Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 11:51 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times

Advertisements

Wow, lots of schadenfreude going on here.

Yes, going to North Korea was a bad idea, goofing around in there is an even worse idea, and no, he can't expect the US to come swooping in to save him. But it's still an unfortunate situation all around. Especially since not only did the traveller get arrested, his guide likely was as well (guides can and have been punished just as harshly if not worse than the transgressors themselves, for failing to keep them in line).

This kid probably googled 'is North Korea safe', and got websites like this, telling him that foreigners are safe:

Is North Korea safe? » Is North Korea safe?

Many other sites irresponsibly say pretty much the same thing.

The lesson anyone considering going there should learn is to take safety assessments only from government travel safety sites. They tend to err on the side of caution in my experience, but so too should we.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 03-17-2016 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Best to just stay in your own house with the doors locked 24/7?
Is that the only alternative?

Old 03-17-2016, 01:06 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Most of you seem to be so happy that this kid got what he deserved. But he is a kid don't forget. And what if he was your kid. Would you be this happy. Most of us, if not all did really stupid things at his age
I agree with you. I am actually astounded by some of the people on this thread.

I totally agree with everyone who said that Americans (or just about any foreigners) should not be traveling to North Korea. As some people noted, they can be arrested for trivial reasons (like this kid stealing a poster) and be used as political pawns. There should be at least some kind of fine.

But this college student is just 21 years old. Did some of the posters here actually forget what is like to be 21? I work with college students and I am continually surprised about their latest juvenile adventures they tell me, especially the boys. While many college students are mature for their age, most kids in their late teens and early 20s are concerned about having fun and living in the here and now. They certainly do not think like mature adults.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:25 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

I totally agree with everyone who said that Americans (or just about any foreigners) should not be traveling to North Korea. As some people noted, they can be arrested for trivial reasons (like this kid stealing a poster) and be used as political pawns. There should be at least some kind of fine.

But this college student is just 21 years old. Did some of the posters here actually forget what is like to be 21? I work with college students and I am continually surprised about their latest juvenile adventures they tell me, especially the boys. While many college students are mature for their age, most kids in their late teens and early 20s are concerned about having fun and living in the here and now. They certainly do not think like mature adults.
I never stole anything from the different country that I lived in from 18-21. I learned about their customs, their rules, their laws, and I made sure that I did not break them. I had respect for that country and the people who lived in it.

By 21 years of age, you know better than to steal things.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:21 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He's lucky they didn't chop off his hands.
Make it even harder for him to work in the salt mines.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:32 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
What the hell was he doing there, anyway?

Old 03-17-2016, 04:34 AM

They have lots of torture for labor camp prisoners in North Korea.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Yeah, and no doubt his commie professors told him it would be a GREAT idea for him to go to North Korea.

I dunno -- at age fourteen I was able to see through the liberal/left/commie b.s.

I'm just finding it very hard to be sympathetic....

And believe me, even fifty years ago, they were shoving that commie stuff down our throats.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why not? We're holding men in Guantanamo without a trial until the end of time and they committed no crime at all that we can prove.

By that standard, North Korea has done nothing wrong.
Yes, and those "poor Muslims" in Gitmo cost us about $10 million a year each.

I guess giving them Korans, prayer rugs and other goodies is expensive.

I don't notice them turning big rocks into small rocks.

Their guards don't appear to be walking around flourishing leather whips and thinking up interesting ways to execute them.

In fact, one of those "innocents" just wrote a "book" that I saw reviewed (slavishly) in the New York Review of Books.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Americans shouldn't be visiting North Korea...
Ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies