult to acquire in both countries and there are more restrictions
I posted the link earlier showing where you can order guns on the internet in Australia.

Quote:
Dylan Roof got a gun as do thousands every year when they could not comply with the 3 day limit, what's the rush, some countries have 29 days or longer.
It's redundant. Your co-worker is going to sell you his gun as soon as you hand him the money.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,617,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Jesus H Christ it's the same tired arguments! Those jets, and tanks are doing a wonderful job in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, and they did such a bang up job in Vietnam too! We have the most powerful military in the world, and still couldn't win in Vietnam, and our troops still can't get a lid on things in Iraq and Afghanistan! Ask the Russians how well the Soviets and their Red Army worked against Afghanistan? 10 years of trying to occupy that nation, in what ended in a complete failure. Let's look at the American Revolution. The colonists fought against superior forces, and weaponry, and yet were still able to defeat the British. You also assume that those in the military would go along with any legislation amounting to a mass gun grab. Sure some would follow along like sheep, but quite a bit would tell the feds to stick it and side with the American citizens as they took an oath to protect us from enemies foreign and domestic. And let's face it a government that would side step the Constitution in such a power grab would indeed become rogue and an enemy to the people, because it goes against the very ideals of what the Founders of this nation envisioned. Then of course you have the many ex-military personnel who would side with the people, not to mention a lot of police officers. History has shown time and again that superior forces can and have been defeated.
Well if it ever happens, I wish you luck. Of course in all those scenarios, the countries were pretty much destroyed and an alarming body count....usually on the side without the technology.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,258,698 times
Today in Australia, NO ONE got shot.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:12 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,436,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Today in Australia, NO ONE got shot.

Today in Palo Alto, nobody got shot.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Oh just wait! With all of those refugees coming over there in droves, and many already causing problems, I expect to hear more of that type of stuff going on over there! It's too bad that citizens in European countries (as well as your country) are restricted in having the means to defend themselves.
If it ever becomes an issue I see two scenarios.

Open gun play in the streets against the refugee hoard, compared to the properly trained authorities doing their job.

Who says the wild west is history.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:14 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,250,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
So does this mean that we are still going to open our doors to 100,000 Muslim fugitives from Syria? Our President wants to stop these killings; but it will not help to pour more fuel on the fire. Let him explain to the US citizens how they can be sure there are no extremist in the group of refugees. Of course; with the increased acts of terror, committed after this new invasion, the WH can call on more legal citizens to give up our rights!

We are not going to "open our doors" to 100,000 refugees from Syria" (i'll give you the benefit of the doubt on "refugee" rather than "fugitive"). We already take 70,000 per year which will increase over the next few years given the situation in Europe.

And don't even look at the EUTimes.net site. Its total BS.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:15 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,250,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post

You think this is a credible retort to the poster who stated zero shootings in Australia?

Old 10-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Charlie Hebdo? Parliment Hill in Ottawa? Seriously, I am thumbing through my mail and I can come up with these off the top of my head without trying! But I do agree with you, if a person cannot take the time to responsibly assess a situation they should not be firing a gun.
I'm talking about events where there WAS an armed civilian that saved the day.

You in the US have more armed civilians than Canada or France, yet you have more gun deaths. Where are all the hero's in the US ?

I wonder how many people in the US that do carry guns, for the purposes of protection or stopping a crime, believe they do NOT have the ability to assess the situation. Human nature tells me, probably most of them believe they do have that ability. Wrongly of course, but hey, that's people for you.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:23 PM

11,160 posts, read 10,742,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
You think this is a credible retort to the poster who stated zero shootings in Australia?
Using Australia as an argument for US gun control isn't credible to begin with. It's an island with no borders shared with a third world country, or countries that can serve as a gateway for third world thugs. It also has severely restricted immigration and a population which is less than that of Texas.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Good. I like Palo Alto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies