Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 09:26 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Well you're not in charge. I'd love to see your reaction if they made it illegal to own guns. You conservatives champion freedom as long as it's a freedom you approve of. You guys are pathetic.

I am a conservative and a gun owner.

I do not care whether you smoke pot, drop acid, or snort coke. Ruin your life if you want, as it is your life. If you want to eat or drink yourself to death, that is okay with me as well.

Most conservatives, in contrast to what liberals think, do not want to regulate or interfere with anyone else's life. That role of interference and subjugation is the practice of liberals, who constantly want to deter the personal and financial freedoms of thier fellow citizens.

I actually think pot should be legal, as all the stoners find some way to procure it, regardless of the law. However, I always take issue with the contention that pot has a "medical" benefit (there is none); it is a fallacious argument used in the quest to get pot legalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:28 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Go ahead. I'm waiting for you "freedom loving" conservatives to chime in.
I'm a "freedom loving conservative", and I think it should be legal, just like alcohol. Matter of fact, most, if not all conservatives I know think it should be legal.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I still don't see it happening. The money involved is astronomical and it is not all going to campaigns. A lot of it is going into politicians pockets. They are not going to turn away from the trough, only find other ways to deceive.
You are correct, it is astronomical and it mostly goes into their pockets. But those politicians are receiving money from other corrupt money sources also, and if they can't keep their seat they lose all of it. I still say that they will be forced to support legalization in order to hang onto their seat in congress, which also gives them an opportunity to find other corrupt money sources.

Can you tell that I think our lawmakers are corrupt?

Of course, it will remain illegal in a number of states, mostly in the Bible belt, for quite a while.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:38 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
You are correct, it is astronomical and it mostly goes into their pockets. But those politicians are receiving money from other corrupt money sources also, and if they can't keep their seat they lose all of it. I still say that they will be forced to support legalization in order to hang onto their seat in congress, which also gives them an opportunity to find other corrupt money sources.

Can you tell that I think our lawmakers are corrupt?

Of course, it will remain illegal in a number of states, mostly in the Bible belt, for quite a while.
I do believe in legalization, but as stated previously. The tentacles of corruption within our government are massive.. The prison business alone is a huge incentive to keep business booming. Not to mention direct bribes by some of the cartels etc. The list goes on and on. Elections are for sale in this country and that is not going to change anytime soon. It is more than just a question of marijuana legalization. Much more.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Do explain how marijuana is a "public nuisance" and health hazard.

It's only an expensive problem for the public because of prohibition. Reasonable states have legalized it and are enjoying being able to direct police resources at actual crimes, not having their jails filled with people who've done nothing to anyone, and they get a whole bunch of extra tax revenue to pump into schools, law enforcement, and alcohol treatment.

Prohibitionists like to blather on about how horrible marijuana is for the public, seemingly unable to grasp the simple fact that marijuana isn't the problem, prohibition is. This is more than a little strange since we already saw what a disaster alcohol prohibition was and can easily witness the harmful effects of marijuana prohibition today.
Yeah. I'm done with this thread. Any nuanced conversation goes right over their heads. Waste of time.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:19 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
...I always take issue with the contention that pot has a "medical" benefit (there is none); it is a fallacious argument used in the quest to get pot legalized.
That's not what NIDA says, or the National Cancer Institute.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:01 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I'm a "freedom loving conservative", and I think it should be legal, just like alcohol. Matter of fact, most, if not all conservatives I know think it should be legal.

The largest opponent of legal marijuana are the progressives. They use archaic drug laws as a method to incarcerate minorities.

From the Chicago Tribune:

"There's only one thing standing in the way of the Democratic Party using the pot issue to win elections, curtail arrests of minorities, free money for social programs and cement the allegiance of young voters: Democratic politicians."

Note that Brown is opposed. Cuomo was opposed. Bloomberg was opposed.

Big government can't function without big regulations.

Rand Paul says decriminalize it.

Gary Johnson says smoke 'em.

The republican governers of Texas, NM, and NJ say it's up the state.

HR Clinton? Not so much.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:52 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Yeah. I'm done with this thread. Any nuanced conversation goes right over their heads. Waste of time.

I could have told you that 3 years ago, I've been going at it for 6 years here on cd. some post out of pure hatred. weed will be legal in a few years no matter what..

Old 02-01-2016, 04:05 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The largest opponent of legal marijuana are the progressives. They use archaic drug laws as a method to incarcerate minorities. ..
Those laws aren't so archaic. Read up on your history of the war on drugs.

"Smoke and Mirrors", by Dan Baum, is a good one.

Nixon started the war on drugs, but Reagan was the guy who really escalated it with new, draconian laws.

Most politicians on both sides, who are currently in office, hesitate to touch this issue

because its reward/risk ratio is not favorable.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:06 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
For those that think the legalization movement is fringe, here something that might wake you up:

Recreational marijuana sales hit nearly $1 billion in 2015 - MarketWatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies