Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 06:57 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Science denier"?????

Again, I have published in the medical literature. Periodically, the STATE asks me to review the literature regarding EVIDENCE for the "medical uses" of pot.

Given my training (gee...... you have none), I have not found ONE SINGLE, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE BLINDED, PROSPECTIVE STUDY WITH VALID STATISTICS TO VERIFY A "MEDICAL" USE FOR POT.
This has been confirmed by my associates in other states as well.

It is simply amazing that those with the least education or training presume expertise. This is called "The Dunning-Kruger Effect".

I really do not care whether you smoke pot, drop acid, snort coke, or eat mushrooms- don't care. However, do not suggest that these drugs of abuse have any medical efficacy- they don't. It is akin to the 60s sitcom "The Beverly Hillbillies" referring to moonshine as "rheumatiz medicineGranny from ".
Well, moonshine, or alcohol, has known medicinal benefits. Two drinks a day has been shown to be beneficial. Also useful in medicines such as cold medicine. Is a good general anesthetic so it relieves pain from arthritis and rheumatism. Etc., etc. Maybe Granny was on to something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 06:58 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,183 times
Quote:
"Science denier"?????

Again, I have published in the medical literature. Periodically, the STATE asks me to review the literature regarding EVIDENCE for the "medical uses" of pot.

Given my training (gee...... you have none), I have not found ONE SINGLE, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE BLINDED, PROSPECTIVE STUDY WITH VALID STATISTICS TO VERIFY A "MEDICAL" USE FOR POT.
This has been confirmed by my associates in other states as well. I WROTE the opioid prescribing guidelines for our state. So.................. perhaps I know just a little more about this topic than you. However, the average liberal will dismiss any formal training, knowledge, or experience, as they are superior beings. I am a little surprised that you don't have liberal office workers attempting to perform neurosurgery, as in thier mind, they know more than the average neurosurgeon.

It is simply amazing that those with the least education or training presume expertise. This is called "The Dunning-Kruger Effect".

I really do not care whether you smoke pot, drop acid, snort coke, or eat mushrooms- don't care. However, do not suggest that these drugs of abuse have any medical efficacy- they don't. It is akin to Granny from the 60s sitcom "The Beverly Hillbillies" referring to moonshine as "rheumatiz medicine".
Great state you live in by the way!

Opioids ravished this state too (average an od a day in my city). From my background, I did chuckle when someone posted mj as a benefit for alcoholism... That's referred to in the community as the 'mrt- marijuana replacement therapy).

Keep up the good work on opioids. It is a bear, indeed.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,571 times
Quote:
"Science denier"?????

This has been confirmed by my associates in other states as well. I WROTE the opioid prescribing guidelines for our state. So.................. perhaps I know just a little more about this topic than you.

I told myself days ago that I was not going to respond to any of your posts because you are so blind and deluded that you don't deserve any of my time. But doctor or not, YOU ARE BLIND.

Even if your statement "I have not found ONE SINGLE, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE BLINDED, PROSPECTIVE STUDY WITH VALID STATISTICS TO VERIFY A "MEDICAL" USE FOR POT" were true, all you have to do is open your eyes. Millions are helped by using it EVERY SINGLE DAY, and the evidence is obvious. Glaucoma and nausea due to chemotherapy are two of the most obvious examples.

What you are saying is that since no double blind studies that meets all of your criteria exists on marijuana's effect on nausea, then there is no benefit. Even if you saw 1000 patients gain weight and health by using it right in front of your eyes, you would still tout that it has no medical benefit. Pathetic.

I know you will not do this, but please watch the "Weed" series on CNN by Dr. Sanjay Gupta. He was in your camp, certain that the risks of using it outweighed potential benefits because of the lack of randomized, double-blinded studies. He decided to check it out on his own, and what he discovered stunned him. Unlike you, when he saw child after child racked with dozens of seizures daily helped immensely right in front of his eyes by cannabis, he promptly changed his mind. He now sees how the plant has been unfairly demonized and millions harmed by prohibition. It is all right there in the CNN documentary for you to learn from. But I know you won't bother.

So you continue to push alcohol and demonize pot. Just know that most of us that live in the real world are reading your words, shaking our collective heads, and losing respect for you every time you post.

Just as an aside, I would like you to know that I would be a raging alcoholic, just like my brother, if not for cannabis. Both of our parents were alcoholics, meaning I had a 90% chance of being one myself. I have successfully used cannabis in place of alcohol for over 40 years now, my brother has not. If you examined both of us, health-wise there is no comparison. If that is not a success story, nothing is. I broke a generations long cycle of alcoholism in my family, and to this day my daughter does not drink. HUGE VICTORY. Treatment of alcoholism could stand by itself for a medical use of pot. But you don't care, you have an agenda and a one-track mind.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Stymie13.

Respond if you must, but as I indicated earlier, I have already wasted too much time on you by typing this post. I do not relish discussing this topic with brick walls, so I will not respond.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
Doctors treat people like cattle.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I told myself days ago that I was not going to respond to any of your posts because you are so blind and deluded that you don't deserve any of my time. But doctor or not, YOU ARE BLIND.

Even if your statement "I have not found ONE SINGLE, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE BLINDED, PROSPECTIVE STUDY WITH VALID STATISTICS TO VERIFY A "MEDICAL" USE FOR POT" were true, all you have to do is open your eyes. Millions are helped by using it EVERY SINGLE DAY, and the evidence is obvious. Glaucoma and nausea due to chemotherapy are two of the most obvious examples.

What you are saying is that since no double blind studies that meets all of your criteria exists on marijuana's effect on nausea, then there is no benefit. Even if you saw 1000 patients gain weight and health by using it right in front of your eyes, you would still tout that it has no medical benefit. Pathetic.

I know you will not do this, but please watch the "Weed" series on CNN by Dr. Sanjay Gupta. He was in your camp, certain that the risks of using it outweighed potential benefits because of the lack of randomized, double-blinded studies. He decided to check it out on his own, and what he discovered stunned him. Unlike you, when he saw child after child racked with dozens of seizures daily helped immensely right in front of his eyes by cannabis, he promptly changed his mind. He now sees how the plant has been unfairly demonized and millions harmed by prohibition. It is all right there in the CNN documentary for you to learn from. But I know you won't bother.

So you continue to push alcohol and demonize pot. Just know that most of us that live in the real world are reading your words, shaking our collective heads, and losing respect for you every time you post.

Just as an aside, I would like you to know that I would be a raging alcoholic, just like my brother, if not for cannabis. Both of our parents were alcoholics, meaning I had a 90% chance of being one myself. I have successfully used cannabis in place of alcohol for over 40 years now, my brother has not. If you examined both of us, health-wise there is no comparison. If that is not a success story, nothing is. I broke a generations long cycle of alcoholism in my family, and to this day my daughter does not drink. HUGE VICTORY. Treatment of alcoholism could stand by itself for a medical use of pot. But you don't care, you have an agenda and a one-track mind.

Respond if you must, but as I indicated earlier, I have already wasted too much time on you by typing this post. I do not relish discussing this topic with brick walls, so I will not respond.
The community I refer to is a certain program. Unlike... I applaud you for breaking your cycle. I didn't come up with MRT... I just found it humorous when someone in the field told me about it.

As far as agendas... There is obviously one in the posts. The same with open and closed mindedness... Why people take such offense to others experiences is beyond me. I am glad you mentioned pipes, however, as during my long period of use, high end, double blown pipes was my preferred, primary means, of use. Lol

Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:

For the millionth time-

1. I do not support alcohol use in excess.

2. There ARE some confirmed medical benefits and uses for alcohol, but not pot. \

3. There is not one good study showing medical benefit of pot- that is a simple fact which you cannot understand, as you have no training in determining what constitutes a valid study.

4. If you want to smoke weed- go ahead- I do not care.

5. Addiction obviously is rampant in your family- I would not "celebrate" your pot use, as it is an addiction like any other addiction.

6. case reports do not constitute valid medical studies. There is a saying in medicine- "One half-assed observation/anecdote of my own is worth ten randomized, prospective studies in the literature".

7. There is a reason that medical school is four years, most residencies four years, and post residency fellowships available. Through your ignorance, you have validated the importance of formal training.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:36 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Yeah. I'm done with this thread. Any nuanced conversation goes right over their heads. Waste of time.

Says the weed head!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Says the weed head!

^^^^ Perfect example.

You can't discuss this in the presence of such profound ignorance, especially since the brainwashing has been so through and complete it has resulted in 100% close-mindedness.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:46 AM

269 posts, read 178,327 times
Quote:
I have used it daily for 40+ years, and if you could meet me and see my accomplishments during that time, you would know that I in no way resemble worthless. You are incorrect.[/b]
You would have accomplished more had you not abused drugs the last 40 years. One of my best friends is a successful contractor, but I can assure you that he would be even more successful if he didn't drink a 6 pack every night. Like you, he's not running at 100%. Most people that abuse drugs and alcohol are losers, and the ones that are not have still cheated themselves of their full potential. To say otherwise is absolute malarkey.

Quote:
You are correct on this point, tolerances do indeed vary greatly. In cases where testing is needed, impairment tests are the way to go, not blood THC levels.
[/b]
Impairment tests are BS. You can get one person that's wasted that can sill pass them while you get another that can't even pass one sober. There is simply no way to test marijuana impairment effectively.

Quote:
Then explain how I never even had any desire at all to try hard drugs? While you are at it, please explain why evey long-term user I know also never "gatewayed". There are millions of other similar examples. You are incorrect.[/b]
Look at the studies. This is old news. Your anecdotal evidence means nothing regardless of the fact that it makes you feel better about your drug addiction.

Quote:
That is a BIG stretch -- attract deadbeats from other countries. That is laughable, and a perfect example of grasping at straws. I have news for you. The reason it is illegal across most of the western world is because of treaty agreements and pressure from the US. Once the US legalizes, so will most of the rest of the world. You are incorrect.[/b]
I'm guessing that you've never been to Amsterdam. There is a reason for all the new anti-marijuana laws that are currently getting passed there. People are tire of all the ****heads that come there for the pot culture.

Quote:
I have more news for you. You are around these "potheads" every day and you don't even know it. They are your coworkers, friends, professionals, and bosses. The reason you don't know it is because they are neither annoying nor high maintenance, and they number in the millions. You are incorrect.
[/b]
I smoke pot. Sometimes I even smoke pot with people I work with. I'm just not a drug addict. And, yes potheads are high maintenance and annoying just like any other drug addicts. This is because they can't do anything without being high. If you put them in a situation where they don't have access to getting high for more than a few hours, they turn into huge butt-heads just like any addict. I was married to a pothead for 11 years.

The thing is that the majority of people that smoke pot, habitually smoke it. This is because it's REALLY easy to do. As I said before, I'm all about legalization because I'm all about personal freedoms. However, just like alcohol, tobacco or any other drug. Pot brings more negatives to society than positives. You are a drug addict that is in denial. You are the reason people have a problem with pot. When people like yourself can come to terms with their drug addiction, non-smokers will respect you and your habit more. Nobody likes listening to B.S.

Say what you mean.......Mean what you say..........cut the crap

Last edited by Talkinhead; 02-02-2016 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
You would have accomplished more had you not abused drugs the last 40 years. One of my best friends is a successful contractor, but I can assure you that he would be even more successful if he didn't drink a 6 pack every night. Like you, he's not running at 100%. Most people that abuse drugs and alcohol are losers, and the ones that are not have still cheated themselves of their full potential. To say otherwise is absolute malarkey.

Oh really? There are many many professionals that are more successful than you or I ever dreamed of that use it daily. You really should research it more before you call malarkey.

You are probably caught up in painting people with your broad-brush stereotype because all you know about is street weed, or maybe you actually prefer the type of "couch lock" results that some strains (including street weed) gives you. Well, I am here to inform you pal, that many strains are uplifting, motivating, energizing, and creativity inducing. To deny that means you are uninformed and simply don't care to learn. I can guarantee you with 100% certainly that much of your favorite music was composed or performed with the aid of cannabis. Please try to expand your world to include more than just the crappy people you have associated with that are annoying and high maintenance.

Quote:
Look at the studies. This is old news. Your anecdotal evidence means nothing regardless of the fact that it makes you feel better about your drug addiction.
Bull. There literally are millions of us long-term users that never went on to hard drugs. Millions. To deny that again means that you are more out of touch than you realize. All of us, including yourself and the most hard drug addicted user that ever existed, drank milk before moving on to hard drugs. To claim that all hard drug users have cannabis in their past is no more telling than saying they all drank milk in their past. Wake up and use some logic.

Quote:
I'm guessing that you've never been to Amsterdam. There is a reason for all the new anti-marijuana laws that are currently getting passed there. People are tire of all the ****heads that come there for the pot culture.
As a matter of fact, I have been to Amsterdam. I found an open culture that are very smart and tolerant. Yes, there have been changes recently, meant to curb the pot tourism, but they are not trying to remove it from their culture, far from it. The problems you are referring to will subside as soon as there is no need to flock to particular countries (or states) in order to enjoy legal cannabis. You will see that here in the states once it is legal in the majority of states.
Quote:
I was married to a pothead for 11 years.
Oh! The light bulb comes on! Now I understand your jaded viewpoint. Thanks for clearing that up.
Quote:

The thing is that the majority of people that smoke pot, habitually smoke it. This is because it's REALLY easy to do. As I said before, I'm all about legalization because I'm all about personal freedoms. However, just like alcohol, tobacco or any other drug. Pot brings more negatives to society than positives. You are a drug addict that is in denial. You are the reason people have a problem with pot. When people like yourself can come to terms with their drug addiction, non-smokers will respect you and your habit more. Nobody likes listening to B.S.
Wow, you need to get a clue. Really. If we were co-workers and had never discussed the subject, I assure you there would be NO WAY you would know about my usage. NO WAY. I am a VERY productive member of society, routinely engineer complex electronic equipment, pay my taxes, and write computer code. And I am the reason people have a problem with pot? Give me a break, lol!!! It is your personal bias and ultrasensitivity to users (and abusers) that people have the problem with.
Quote:
.....cut the crap
Good idea. Stop trying to judge people you have never met from 1000 miles away based on your limited and jaded view of cannabis and its effects on humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies