Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

And I wonder what they learn about other religions. This is only an issue because it was Islam and a lot of Americans are offended by Islam, scared of it, and have a problem with it. I would be interested in knowing how exactly other religions are taught in this school. People only see issues with things they dislike. It's possible the curriculum goes similarly in depth/hands on with other religions but no one cared until it was Islam.
If the teacher is covering world geography, the class probably does learn about different religions around the world.

That's why I called this a tempest in a teapot.

This thread (and the news article in the OP) is very similar to the clip that surfaced showing small children singing about Obama when he first became president. All the republicans were soooooo fearful that their children were saying the word 'Obama', and singing his praises.

The only problem was, the children learned a long song that began with George Washington and covered ALL of the presidents, as a way to help them remember the names of the presidents. The video ONLY showed them singing about Obama.

But, anyway, lets keep our kids ignorant about the world! Ignorance is bliss, after all!

Everyone knows that ignorance equals power! (not knowledge, oh dear me, no!)

In fact, if the powers that be actually had knowledge of the muslim religion back in the late 40s-early 50s, we would most likely not have the problems we are having today. Don't forget...the western world took it upon themselves to create these countries, regardless of the different sects of Islam.

We always reap what we sow, eventually...

Old 12-17-2015, 12:13 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Strange out of all the things one can say not religious, this is all they had. Who put this together, are they running short on poems and simple phrases? Is Shakespeare kicked out of schools ?
Was Shakespeare middle-eastern?

Old 12-17-2015, 12:13 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
ugh another case of people (American's) blowing a simple task out of proportion.

It was 9th grade (older kids, not babies in 1st grade) world geography class where they are bound to learn about religion. Much of our world history and geography is related to religion. If you want American kids to know what is going on outside the great world of America they need to learn about the world that exist which means learning about different culture & different way of life. The school picked up the most common phase used in calligraphy. "my dog at my homework" or other silly commonly used sentence is USA are not common in other parts of the world.

It is ridicules to think the school is trying to convert kids to Islam. It is even more ridicules to think one can convert to another religion simply by copying a text. How dumb are you people? Americans are the dumbest in the world when it comes to understanding the world. Most average Americans can't even show a country in the map aside from USA & maybe where Canada or Mexico is and parents are perfectly happy raising another group of dumb Americans who are so self centered that nothing outside of USA will exist in their mind. God forbid if a teacher try's to teach about the world, the parents will start complaining.
While I agree with you in general, I also admit that it is often a fine line between learning about and understanding different countries and cultures, and crossing that line to the point it may seem like advocacy. As with any profession, some educators don't always have the judgement to walk that tightrope. So, every once in a while we're going to hear such stories about teachers who go too far.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:14 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Did Islam put together this worksheet? As several of our participants here have noted, Islam in general would not approve of their profession of faith being in the hands of non-Islamic children. The worksheet in question was vetted by the state DOE, & meets their academic requirements. If you want to raise a stink about the exercise, those are the people you want to question. Offhand, I would expect that any believer would be appalled that core religious doctrine was taken & used for an exercise in hand-eye, fine motor skills.

Indeed, and one of my points. If the point was to show that Muslim seeking artistic expression practice elaborate calligraphy rather than painting from nature, there is so much more such Muslim calligraphic expressions besides their core belief expressions.

"Don't use anyone's religious beliefs as anything other than a specific discussion of those religious beliefs" should be clearly understood in the educational community by now. In fact, it ought to be so clearly understood that it does make me wonder if there aren't other agendas being forwarded.

Quote:
That's something that the state DOE & etc. should have considered before printing up this particular worksheet, but that's water under the bridge now - or stars in the sky, if you want a more culturally sensitive & appropriate metaphor.

Instead of protesting, they could just learn the lesson: "Don't use anyone's religious beliefs as anything other than a specific discussion of those religious beliefs."

Old 12-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
My point is that Christians should not be offended, and you, a Muslim, should certainly not be, for the simple fact that exposure to elements of your religion would bring better understanding and appreciation. I am responding directly to your previous post that said a Muslim would be offended if a non-Muslim child was writing some sort of script whatever. The point is....stop all this offense business and learn to appreciate each other in the 21st century!
Yes, this is a good point.

I remember when visiting southern Thailand (which is predominantly Muslim) for the first time I was interested in visiting a mosque. I wanted to try and understand the culture. So on a boat tour that included a fishing village, I walked over to the small local mosque and there was a sign at the gate: "Non-Muslims may not enter. But you may give money." Ahem.

As I continued my trip, next up was Malaysia. I thought that in Kuala Lumpur I would try visiting the main old historic mosque where the 2 rivers come together. At the gate there were 2 signs -- one welcoming visitors and another not allowing visitors. Hmmmmmm. I was dressed extremely conservatively; no camera. I thought I would walk through the gate and see what happened. You know the old saying -- if looks could kill. So I left, clearly not welcome.

Finally in Singapore, there was a mosque where they actually welcomed visitors, had tours, and provided cultural information.

But here's my point -- visitors were clearly not welcomed into mosques throughout Thailand and Malaysia. But what did I hear most often from Muslims in those 2 countries when I would have conversations with the locals? "Americans do not understand Islam". Well, duh! If you will not share your culture, other will not understand.

And it's not just Islam. Mormons are a little like that to a degree. American Indians in some areas are like that. Close others out, and they will not understand your culture, and without an understanding, there can be no respect.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's kind of like saying a black child should not be offended by a teacher showing clips of white men portraying "Amos and Andy" in blackface as a generic example of early 20th century television.
Just for the record, Amos and Andy as portrayed on television were Black actors.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I really can't believe people are spinning this as indoctrination. Everyone needs to relax. The kids won't be converted by writing calligraphy one time in one class of something they can't even understand and I imagine frustrated the living hell out of them trying to copy it nicely because again, that sure as hell doesn't look easy.

Like I said, I really think the issue here is solely that it's Islam. If the kids were asked to write something in Hebrew similarly, would there be this outcry? People need to relax. A little education can only help, with the reactions I'm seeing both in the article/from the parents and here.

And yes this mother is a total nut. She more than anyone needs to relax.
to learn about the mideast requires some learning about Islam. Islamic Calligraphy is one way to do so. most Islamic art work is calligraphic in nature and is usually a prayer, supplication or quote from the Qur'an or Ahadith

This is the Shahadah written out in Stylized Diwani Calligraphy.

To understand the Arab Nations does entail some understanding of Islam. But

similarly one can not understand many things about the Western Nations without some understanding of Christianity.

Over 1/2 of the world is influenced by Islam and Christianity. as we can not escape living together we should learn about each other. That does not require detaied religious instructions and should not be misused to convert anyone.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Seriously, Muslim folks need to get into the 21st century, where people find joy and honor in learning about one another. Pleasee put away all these "insults to the faith" business and join the modern world! I too am sick of all these "insults" that Muslims feel at the slightest unintended "insults." It's ridiculous.

Grow a pair and join the 21st century. Otherwise, go in a corner and sulk on your own. Don't blame the rest of the world for your own heightened sensitivity.
I'll remember this post in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Wake up folks- this is the new America. We are being Islamacized, and most people are sleeping. The gov't (including our school systems, and especially Obama) favors Islam over Christianity. I believe it's too late as America is too busy playing with their electronic gadgets to pay attention. As The Bible says "these things must come to pass". Keep ignoring everything, and/or agree with the media bias towards Islam. There is no outrage because most people truly are too ignorant or apathetic to care.

How precious.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, this is a good point.

I remember when visiting southern Thailand (which is predominantly Muslim) for the first time I was interested in visiting a mosque. I wanted to try and understand the culture. So on a boat tour that included a fishing village, I walked over to the small local mosque and there was a sign at the gate: "Non-Muslims may not enter. But you may give money." Ahem.

As I continued my trip, next up was Malaysia. I thought that in Kuala Lumpur I would try visiting the main old historic mosque where the 2 rivers come together. At the gate there were 2 signs -- one welcoming visitors and another not allowing visitors. Hmmmmmm. I was dressed extremely conservatively; no camera. I thought I would walk through the gate and see what happened. You know the old saying -- if looks could kill. So I left, clearly not welcome.

Finally in Singapore, there was a mosque where they actually welcomed visitors, had tours, and provided cultural information.

But here's my point -- visitors were clearly not welcomed into mosques throughout Thailand and Malaysia. But what did I hear most often from Muslims in those 2 countries when I would have conversations with the locals? "Americans do not understand Islam". Well, duh! If you will not share your culture, other will not understand.

And it's not just Islam. Mormons are a little like that to a degree. American Indians in some areas are like that. Close others out, and they will not understand your culture, and without an understanding, there can be no respect.
Every Mosque is individual. Usually built by and maintained by the Imam. There is no central authority that authorizes or prohibits building a Mosque. Anyone can build a Mosque. They are not copy-right protected and do not come under any central religious leadership. As a result there are differences. I personally would not enter a Mosque that is not open to the public and does not welcome visitors. also be suspicious of any Mosque that tries to collect money, we do not tithe.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Quote:
Technically, Allah is God, the same deity that the Christians and the Jews worship and believe as the one true god.
This is completely false.
stark contrast
Allah allows and promotes lies ,

God of heaven commits all liars to judgment hell .
Jesus 600 years before Mohamid, proclaimed that "Satan is a liar and the father of it."
There are many other contrasts to Allah, and God of heaven.
With the satan worship that goes on among the elite ,it is no surprise they go along with the muslim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies