Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 04:05 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am no law expert but I would think so. All those bishops, who covered up for the priests, should be charged. What bothers me most about this is that they all worked together to cover-up, relocate, and deny.
It's a sick world when priests use religion to rape children.. they are not of God. They are wolves in sheeps clothing. And many cover for them which is sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 04:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I haven't kept up with some of this, anyone know if this has been mainly a problem in the US or has it occurred throughout the Catholic world? I just wonder if our belief in separation of church and state has resulted in a (misguided IMO) reticence of the state to prosecute these criminals?
The abuse took place all over the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...ses_by_country

Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Better question: Why aren't Bishops who moved them around in jail under RICO, as this was a conspiracy that rose to the highest levels?

Bernie Law who hid dozens in Boston got PROMOTED to the Vatican. Egan who was front and center part of Bridgeport, Ct coverup was promoted over the Archdiocese of NYC.
Excellent point! Law should be extradited back to the US to face charges.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
All I get is a blank area where the response is. However, I can't imagine any defense for sexually abusing children and covering it up.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:25 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It wasn't common. Probably no higher a rate than teachers.
Not that I've done research, but I doubt that.

Stories of priests or other clergymen molesting children are much more common, and always involve boys. Never one time have I heard a dissimilar story about them. Why has no priest ever molested a nun or some more "normal" crime?

Alegations against teachers are more diverse, and less common.

Clergymen have a specific pattern that they all seem to follow. What's going on?

Old 02-29-2016, 04:41 PM

Statistics like this makes my head spin!

Quote:
6% of the 4,392 clergy against whom allegations were made (252 priests in total or <0.25% of all clerics ) were convicted and about 2% of the 4,392 accused priests (100 clerics or <0.1% of all clerics) received prison sentences.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jay_Report

Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post

Stories of priests or other clergymen molesting children are much more common, and always involve boys. Never one time have I heard a dissimilar story about them. Why has no priest ever molested a nun or some more "normal" crime?

Clergymen have a specific pattern that they all seem to follow. What's going on?

I think child molestatiion is most predominant in the Catholic Church because of the unnatural edict that priests must be celibate.

The easiest way to have sex on the down low is to use children.....they are much easier to intimidate into silence than another adult, which would include nuns of course.

Boys more than girls is just a matter of access. Priests have more access to boys than girls.....altar boys.

JMO

Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,925 times
Quote:
How on earth did this disturbing phenomenon become so common among catholic priests in the first place? Is it cultural?

When I hear these stories that curiosity always lingers in the back of my mind.
Quote:

Stories of priests or other clergymen molesting children are much more common, and always involve boys. Never one time have I heard a dissimilar story about them. Why has no priest ever molested a nun or some more "normal" crime.

You really need to do that research:

Quote:
Sexual abuse of minors is not the province of the Catholic Church alone. About 4 percent of priests committed an act of sexual abuse on a minor between 1950 and 2002, according to a study being conducted by John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. That is roughly consistent with data on many similar professions.
Please continue that research here

A Perspective on Clergy Sexual Abuse] Another perspective]And here where Thomas Plante, Ph.D., ABPP, Department of Psychology, Santa Clara University says:

Quote:
Therefore, the odds that any random Catholic priest would sexually abuse a minor are not likely to be significantly higher than other males in or out of the clergy. Of course we expect better behavior from priests than from the average man on the street.
One of the things that I take away from reading the multitude of articles and papers on this topic is that it seems as though the media have done their jobs in regards with the Catholic priests' abuses and yet have been almost willfully negligent about abuses at the hands of other professionals.

There have been countless studies done, articles and papers written about this subject by biased and unbiased sources. It never pays to put all your eggs in one basket. As in all things, one must research everywhere not just the sources with one agrees.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:31 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Exactly and I once was raised CATHOLIC. I think it is a utter disgrace, how the CATHOLIC CHURCH, covered up the abuse for as long as they did.
What part of that, was good and righteous. Any one who sexually exploits or abuses a child, ought to be in jail and I do not care who they are or what they stand for PERIOD.

And the fact, that the higher ups in the Catholic Church for such a long time covered up these abuses, is disgusting.

No excuse for the cover ups at all, and these Priest's and any other person in whatever profession they are in, are disgusting creatures, that should be punished to the full extent of the law.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:34 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,070,199 times
its called time-- and distance- perfect for cover up- The statue of limitations needs to be changed-- if you got raped as a 10 yr old you have 4 -5 years maybe to summit a complaint- but if you don't pay your bills the same time applies-- except your branded for 7 yrs by a credit bureau - go figure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies