Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:41 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
North Carolina isnt a state with much to do anyways.. No loss..
You need to get out of Mommy's basement more!

Old 04-16-2016, 06:16 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nope, gender confusion can only be helped by mental therapy.

All I care to know about a uber minority that many seem focused on.
All you 'care to know', is incorrect.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:49 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
"settling a case" does not mean admitting wrong. It is simply expedient and less expensive to settle than to keep fighting it.

So, if the left thinks they won with a 'settlement' on anything, they are mislabeling it.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:53 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yet, just a handful of days ago he thought it was a good enough idea that he signed it into law?

What about the ban on cities/municipalities from passing their own anti-discrimination laws? This was political penis swinging/measuring at its worst, plain and simple.

Sorry, but this seems disingenuous, at best. I won't be voting for him in the next cycle.
It is an odd way to make new law.

Pass it first, then analyze and discuss it later.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:57 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It is an odd way to make new law.

Pass it first, then analyze and discuss it later.
Just like Obamacare. Pass it so we know what's in it.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I don't remember a gay marriage Constitutional amendment. Can you post a link?
Didn't need one.

First, a few states exercised their right to legalize SSM.

Second, Congress got upset and passed the federal DOMA, as did a number of states.

Third, legally married couples found that the feds wouldn't recognize their legal marriage and sued. SCOTUS agreed that it is up to the states to regulate marriage, and there was no compelling reason for Congress to pre-empt a state that allowed SSM, and therefore no compelling reason to treat legally married SSM couples differently when federal programs/laws are involved.

Fourth, legally married same-sex couples found they were not legally married in another state, and sued. SCOTUS agreed that it is a long-standing principle that while states may regulate marriage differently from each other, they must still recognize legal marriages from other states.

See? No constitutional changes needed.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:38 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Cirque du Soleil latest to cancel NC shows in protest of HB2 :: Out and About at WRAL.com

And now Cirque du Soleil is canceling their show from all 3 cities they were scheduled for in NC.
Quote:
"Cirque du Soleil strongly believes in diversity and equality for every individual and is opposed to discrimination in any form," the troupe said in a statement, calling the North Carolina law "an important regression to ensuring human rights for all."

Old 04-16-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Just like Obamacare. Pass it so we know what's in it.
Well, not quite. The NC bill was introduced during the last hours of the session, with little advance notice, and may have received about 3 hours of discussion (I can't find the exact number of hours, but since the entire process, from introduction to signing, took ten hours, three hours seems reasonable.)

The ACA discussion in Congress took weeks, and about 200 amendments were proposed during the course of that discussion. It had a very thorough airing.

So yeah, except for the fact that one is an apple and one an orange, the situations are very similar.

Last edited by jacqueg; 04-16-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 09:56 AM

30,384 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Yes, yes, I am sure you also think it is wrong for states to be forced to allow gay marriage as well.

Also, this law does nothing to prevent perverts from exposing themselves to others. Heck, a pervert can walk into a women's bathroom or locker room now and expose themselves to others. That person or W on the door doesn't actually stop someone from entering and exposing themselves.
I don't care if gays get married (and especially I don't care what sates that are not mine decide to do), I think it's good for the legal profession when they get divorced, so good for commerce.

This law will allow perverts to legally go into the W bathroom and ogle women...they could do it without the law, just not legally. My primary objection is to people that don't live in NC thinking what they believe has to be what a state they don't live in believes.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:44 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't care if gays get married (and especially I don't care what sates that are not mine decide to do), I think it's good for the legal profession when they get divorced, so good for commerce.

This law will allow perverts to legally go into the W bathroom and ogle women...they could do it without the law, just not legally. My primary objection is to people that don't live in NC thinking what they believe has to be what a state they don't live in believes.
Which law allows men to "ogle women" in the bathroom? Also, what woman is going to use a bathroom that has men ogling them? Also, it isn't going to be the transgender woman ogling other women, it is the straight male who can already enter a woman's bathroom if they choose to do so.

Also, you seemed to dodge my statement. Are you still upset that your state was forced to legalize gay marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies