Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 03:21 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Then what is the problem here.........seems to me someone is wanting to put the spotlight on the transgender as if they were never allowed to use a bathroom. Not sure this is really what transgenders were asking for, seems now they have more attention than they needed.
It's definitely going to set back the progress LGBTs have made as far as social acceptance and support, just like Obama set race relations back several decades.

I have NO idea why Obama seeks to destroy the progress in social evolution our country has made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 03:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
I don't care for Obama's "guidance." It essentially eliminates gendered bathrooms in schools.

Personally, I'm not worried about anyone who has actually changed his or her appearance using the restroom that matches the gender of his appearance. If he or she is that committed, go for it. I'm just not going to look that hard at the fella (or "fella") entering the men's room stall. What I don't know won't hurt me--folks that look like guys should go to the men's room, folks that look like gals should go to the ladies' room, IMO.

I do have a problem with people who aren't committed enough to change their appearance to match their feelings nevertheless claiming that they need to use the restroom that matches their feelings. Sorry, no, if they're not feeling it enough to change their all-day-long appearance, I don't buy that they're going to suffer psychological damage having to spend a few minutes in the restroom that matches their appearance rather than their feelings.

There were a couple of guys in my building at my last job--one who actually worked for me--who occasionally woke up feeling pretty and wore dresses. They didn't do anything else with their appearance. IMO, they needed to stick to the men's room. OTOH, there was also someone known to have transitioned in all ways from male to female...she used the women's room. I had no problem with that.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Me, too. And the same for my kids.

That's what showers look like in my school. Just spigots on the wall. No privacy at all.

My question is who is going to be held liable when students harass TG students in the bathrooms and showers? Do schools now need to post guards in the bathrooms and showers to insure they aren't harassed?

The government can mandate it all they want but I don't see students going along with it. I can just see the uproar that would be caused by the three TG girls to boys in my school showering in the boys locker room. They don't look like boys.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's what showers look like in my school. Just spigots on the wall. No privacy at all.

My question is who is going to be held liable when students harass TG students in the bathrooms and showers? Do schools now need to post guards in the bathrooms and showers to insure they aren't harassed?

The government can mandate it all they want but I don't see students going along with it. I can just see the uproar that would be caused by the three TG girls to boys in my school showering in the boys locker room. They don't look like boys.
As I've already posted, a PA state university expelled a FTM trans with a vagina for using men's multiple occupancy restroom/locker/shower room facilities on campus. Federal court upheld the expulsion for doing so in 2015:
Quote:
"This case arises from Plaintiff Seamus Johnston’s allegations that Defendants discriminated against him based on his sex and his transgender status(1) by prohibiting him from using sex-segregated locker rooms and restrooms that were designated for men. Although the parties have submitted lengthy briefs and have advanced numerous arguments, this case presents one central question: whether a university, receiving federal funds, engages in unlawful discrimination, in violation of the United States Constitution and federal and state statutes, when it prohibits a transgender male student from using sex-segregated restrooms and locker rooms designated for men on a university campus. The simple answer is no."

(1) Plaintiff was born a female but identifies as a transgender male."
http://www.utimes.pitt.edu/documents...tonOpinion.pdf

Old 05-15-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't care for Obama's "guidance." It essentially eliminates gendered bathrooms in schools.

Personally, I'm not worried about anyone who has actually changed his or her appearance using the restroom that matches the gender of his appearance. If he or she is that committed, go for it. I'm just not going to look that hard at the fella (or "fella") entering the men's room stall. What I don't know won't hurt me--folks that look like guys should go to the men's room, folks that look like gals should go to the ladies' room, IMO.

I do have a problem with people who aren't committed enough to change their appearance to match their feelings nevertheless claiming that they need to use the restroom that matches their feelings. Sorry, no, if they're not feeling it enough to change their all-day-long appearance, I don't buy that they're going to suffer psychological damage having to spend a few minutes in the restroom that matches their appearance rather than their feelings.

There were a couple of guys in my building at my last job--one who actually worked for me--who occasionally woke up feeling pretty and wore dresses. They didn't do anything else with their appearance. IMO, they needed to stick to the men's room. OTOH, there was also someone known to have transitioned in all ways from male to female...she used the women's room. I had no problem with that.

I agree. I've worked with transgendered people who transitioned and they have every right to use the bathroom that matches the plumbing regardless of whether the plumbing has been reworked. I'm even ok with those who live the lifestyle without going through the change as long as I don't have to see anything I'm not expecting to see in the bathroom. I probably have used the same bathroom as someone who was simply dressing the part and never knew it.

The women's rest room isn't a problem because the stalls are usually private. The men's shouldn't be because even if "he" still has she parts "he'd" use a stall. Showers are another issue altogether. Most showers in schools are not private. You're lucky if there's a half wall between shower heads. There the equipment needs to match the shower you use. I'm sorry if this makes one person feel uncomfortable because they identify as the other gender. That's better than making all the other people in the shower uncomfortable.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
As I've already posted, a PA state university expelled a FTM trans with a vagina for using men's multiple occupancy restroom/locker/shower room facilities on campus. Federal court upheld the expulsion for doing so in 2015:

http://www.utimes.pitt.edu/documents...tonOpinion.pdf
The expulsion was before Obummer decreed that schools must allow this.

I'm talking about the kids in my high school. Let's say our three TG female to male (I don't know if any have had any surgery. I just know they identify as boys and we have to use their boy names even though their official names are still their girl names.) Who is going to be held liable when they are harassed in the bathrooms if they choose to use the boys room?

Personally, I think bathrooms are a non issue. Girls bathrooms have private stalls. If you look like a girl no one would think twice about you walking in. I would think showers would be a non issue too since I'd think that the TG would rather not strip in front of others and be ridiculed for not having the parts they feel like they should have.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The expulsion was before Obummer decreed that schools must allow this.

I'm talking about the kids in my high school. Let's say our three TG female to male (I don't know if any have had any surgery. I just know they identify as boys and we have to use their boy names even though their official names are still their girl names.) Who is going to be held liable when they are harassed in the bathrooms if they choose to use the boys room?
What I'd like to know is who's going to be held liable when they commit FELONY indecent exposure by using multiple occupancy locker/shower facilities that DON'T match their anatomical genitalia?

It's a FELONY because of the occurrence on school grounds and/or the age of the reporting victim/s.

And BTW, those who commit an indecent exposure act on school grounds and/or to a minor victim have to register as child sex offenders for life.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:21 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
What I'd like to know is who's going to be held liable when they commit FELONY indecent exposure by using multiple occupancy locker/shower facilities that DON'T match their anatomical genitalia?
Ivorytickler had already said:
Quote:
Showers are another issue altogether. Most showers in schools are not private. You're lucky if there's a half wall between shower heads. There the equipment needs to match the shower you use. I'm sorry if this makes one person feel uncomfortable because they identify as the other gender. That's better than making all the other people in the shower uncomfortable.
Quote:
It's a FELONY because of the occurrence on school grounds and/or the age of the reporting victim/s.

And BTW, those who commit an indecent exposure act on school grounds and/or to a minor victim have to register as child sex offenders for life.
Laws that make lifetime criminals of kids who commit indecent exposure with children of equivalent age need some reworking.

I worked pretty hard to get some girls to indecently expose themselves to me when I was a teenager--it would be absurd for that to have made them lifetime criminals, just because they were unable to resist my overwhelming charm.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Ivorytickler had already said:
Laws that make lifetime criminals of kids who commit indecent exposure with children of equivalent age need some reworking.
Really? Since when is it ever appropriate to expose a penis and testicles to a MINOR girl against her will (or vice versa, as the PA FTM state university student with a vagina learned the hard way)?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:56 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
I agree. I've worked with transgendered people who transitioned and they have every right to use the bathroom that matches the plumbing regardless of whether the plumbing has been reworked. I'm even ok with those who live the lifestyle without going through the change as long as I don't have to see anything I'm not expecting to see in the bathroom. I probably have used the same bathroom as someone who was simply dressing the part and never knew it.

The women's rest room isn't a problem because the stalls are usually private. The men's shouldn't be because even if "he" still has she parts "he'd" use a stall. Showers are another issue altogether. Most showers in schools are not private. You're lucky if there's a half wall between shower heads. There the equipment needs to match the shower you use. I'm sorry if this makes one person feel uncomfortable because they identify as the other gender. That's better than making all the other people in the shower uncomfortable.

There are many that don't even really see that as private.
Many are not too comfortable using a public restroom to begin with, why make it worse for them?

I'm sure it's a much larger percentage of the population that transgenders comprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies