Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 07:12 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times

Advertisements

The farmers want their EU funds too: Farmers' leader seeks government subsidy 'equal to support given by European Union'

And the movie/tv industry: https://www.facebook.com/allesegrett...09687378645175

Old 06-26-2016, 07:14 PM

57,330 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I'll say once again....... Nigel Farage is not an MP. He is leader of the UKIP party, which has 1 MP out of 650. He has no influence on government policy. His mission in life was to make the vote to leave the EU come about. For that, we are grateful.
Grateful for influencing voters based on false information?

Old 06-26-2016, 07:23 PM

57,330 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I recognize the similarities with the American situation. Our leaders seem hell bent on destruction of the ordinary working class folks. We have been cowed for decades by our so called leaders.

To us, it doesn't make any sense. Why do we get the same old spiel........ to be told how lucky we are to have 'diversity' and the benefits of 'multiculturalism.' Well, I've watched my country change till its unrecognizable from my youth. I don't see the benefits, and neither do millions of my countrymen. All we see are parallel societies. Previous immigrants from the 60s and 70s still have little to do with the white English people, and seem to quietly despise us.

In recent years we have had an influx of immigrants from eastern Europe. Out of a total of 85,000 in our jails, 11,000 are foreigners. Most immigrants are hard working folks, but we also get some real hard core criminals, and we can't even seem to deport many of them when their sentences are completed.

All we want is to regain control of our borders, and of course recognizing that we need educated immigrants in some cases. But we don't need unemployable people coming here, and Europe's criminals, like gangs of pickpockets.

We finally get a vote, and our leaders seem to be plotting to find a way to overturn the result. There is growing anger, and god help those politicians in London if they don't accept the will of the majority of the voting public.

Poland tops league for foreign inmates in UK jails ahead of Ireland and Jamaica | Daily Mail Online

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/anti...ice-london-045
What do you expect will change with the working class when GB goes out of the EU, will they now attain those jobs that they desired in the more rural areas.

There were problems with the EU but the solution to entirely back out of the system is a very drastic step, I haven't heard exactly what they plan to accomplish other than shutting down immigration.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:06 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
And let's hope those elites on both sides of the Atlantic are successful...
said the useful idiot.......

CN

Old 06-26-2016, 08:09 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times
Major fallout from London's financial district: EU plans moving bank regulator from London as euro zone eyes City business | Reuters

This is bad. This would be like Wall Street relocating to Canada.

Other European capitals are keen for a slice of Britain's financial services industry which contributed 190 billion pounds ($280 billion) to the economy in 2014, roughly 12 percent of economic output. Ireland said on Friday it had been in touch with firms considering relocating.

Losing 12% of your economy is a really bad thing. But how could banks do business in the EU if they aren't located in the EU? It makes no sense for them to stay in London.

And here's a good editorial: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...lory-1-7983439

Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,976,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
In true fashion of all the adjectives you left out :"The uncomfortable question: Was the Brexit vote based on racism ?
That's not what this thread is about but since you asked...

I don't enough about the UK and its people to figure out what motivated their votes. I don't like to form opinions about people I know little about. I know they are getting a lot of immigrants but I don't know how it affects them. I don't know exactly what each party was promising, what language they used and how informed the voters were. I guess I know as much as Donald Trump knows Trump not long ago didn't even know what Brexit was or he thought Scotland voted to get out of the European Union. The only way of knowing would be if I actually lived there or maybe if I watched their media which I don't and won't because I honestly don't have the time for that. They voted to get out and that's all I care.

I think though that the will of the voters should be respected. I do think the markets will continue falling but I also think the markets needed a correction. I also think the UK is very wealthy and powerful and the UK not gonna fall apart whether they leave or stay in the union.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:52 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
2.5 million votes doesn't make a even a small tremor? I would think that it does even at the very least.

Petition to hold second EU referendum reaches 2.5m signatures | Politics | The Guardian

Old 06-26-2016, 09:09 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Democrats use the word "folks" when they want something.
Correct- otherwise they despise "folks".

Old 06-26-2016, 09:16 PM

35,098 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
My niece, an English Jr. Doctor, is working on a researchy job in Scandinavia. She could well be forced back home in a year or so and has to consider whether to try and ride this out or return to England.
If she's a desirable addition to a Scandinavian country why can't she apply for local citizenship on her merits? These countries are accepting rapists who pray five times a day and who have no qualifications. Why does she need a super-bureaucracy to ensure her future?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:18 PM

35,098 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Scotland is a separate country from England and Scotland voted to remain in the EU. They would have to withdraw from the United Kingdom and petition to be part of the EU to remain.

There's nothing crazy about that except for the fact that Scotland has been part of the United Kingdom for 300 years.
Wouldn't Britain want some recompense for its capital improvements and subsidies to Scotland? And would the EU sugar daddy6 be as sweet for Scotland as is the UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies