Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 03:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Jeez weed should be mellowing everyone out. So what some contend it is bad for a person... They have valid points!

Some contend it shouldn't be a schedule 1. They are probably right!

It is a drug, it is addictive (very mild physiologically, quite strong in some physchologically), but, whether it's the casual user or the high all day, it can be a reasonable addiction (meaning highly functional). There is some evidence pointing towards medicinal uses (much of it anecdotal but some appears as valid for nausea, maybe glaucoma although placebos have also had similar effects).

I quit after 25+ years because I got bored with it. I'd still prefer someone be baked beyond to work on something I'm paying for vs. being inebriated from alcohol, benzodiazepines, opiates, meth, or cocaine derivatives (but maybe not lsd if I'm at a comedy club). But pointing out the dangers in other drugs to justify the safety in weed... Never quite understood that. Well maybe I understood it in high school but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far away (or maybe I was on another acid trip. Lol)

If you were to take a drug based on which one was the safest weed would be the one. weed is the most popular drug world wide it, surpassed alcohol and for good reason. it is way safer than alcohol, in the us alone 1600 die from overdose on booze annually, weed zero..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:24 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
If you were to take a drug based on which one was the safest weed would be the one. weed is the most popular drug world wide it, surpassed alcohol and for good reason. it is way safer than alcohol, in the us alone 1600 die from overdose on booze annually, weed zero..
Aren't you just agreeing with what I said in regards to safety in inebriation? But then you make the point I'm hitting at: justification. At least it's admitted weeds a drug. I'll pay a stoned person to perform a task before a drunk because it is a mostly functional buzz (albeit a bit slower ).

Btw, a lot more die that 1600 from alcohol od a year. Cdc puts 2200+ on average (2000-2012) but also cites that's the number they get from the icd code and the actual amount is substantially higher. Basically, it's way under reported.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Aren't you just agreeing with what I said in regards to safety in inebriation? But then you make the point I'm hitting at: justification. At least it's admitted weeds a drug. I'll pay a stoned person to perform a task before a drunk because it is a mostly functional buzz (albeit a bit slower ).

Btw, a lot more die that 1600 from alcohol od a year. Cdc puts 2200+ on average (2000-2012) but also cites that's the number they get from the icd code and the actual amount is substantially higher. Basically, it's way under reported.

what ever the amount that die from overdose? its a lot.. over my life time I've seen alcohol wreck at least 25 people, some to the grave. my brother became an alcoholic from the first drink, it nearly killed him by time he was 22 years old. he finally quit for 28 years and then started drinking again for another 3 years he finally quit again for 7 months, he smokes pot and has no problem with it, he works practically 7 days a week. raised two kids put both through collage all smoking pot through the 28 years he was off the booze,, if he had kept drinking he would have been dead by the age 25!!! I know plenty of people that smoke pot that own businesses or have good careers. I drink like once a year now and smoke a few splifs a week.. not once have I done something stupid on pot, wish I could say that when I used to be a booze weekend worrier.. more and more I see people giving up booze for pot and for good reason. drunks do the most stupidest things, the injuries caused by drinking to much alcohol alone are enough to want to quit..

Old 02-02-2016, 03:55 PM

65 posts, read 45,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
Oh, I think I got you pegged. That's why you're freaking out. Addicts hate hearing the truth. I cool with you're addiction. It's your denial that is truly pathetic.

Like I said, it's people with your mindset that make non-smokers second guess legalizing pot. Any rational person reading the nonsense you're touting is shaking their head guaranteed.
Who is addicted to pot though?

I think the prevailing opinion is that there is really no way to control drug use so maybe we should bring it out in the open so people with the problems are less afraid to seek help. Not sure what the point is of locking up people for using drugs. Committing violence to support their habits should still be punished of course though

I think that a "sin" tax on legal drugs is good because it can be used for good in society

Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My bad... I should have been more specific and said good reasons... I don't care if you go to prison for breaking a federal law. Gangs will still exist, they will simply change what they sell and fight over. There has been no definite benefit linked directly to cannabis medically. Actually I don't care if it's legalized or not. That said, I have never met a smoker who wasn't basically a loser.. If the shoe fits...
You taxes pay for our bloated prisons, which do little to change people's behavior and are running rampant with corruption, and you're indifferent? Fascinating.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
You taxes pay for our bloated prisons, which do little to change people's behavior and are running rampant with corruption, and you're indifferent? Fascinating.

just the moneys spent treating medical ailments in prisons are huge. the excuse that people make that the don't want to pay for drug addicts is lame they are paying more for incarcerating than for rehab.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:57 PM

30,069 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
You mad?

Look guy, you're a drug addict that doesn't operate at 100% because you're on drugs. You're in serious denial just like most drug addicts or alcoholics. You would be more productive living your life sober. End of story.

I have no problem with Marijuana. As I've already said, I smoke it from time to time and voted for it's legalization in my state. What I do have a problem with is listening to some delusional drug addict that's been high for 40 years tell me that he/she isn't an addict. As I've already said, this is one of the biggest reasons non-smokers don't want it legalized. They don't want to deal with Peter Potsmoker that thinks a mind altering substance isn't a real drug. Also, people know that you're high, they just don't care enough to make a deal out of it. Enough with you're hippy nonsense already.
You are quite correct. An addict is an addict, is an addict.

Pot addicts are no different than any other addicts. The posts of pot addicts in this thread confirms the unifying aspect of addicts- denial of a problem and rationalizing their behavior through relativism. It is like a mass murderer saying they are not as bad as Joseph Stalin.

EVERY ADDICT (Pot or otherwise) tries to rationalize and excuse thier addiction by denial and relative comparisons. As someone who deals with addicts every day, I have found this thread to be consistent with what I see in patients. Sad, but true.

You can never, ever trust an addict. The only time an addict realizes thier condition is after they have successfully gone throught treatment. Whether you are a pot, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, prescription drug addict or whatever........................... the problem is not the drug. Look north of the eyebrows.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
what ever the amount that die from overdose? its a lot.. over my life time I've seen alcohol wreck at least 25 people, some to the grave. my brother became an alcoholic from the first drink, it nearly killed him by time he was 22 years old. he finally quit for 28 years and then started drinking again for another 3 years he finally quit again for 7 months, he smokes pot and has no problem with it, he works practically 7 days a week. raised two kids put both through collage all smoking pot through the 28 years he was off the booze,, if he had kept drinking he would have been dead by the age 25!!! I know plenty of people that smoke pot that own businesses or have good careers. I drink like once a year now and smoke a few splifs a week.. not once have I done something stupid on pot, wish I could say that when I used to be a booze weekend worrier.. more and more I see people giving up booze for pot and for good reason. drunks do the most stupidest things, the injuries caused by drinking to much alcohol alone are enough to want to quit..
That is very commendable in regards to your family history and am very happy for both you and your brother.

I would caution about using anecdotal (your experience) in regards to addiction and about what you are willing to share in open forums because others may have experienced something completely opposite.

Bottom line is addiction is a m.fer... Any way it's sliced and one of the worst parts of it is either the comparing (this addiction is easy, this ones worst!) or the belittling that occurs. Plus it is a very personal thing for many individuals and families, hence the anonymous aspect of aa, na, ga, etc... Personally, I've seen mrt (marijuana replacement therapy) work for SOME (seen it fail for a lot more). Many people won't act as a serious sponsor for those that try... But that's part of the program, if one attends (not trying to recruit, or persuade. The program is for some, not for others and this isn't the forum to discuss).

Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Pot addicts are no different than any other addicts. The posts of pot addicts in this thread confirms the unifying aspect of addicts- denial of a problem and rationalizing their behavior through relativism. It is like a mass murderer saying they are not as bad as Joseph Stalin.

EVERY ADDICT (Pot or otherwise) tries to rationalize and excuse thier addiction by denial and relative comparisons. As someone who deals with addicts every day, I have found this thread to be consistent with what I see in patients. Sad, but true.

You can never, ever trust an addict. The only time an addict realizes thier condition is after they have successfully gone throught treatment. Whether you are a pot, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, prescription drug addict or whatever........................... the problem is not the drug. Look north of the eyebrows.
Hades, treatment doesn't work either until the addict ... Makes it work. Oft times with false starts, going astray, etc...

Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I hope you don't drink alcohol of any sort cause that would make you an addict how many friends oops addicts have you had in your life that drink alcohol or do any other drug.. I know people that drink alcohol every day, glass of wine. few beers or mixed drinks and they are just fine. I know people that drink once a week once a month and in my case I drink once or twice a year now, does that make some one an addict?? same goes with pot. some smoke every day, some a few times a week, or once a month or less. does that make them all addicts no freaking way.. sure some abuse alcohol like my bro did and some will abuse pot but that does not make everybody an addict!! because if you count all the people that do some sort of drug whether it be opiates, alcohol, pot, cocaine, meth, and every other concoction that has ever been created natural or synthetic 90 percent of the populous would be considered drug addicts according to you.

not to mention all the addicts that are addicted to soda, sweets, food in general and many other things to many to mention they are all addicts.. whether it be the guy that drinks one soda a week or the guy that drinks a case a week. what about the coffee? does drinking one cup a day make one an addict? or 2, 3,4 ,5 a day. what about the guy that drinks one cup a week or one cup a month are they addicts??

Last edited by cruxan; 02-02-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies