Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Just curious. How come mofford hasn't come back to defend his position?
Well, I chose to post it because there have not been very many large studies done on this subject. The Family Research Counsil website is just parroting the study done by Mark Regnerus, an associate professor of sociology at The University of Texas at Austin, making it available for free public view. It was the largest study done on this subject to date, with almost 1 million in funding. Most studies done before had a very small pool of subjects, gays adopting children are not all that common, it's difficult to find a large pool to study. Given that this is a larger study, that it was done not all that long ago in 2012, I tend to give it some weight. More studies will surely be done in the future, when there are larger numbers of gays with adopted children to study.

I would tend to think this study may have some merit, many gays tend to live in urban inner city areas where kids may have a harder time growing up. Gays are often involved in transitory relationships and new partners drift in and out of their lives (this could leave kids more vulnerable to abuse), in fact, the gay parent may often be just a single parent household for much of the child's upbringing, and single parent households are worse for kids. I'm not so sure lesbian couples would always have higher income as gay males are sometimes noted for having. The study points out many lesbians are on welfare, and it stands to reason they would have the same problems single parent women would have with lower income/poverty. Gay males with multiple partners may very well open the door for abuse of their children that would not be as common with hetero couples, whom tend to be more monogamous in relationships.

Oh, and the poster that says the other kids will give them a hard time for having gay parents, I believe this to be true and a valid reason against gays adopting kids. How is that going to play out with the kid playing sports and the 2 moms or 2 dads are cheering on the kid in the stands, trying to play it off as normal parents. The kid would have some fighting to do in the locker room, you could bet on that one. Kids are very cruel.

Last edited by mofford; 04-03-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 08:31 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

Oh, and the poster that says the other kids will give them a hard time for having gay parents, I believe this to be true and a valid reason against gays adopting kids. How is that going to play out with the kid playing sports and the 2 moms or 2 dads are cheering on the kid in the stands, trying to play it off as normal parents. The kid would have some fighting to do in the locker room, you could bet on that one. Kids are very cruel.
They are normal parents. I've had kids with gay parents in my classroom every year for over a decade. For the vast majority of their peers, it isn't an issue. Don't project your own prejudices on others and claim to speak for them.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
As long as they are the absolute last resort for a child.
How generous of you.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
The Family Research Counsil
Ahhh yes.......The Family Research Council. The far-right group of religious extremists who employed that paragon of virtue and Christian values Josh Duggar as their anti-LGBTQ spokesman.

His last public appearance for the FRC.....(before they dropped him and he disappeared into whichever 'rehab' his anti-LGBTQ parents figured could keep him hidden so he wouldn't harm their brand any further)..... involved standing on the steps of the U.S Capitol addressing a group of people who were holding signs that would have made Fred Phelps a happy man.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-03-2016 at 09:11 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Well, I chose to post it because there have not been very many large studies done on this subject. The Family Research Counsil website is just parroting the study done by Mark Regnerus, an associate professor of sociology at The University of Texas at Austin, making it available for free public view. It was the largest study done on this subject to date, with almost 1 million in funding. Most studies done before had a very small pool of subjects, gays adopting children are not all that common, it's difficult to find a large pool to study. Given that this is a larger study, that it was done not all that long ago in 2012, I tend to give it some weight. More studies will surely be done in the future, when there are larger numbers of gays with adopted children to study.

I would tend to think this study may have some merit, many gays tend to live in urban inner city areas where kids may have a harder time growing up. Gays are often involved in transitory relationships and new partners drift in and out of their lives (this could leave kids more vulnerable to abuse), in fact, the gay parent may often be just a single parent household for much of the child's upbringing, and single parent households are worse for kids. I'm not so sure lesbian couples would always have higher income as gay males are sometimes noted for having. The study points out many lesbians are on welfare, and it stands to reason they would have the same problems single parent women would have with lower income/poverty. Gay males with multiple partners may very well open the door for abuse of their children that would not be as common with hetero couples, whom tend to be more monogamous in relationships.

Why don't you meet some different families so your fears can rest.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:44 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I would not want gay parents. Think about what other kids say in school.
Wonder where/who those 'other kids' picked up that attitude from?

Old 04-04-2016, 04:05 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:

Seriously? So you didn't bother to read the link I provided about the Regnerus 'study'? Or find out anything about it other than what the FRC website claimed? Or even read it yourself? Or find out about the criteria and methodology? Sheesh, even Wikipedia discussed the flaws and controversy.

eg "Regnerus’ stated findings were incredibly misleading. Regnerus did not compare children raised by stably coupled same-sex parents with children raised by stably coupled opposite-sex parents. Remember, he only found two respondents who said they were raised by two lesbian parents for their entire childhoods"

There were hardly any gay and lesbian couple parents in the study at all and it compared apples with oranges. It was pure junkscience propaganda rushed through an improper 'peer-review process' and funded by a right-wing anti-gay group right in time for the 2012 elections.

Last edited by Ceist; 04-04-2016 at 04:25 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 04:11 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I would not want gay parents. Think about what other kids say in school.
These days other kids usually say something like 'Cool. Can I come over to your house?' or 'whatever'.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
I wish we could do a study of bullys in school or biased kids-- to show who the parents are and what they believe in-even party affiliation although sometimes dad n mom diff -- most kids just want to play or hang out

Old 04-04-2016, 05:36 AM

1,504 posts, read 852,029 times
The only problem I have with this is that some gay couples who are professionals have a lot of disposable income...which means they can hire hot shot lawyers who can get their way in a court of law. Which leaves poor straight people at a disadvantage and makes them vulnerable when it comes to aggressive child protection agencies. Maybe some of these sweet gay couples might put some of their resources into the support of poor struggling families....Instead of adopting a child....they should adopt a whole poor family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies