Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,600 times

Advertisements

Some of the victims also do not realize/believe they are victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:41 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Some of the victims also do not realize/believe they are victims.

can you please explain?

thank you!

Old 03-02-2016, 11:53 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
This not the only immoral thing that church has done. During WW2 they turned Jews into the Germans. In the late 70s/early 80s, they backed the Argentine regime that slaughtered thousands, many for not being Catholic.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:54 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not unusual for that time, though. 1962 is not 2016. Child molestation was not publicly discussed or acknowledged back then.

Around 1970 or 71, a boy (about 12) i went to school with was molested by a guy on the town ambulance corps. The boy was in a program for kids to learn about volunteering with the corps. He told his priest, who called the cops. They made the molester leave town. My friend was sent to a psychologist for a little while and told to put it behind him. It was not made public.

The story came out 25 years later when the same guy was arrested for child molestation, only now the world had changed and reporting and prosecution was demanded. My friend, now an adult, went public with his experience and how it had affected him.
soooo I am meant to believe, that a religion that references what is right/wrong from a book written 2000 years ago.... couldn't distinguish the right/wrong 30-40 years ago. A convenient excuse, but I don't think so...

I can understand a family not knowing how to handle it, but a church who should protect children...decide to ignore it, and move on the offender, to offend other kids? nope.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,504,702 times
In the 70s the psychologists who the priests went to for therapy told people they were cured. That was the 70s and 80s now they say it can't be cured, just keep them away from abusing others.

When my son was in high school in the 90s he had a drama teacher who had abused but he was still hired at his high school. He abused again, not my son, thank God, but he was arrested and went to jail. I don't know where he is now. I am sure he is on the sexual predator list though.

I can't blame people where told by experts in the field one thing back then and a different thing now. Seems many are judged by different standards from then to today. People just know better now. Therapy and knowledge has advanced.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:23 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
soooo I am meant to believe, that a religion that references what is right/wrong from a book written 2000 years ago.... couldn't distinguish the right/wrong 30-40 years ago. A convenient excuse, but I don't think so...

I can understand a family not knowing how to handle it, but a church who should protect children...decide to ignore it, and move on the offender, to offend other kids? nope.
I don't know how you got that thought from my post. What does right from wrong have to do with it? It was all about a) self-preservation from scandal, and b) no organization, legal or religious, was standing up for abused children until maybe 25 years ago. It was swept under the rug and not mentioned. Children had no voice.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Oh, where I am, they chose to do something - ignore the children and move the priests on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCDYFgOFpog

Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times
When the students at Penn State found out what the ex-coach had been doing with boys over an extended period of time - they supported the coach!

Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
The Catholic church isn't the only religious institution that covers up sex abuse scandals, and if you think it is? I've got a bridge to sell you - real cheap.

Quote:
The child sex abuse crisis in ultra-Orthodox Judaism, like that in the Catholic Church, has produced its share of shocking headlines in recent years. In New York, and in the prominent Orthodox communities of Israel and London, allegations of child molestation and rape have been rampant. The alleged abusers are schoolteachers, rabbis, fathers, uncles—figures of male authority. The victims, like those of Catholic priests, are mostly boys. Rabbi Rosenberg believes around half of young males in Brooklyn’s Hasidic community—the largest in the United States and one of the largest in the world—have been victims of sexual assault perpetrated by their elders. Ben Hirsch, director of Survivors for Justice, a Brooklyn organization that advocates for Orthodox sex abuse victims, thinks the real number is higher. “From anecdotal evidence, we’re looking at over 50 percent. It has almost become a rite of passage.”
The Child-Rape Assembly Line | VICE | United States

Quote:
Prosecutors said the family of the boy, who was 12 at the time of the abuse, was ostracized by the community for pursuing the case in state court instead of letting religious leaders deal with it. The boy's father, a prominent rabbi, lost his job and the family moved to Michigan.
Former Lakewood yeshiva teacher sentenced to nearly 13 years for sexually assaulting boy | NJ.com

The Jewish Press » » Rabbi’s Heartfelt Apology for Attacking Man Who Turned in Kolko

More Revealtions Regarding Israeli Rabbis Accused of Sexual Abuse - Sisterhood

https://shariaunveiled.wordpress.com...quran-studies/

Imam Abufarah arrested, charged with molesting teen at American Muslim Youth Leadership Council in Kissimmee - Orlando Sentinel

And that is just the tip of the iceberg from very "closed" religious societies who live in fear of being ex-communicated if they report the abuse to the authorities...so they report to the "elders" or "higher-ups" and they "take care of it".

You should watch the first season of "Arranged" on FYI (I didn't mean to, was bored). Those gypsies should be put in jail for their "culture" of forcing "the gypsy cultural marriage" on teenagers and expecting the girl to be a slave and produce babies ASAP with a boy they don't even know.

But it's their culture, and therefore, accepted.

I wonder how many Gypsy girls are raped by their FILs and abused by their "husbands" and MILs...and goes unreported.

If abuse by all religious/cultural figures with "power" and the cover-ups that take place within the religion/culture at a higher level is your TRUE concern?

You've got your work cut out for you.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:39 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
When the students at Penn State found out what the ex-coach had been doing with boys over an extended period of time - they supported the coach!
No they didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies