Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 04:16 PM

269 posts, read 178,523 times

Advertisements

#1 Marijuana is easier to abuse.......A lot easier. This is because you can still somewhat function on it. It makes people worthless, but not so worthless that they can be caught doing things you're not supposed to be doing while altered like driving, going to work, or parenting.

#2 There are no on site testing methods that have been proven effective for gauging how high someone is. Tolerances vary so greatly with Marijuana that it's almost impossible to have a set level that can be tested for because a level that would put an occasional user on planet 9 is what most stoners are at even when they're not high.

#3 It's a gateway drug. People hate hearing this, but it's true.

#4 It attracts undesirables. Just ask those that don't smoke in CO. Thousands of worthless stupid stoners are now residing in CO, due to legalized marijuana. Everything from annoying hippies, to ex-cons, to poor white trash have pored into the state because of this new drug policy. If we legalized it nationally, it will just attract more deadbeats from other countries to enter the U.S. illegally, so they can embrace the pot culture.

#5 Potheads are the most annoying high maintenance people on earth. I would honestly rather deal with a junkie or crackhead before most potheads. This is because at least most people addicted to hard drugs actually know that they're drug addicts.

I voted for legalization in WA because people are going to do what they want to do. No sense in making criminals out of non-violent offenders. I also like making lazy drug dealers have to get a job. It's sooooo kewl. You simply wanted reasons why someone would be apposed, so there you go kid.

Also, I smoke pot LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:17 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
A billion in sales? Do you have any idea the kind of money the cartels are willing to pay to keep it illegal? Multi billions. It may be decriminalized in certain states, but legalization? I wouldn't hold my breath.. You will pay more for it though in the future. You have to pay the cartel to pay your senators and congressmen off...

Old 02-01-2016, 04:18 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am a conservative and a gun owner.

I do not care whether you smoke pot, drop acid, or snort coke. Ruin your life if you want, as it is your life. If you want to eat or drink yourself to death, that is okay with me as well.

Most conservatives, in contrast to what liberals think, do not want to regulate or interfere with anyone else's life. That role of interference and subjugation is the practice of liberals, who constantly want to deter the personal and financial freedoms of thier fellow citizens.

I actually think pot should be legal, as all the stoners find some way to procure it, regardless of the law. However, I always take issue with the contention that pot has a "medical" benefit (there is none); it is a fallacious argument used in the quest to get pot legalized.
Well yeah, you're a science denier so even if you've read the research papers you'd dismiss it them fraudulent. I guess there's no medical benefit to drugs like morphine either is there?

Old 02-01-2016, 04:34 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
#1 Marijuana is easier to abuse.......A lot easier. This is because you can still somewhat function on it. It makes people worthless, but not so worthless that they can be caught doing things you're not supposed to be doing while altered like driving, going to work, or parenting.

I have used it daily for 40+ years, and if you could meet me and see my accomplishments during that time, you would know that I in no way resemble worthless. You are incorrect.
Quote:

#2 There are no on site testing methods that have been proven effective for gauging how high someone is. Tolerances vary so greatly with Marijuana that it's almost impossible to have a set level that can be tested for because a level that would put an occasional user on planet 9 is what most stoners are at even when they're not high.

You are correct on this point, tolerances do indeed vary greatly. In cases where testing is needed, impairment tests are the way to go, not blood THC levels.
Quote:
#3 It's a gateway drug. People hate hearing this, but it's true.

Then explain how I never even had any desire at all to try hard drugs? While you are at it, please explain why evey long-term user I know also never "gatewayed". There are millions of other similar examples. You are incorrect.
Quote:
#4 It attracts undesirables. Just ask those that don't smoke in CO. Thousands of worthless stupid stoners are now residing in CO, due to legalized marijuana. Everything from annoying hippies, to ex-cons, to poor white trash have pored into the state because of this new drug policy. If we legalized it nationally, it will just attract more deadbeats from other countries to enter the U.S. illegally, so they can embrace the pot culture.

That is a BIG stretch -- attract deadbeats from other countries. That is laughable, and a perfect example of grasping at straws. I have news for you. The reason it is illegal across most of the western world is because of treaty agreements and pressure from the US. Once the US legalizes, so will most of the rest of the world. You are incorrect.
Quote:
#5 Potheads are the most annoying high maintenance people on earth. I would honestly rather deal with a junkie or crackhead before most potheads. This is because at least most people addicted to hard drugs actually know that they're drug addicts.

I have more news for you. You are around these "potheads" every day and you don't even know it. They are your coworkers, friends, professionals, and bosses. The reason you don't know it is because they are neither annoying nor high maintenance, and they number in the millions. You are incorrect.

Quote:
I voted for legalization in WA because people are going to do what they want to do. No sense in making criminals out of non-violent offenders. I also like making lazy drug dealers have to get a job. It's sooooo kewl. You simply wanted reasons why someone would be apposed, so there you go kid.

Thank you! At least you are able to separate the two issues, and are able to see the damage caused by prohibition, regardless of what you think about the plant and those who use it. Way to go! You are correct!

Old 02-01-2016, 05:26 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
A billion in sales? Do you have any idea the kind of money the cartels are willing to pay to keep it illegal? Multi billions. It may be decriminalized in certain states, but legalization? I wouldn't hold my breath.. You will pay more for it though in the future. You have to pay the cartel to pay your senators and congressmen off...

their not going to do much, look at alcohol, where is all the booze cartels. if they were going to do something about legalization they would have razed all the pot shops and med dispensaries to the ground by now. 38 hundred mj dispensaries already exist, they are doing just fine.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I have used it daily for 40+ years, and if you could meet me and see my accomplishments during that time, you would know that I in no way resemble worthless. You are incorrect.

You are correct on this point, tolerances do indeed vary greatly. In cases where testing is needed, impairment tests are the way to go, not blood THC levels.

Then explain how I never even had any desire at all to try hard drugs? While you are at it, please explain why evey long-term user I know also never "gatewayed". There are millions of other similar examples. You are incorrect.

That is a BIG stretch -- attract deadbeats from other countries. That is laughable, and a perfect example of grasping at straws. I have news for you. The reason it is illegal across most of the western world is because of treaty agreements and pressure from the US. Once the US legalizes, so will most of the rest of the world. You are incorrect.

I have more news for you. You are around these "potheads" every day and you don't even know it. They are your coworkers, friends, professionals, and bosses. The reason you don't know it is because they are neither annoying nor high maintenance, and they number in the millions. You are incorrect.

Thank you! At least you are able to separate the two issues, and are able to see the damage caused by prohibition, regardless of what you think about the plant and those who use it. Way to go! You are correct!
The thing is that those who have addictive personalities/issues are more likely to be the long term pot users. Hard drugs are harder to get and addicts die faster if they continue.

So I think there is bias towards pot heads, when people really just dislike junkies (me included), regardless of their drug, and don't mind responsible users.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Regarding the "Marijuana is a gateway drug" statement. Yes it currently IS a gateway drug due to its legal status in the United States. When people that choose to use marijuana look to purchase it they are forced to deal with criminal drug dealers that may also offer other substances along with marijuana or KNOW how to obtain them for customers.

If marijuana was LEGAL it would have the same "gateway drug" status as alcohol does. A marijuana store operates the same way an alcohol outlet does. They sell one product.

In summary the war on drugs is a gateway to hard drug abuse. It has created an underground criminal network with no regulation and has INCREASED the availability of the more dangerous narcotics.

In my opinion marijuana should not be illegal for adult citizens. People should not have property seized or go to jail if they grow a couple of plants. What a citizen does in the privacy of their own home as long as no physical harm comes to others is not the government's concern.

If someone is SELLING marijuana then I can understand some sort of criminal charges. The use, personal cultivation and possession of marijuana should be a citizens personal choice. What ever happened to Freedom in this country? When did that morph into "Freedom as long as it suits our agenda"?

Old 02-02-2016, 06:00 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Is this really a serious thread? I quit smoking pot after 25+ years for 1 simple reason: it had become a habit. Works over, finished gym, dinners done... Time to smoke and play call of duty.

Oh, wait, that explains itself. 38 year olds (at time of cessation) shouldn't still be getting high playing call of duty. Lol also made my attention span on the golf course non-existent.

I would argue to decriminalize, vs legalize, for a couple reasons. Eventually legalization will more than likely lead to lower THC levels (like beer). Taxing it is just more money states and Feds will waste. Legalization is another political platform ... Something most don't need (very decriminalization, like parking tickets).

The skeptic on medical marijuana can point to a plethora of peer reviewed case studies showing positive or negative effects. Jury is still out... But what we DO know is inhalation is not good on the respiratory system, and in many individuals, the following case of the munchies does lead to a spike in insulin levels.

I don't care either way...too many in hails over it, for sure. Too much time devoted to pointless banter (mine included) without doubt.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:43 AM

30,067 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Well yeah, you're a science denier so even if you've read the research papers you'd dismiss it them fraudulent. I guess there's no medical benefit to drugs like morphine either is there?

"Science denier"?????

Again, I have published in the medical literature. Periodically, the STATE asks me to review the literature regarding EVIDENCE for the "medical uses" of pot.

Given my training (gee...... you have none), I have not found ONE SINGLE, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE BLINDED, PROSPECTIVE STUDY WITH VALID STATISTICS TO VERIFY A "MEDICAL" USE FOR POT.
This has been confirmed by my associates in other states as well. I WROTE the opioid prescribing guidelines for our state. So.................. perhaps I know just a little more about this topic than you. However, the average liberal will dismiss any formal training, knowledge, or experience, as they are superior beings. I am a little surprised that you don't have liberal office workers attempting to perform neurosurgery, as in thier mind, they know more than the average neurosurgeon.

It is simply amazing that those with the least education or training presume expertise. This is called "The Dunning-Kruger Effect".

I really do not care whether you smoke pot, drop acid, snort coke, or eat mushrooms- don't care. However, do not suggest that these drugs of abuse have any medical efficacy- they don't. It is akin to Granny from the 60s sitcom "The Beverly Hillbillies" referring to moonshine as "rheumatiz medicine".

Old 02-02-2016, 06:56 AM

30,067 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

Total BULLCRAP.

It is funny, as an article TWO WEEKS AGO in NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE (I guess you don't read it) showed that pot use and non-medical prescription opioid use was one of the biggest predictors for subsequent HEROIN USE. Further, studies have shown a decline in IQ and functional PET scan images of the hippocampal regions of pot users. There is a clear association with chronic COPD and an increased rate of testicular cancer associated with chronic pot users.

Libs and pseudo-scientists do not read the medical literature, thus their constant confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies