Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
You really need to do that research:

Please continue that research here

A Perspective on Clergy Sexual Abuse] Another perspective]And here where Thomas Plante, Ph.D., ABPP, Department of Psychology, Santa Clara University says:

One of the things that I take away from reading the multitude of articles and papers on this topic is that it seems as though the media have done their jobs in regards with the Catholic priests' abuses and yet have been almost willfully negligent about abuses at the hands of other professionals.

There have been countless studies done, articles and papers written about this subject by biased and unbiased sources. It never pays to put all your eggs in one basket. As in all things, one must research everywhere not just the sources with one agrees.

I suspect the number of priests who sexually abused children are much higher than known. Therefore, I don't believe accurate statistics exist. The reasons for not knowing the extent of this problem are:

1) No one wanted to accept that a priest would prey on children thus denial was rampant.
2)The bishops covered up by paying off families contingent on complying with a gag order.
3)When a priest was suspected, the bishop quickly relocated the priest.
4)Priests had exceptional, and ongoing opportunity, to abuse children, i.e. unquestioning trust, access to children.
5)Secrecy of abuse is an integral component. Thus many priests would not admit to such and the abused feel too much shame to come forward.

Can you think of any other professions that would protect, cover-up, and relocate the professionals who sexually abused children?
Quote:

church and family members had been informed about the abuse two years earlier, but failed to report the crime to the police. Instead, they decided that the best response was to simply pray for the offender and hope for the best. Tragically, this response to child sexual abuse by those within the church is not uncommon. Equally as tragic is that such responses fuel perpetrators to continue destroying the bodies and souls of untold numbers of children
. - See more at: http://boz.religionnews.com/2014/01/....HSuqIuru.dpuf

Last edited by jojajn; 02-29-2016 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:36 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Exactly and I once was raised CATHOLIC.
Ditto. I went to a Catholic grammar school, high school, and college last 2 years, and have stepped in a RCC church for the last time.

This scandal is unforgiveable.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:43 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Can you think of any other professions that would protect, cover-up, and relocate the professionals who sexually abused children?
Nope. Definately not teachers.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 PM

The cover up of sexual abuse committed by priests was actually a Vatican decree!

Crimen sollicitationis - RationalWiki

http://www.awrsipe.com/Doyle/2008/20...0documents.pdf

Old 02-29-2016, 06:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
The movie, "Spotlight," which won the best picture award, brought my attention to the extent of this abuse. I am guessing the numbers we know of, are just the tip of the iceberg! My question is: why were these priest not reported to the law and charged???

-
Vatican reveals how many priests defrocked for sex abuse since 2004 - CBS News
Def some real good questions, there; and NOT just dirty Catholic priests either.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:30 PM

The Catholic decree, updated in 1962, if I understand it correctly, actually orders relocation of priests known to have committed sexual abuse, to another region!

Quote:
68. If a priest convicted of the crime of solicitation, or even merely admonished, should transfer his residence to another territory, the Ordinary a quo should immediately warn the Ordinary ad quem of the priest's record and his legal status.

69. If a priest who has been suspended in a cause of solicitation from hearing sacramental confessions, but not from sacred preaching, should go to another territory to preach, the Ordinary of that territory should be informed by his Superior, whether secular or religious, that he cannot be employed for the hearing of sacramental confessions.

70. All these official communications shall always be made under the secret of the Holy Office; and, since they are of the utmost importance for the common good of the Church, the precept to make them is binding under pain of grave [sin].
Instruction on the Manner of Proceeding in Causes involving the Crime of Solicitation

Old 02-29-2016, 06:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Not that I've done research, but I doubt that.

Stories of priests or other clergymen molesting children are much more common, and always involve boys. Never one time have I heard a dissimilar story about them. Why has no priest ever molested a nun or some more "normal" crime?

Alegations against teachers are more diverse, and less common.

Clergymen have a specific pattern that they all seem to follow. What's going on?
Diversity is irrelevant.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Better question: Why aren't Bishops who moved them around in jail under RICO, as this was a conspiracy that rose to the highest levels?

Bernie Law who hid dozens in Boston got PROMOTED to the Vatican. Egan who was front and center part of Bridgeport, Ct coverup was promoted over the Archdiocese of NYC.
I found this concerning the catholic sex abuse scandal and RICO.

Catholic sex abuse cases
Quote:
In some jurisdictions, RICO suits have been filed against Catholic dioceses, using anti-racketeering laws to prosecute the highers-up in the episcopacy for abuses committed by those under their authority. A Cleveland grand jury cleared two bishops of racketeering charges, finding that their mishandling of sex abuse claims did not amount to criminal racketeering. Certain lawyers and abuse advocates[who?] have openly wondered why a similar suit was not filed against archbishop Bernard Law prior to his getting reassigned to Vatican City.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racket...ex_abuse_cases

Quote:
Why haven't criminal charges been filed against him? What Law has done goes far beyond "not reporting" suspected child abusers. This was no crime of omission. It is now clear that Law affirmatively engaged in a pattern of shielding child rapists and recklessly allowing them unfettered access to yet more victims. A high-school principal or the CEO of any company in America would have been indicted months ago.
But why isn't Bernard Law in jail? (Part 2)

Old 02-29-2016, 08:32 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,428,220 times
Quote:
I suspect the number of priests who sexually abused children are much higher than known. Therefore, I don't believe accurate statistics exist. The reasons for not knowing the extent of this problem are:

1) No one wanted to accept that a priest would prey on children thus denial was rampant.
2)The bishops covered up by paying off families contingent on complying with a gag order.
3)When a priest was suspected, the bishop quickly relocated the priest.
4)Priests had exceptional, and ongoing opportunity, to abuse children, i.e. unquestioning trust, access to children.
5)Secrecy of abuse is an integral component. Thus many priests would not admit to such and the abused feel too much shame to come forward.

. - See more at: Startling Statistics: Child sexual abuse and what the church can begin doing about it - Rhymes with Religion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Nope. Definately not teachers.
Oh, definitely teachers.
Quote:
They include a lack of screening of teacher applicants, ignorance about the signs of sexual abuse, a traditional culture of silence in schools, administrators and teacher union officials who allow offenders to quietly resign and move to other schools, and the rise of modern communication devices that allow teachers much more personal access to students.
And here
Quote:
If so, why the silence? For one, teachers unions don’t want the truth to complicate contract talks and tarnish teachers’ carefully cultivated image with the public. Administrators say it’s almost impossible to fire a teacher.

For another, based on news coverage and opinion polls, the media believe public teachers are saints — and religion is bad. So while a church sex-abuse scandal gets covered, a school scandal gets covered up.

And here

Quote:
They include a lack of screening of teacher applicants, ignorance about the signs of sexual abuse, a traditional culture of silence in schools, administrators and teacher union officials who allow offenders to quietly resign and move to other schools, and the rise of modern communication devices that allow teachers much more personal access to students.
Here too
Quote:
Teachers do not report suspicions that a colleague is abusing a student out of fear of falsely accusing him/her and being sued
And this is just one profession that deals with children almost exclusively.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:47 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
All I get is a blank area where the response is. However, I can't imagine any defense for sexually abusing children and covering it up.
You need to click on LISTEN. It's a podcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies