Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:43 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times

Advertisements

I've known a few. Most of them seem to take their faith seriously, but were otherwise just like everyone else I know. A few appeared to be Muslims in name only - maybe that's more common than we think.

By "everyone else" I mean that they run the gamut in personalities. For example, some were very hard working, while others were kind of slackers.

So does anybody else know any Muslims from their personal experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:47 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times
I used to be friends with one - he was alright. We'd argue the whole Israeli / Palestinian thing. I agreed w/him on some issues, and he confessed that his brother deserved getting shot in the rear end by the IDF b/c he was in Hezbollah at the time and was completely brain washed. We actually got to be very friendly at one point and then he started being weird and that was the end of it.

I know of some at work. But not on a personal level.

Like anyone else. I am sure some are smart and hardworking, some aren't.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:52 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quite a few through general life (work, school, etc) but also through a Muslim-Jewish dialogue group I belong to. I've posted before about how living in a so called "no go" zone in London was a fantastic experience for me. I even dated a few Muslim men while there.

Muslims are people, just like any other.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:53 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I've known a few. Most of them seem to take their faith seriously, but were otherwise just like everyone else I know. A few appeared to be Muslims in name only - maybe that's more common than we think.

By "everyone else" I mean that they run the gamut in personalities. For example, some were very hard working, while others were kind of slackers.

So does anybody else know any Muslims from their personal experiences?
I don't have any Muslim friends, but I know quite a few business owners. In my opinion, most of them are not very friendly, but I don't think they are trouble makers. I know one female Muslim, she used to be an Italian - American who was also a Catholic, but she married a Muslim man, and she converted to Muslim. She is a nice person, but is very serious about her new religion. I have no problem with her, but she always talks about how superior Muslim religion is compare to Christianity. Annoying, but harmless, I guess.

I've seen couple of Muslim women correcting the way she wore her headscarves in the middle of the mall, I don't think she has been fully accepted in the Muslim community, but I could be wrong. I just don't understand why somebody have to convert from one religion to another, but it is none of my business.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:01 AM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
I have one I consider to be my son and he considers me to be his American dad. Always had very positive encounters with him, his Muslim wife, and their friends.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:02 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't have any Muslim friends, but I know quite a few business owners. In my opinion, most of them are not very friendly, but I don't think they are trouble makers. I know one female Muslim, she used to be an Italian - American who was also a Catholic, but she married a Muslim man, and she converted to Muslim. She is a nice person, but is very serious about her new religion. I have no problem with her, but she always talks about how superior Muslim religion is compare to Christianity. Annoying, but harmless, I guess.

I've seen couple of Muslim women correcting the way she wore her headscarves in the middle of the mall, I don't think she has been fully accepted in the Muslim community, but I could be wrong. I just don't understand why somebody have to convert from one religion to another, but it is none of my business.
I am with you here, makes little sense to me, but I see Christians do this also. I didn't know some Mormons think they can only be married to a Mormon,( I have family members, this is how I know this) seems some Catholics and Jehovah Witness think the same. Does make one wonder, if Christians all believe the same, why the conversion is needed.

I have a friend who was a non-denomination Christian and when she married she became a Catholic, she struggles at times with not being part of her old church. To each their own......I have my reservations about Muslim religion if one is strictly adhering to it, as we see in Germany they are not being kind at ALL to others.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Yes.

Since I am not religious myself, I don't hang out with religious fundamentalists of any kind. So the muslims I know are no more dogmatic than your average episcopalian.

A muslim man I knew from work went back to visit the home folks (Turkey? Libya? can't remember) and brought back a burka for us to see. I tried the thing on, and absolutely hated it. It was heavy and severely limited my field of view. These things are simply not safe.

Another muslim man and I used to swap our respective "fundie mom" stories. It was hilarious how often these two women, from such different backgrounds, sounded exactly alike.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:10 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Of course.
And no, none of them are crazies or shysters, because I am not friends with crazies or shysters; the few "friends" I've had that turned out to be crazies were cut off, particularly when I had to go to the police on one (suspect mental illness).

Old 10-31-2015, 11:42 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Of course I have 2 friends, co workers. Bat **** crazy...lol
Only thing they dont do is pork.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If Christians all believe the same, why the conversion is needed.
They aren't all the same. I mean, Martin Luther's 95 theses, was a list of 95 things he thought the Catholic Church was "doing wrong". And Mormonism is an entirely different book(Book of Mormon). Some Christian sects are pretty close to each other, but some are very far apart.

I mean, politically, Mormons are about as Conservative as you get. But a "Unitarian" is nearly as far-left as Karl Marx.

The same applies to Islam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islami...s_and_branches

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't have any Muslim friends, but I know quite a few business owners. In my opinion, most of them are not very friendly, but I don't think they are trouble makers.
I'll say, the Muslims seem to be fairly cordial in polite company, but they tend to be a bit "standoffish", and very serious. I don't find them to be "bad people" necessarily, but I highly doubt they would ever in a million years be my friend. And we need to make sure we separate friend from acquaintance. A lot of people have a tendency to lump friends and acquaintances together.

A real friend, is someone who, if your life didn't overlap for that moment, you would still be their friend. I have had a lot of coworkers and roommates who tend to think of me as their friend. But I try to explain to them nicely, that the second they no longer work with me, or live with me, is the day I stop talking to them. I'm just not going to drive across town to see them. At best I might wish them a happy birthday on facebook.

The only people I go out of my way to spend time with, are my "real friends", who tend to be very similar to me, and have similar interests, and similar backgrounds. And then my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies