Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 11:55 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Regardless, what he did was stupid and hilariously ironic when you actually think about it.
Now, if it were a nun in a wimple no one would find it funny. This is just assault; like lifting a woman's skirt.

I think that jail time is appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:49 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In the Islamic nations, its a symbol of oppression as women are forced to wear it against their will. When a Muslim wears it in America or another non-Muslim country, it is to signifies their refusal to assimilate and their rejection of American culture.

You liberals welcome Muslims with open arms, yet you seem to forget that Muslims vehemently oppose liberal things like allowing men into women's bathrooms, gay marriage etc. In fact Muslims believe gays should be killed. That is very different than a Christian who simply opposes gay marriage and transgender bathrooms.
If assimilation is necessary then why not outrage at the dress of a Jew or a Budhist? So is the Hungarian now required to give up making goulash in your Archie Bunker perfect world of assimilation? What happened to the USA being great because we welcomed people of all backgrounds? You know that entire melting pot thingy we were taught in grade school. Who are you to tell others that they have to abandon the dress of their faith? And only one religion is required to do so apparently.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 05-19-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In the Islamic nations, its a symbol of oppression as women are forced to wear it against their will. When a Muslim wears it in America or another non-Muslim country, it is to signifies their refusal to assimilate and their rejection of American culture.

You liberals welcome Muslims with open arms, yet you seem to forget that Muslims vehemently oppose liberal things like allowing men into women's bathrooms, gay marriage etc. In fact Muslims believe gays should be killed. That is very different than a Christian who simply opposes gay marriage and transgender bathrooms.
Then there are those who erroneously assume that a woman is wearing a hijab and proceed to act like threatening animals. I am a female that is often mistaken for different races (Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Indian, etc) - I am in fact a multi-racial woman from Hawaii with none of those other races in my background.

One spring my DH (White man from Alabama) wanted fresh air, so the truck windows were rolled down. I had a fairly intricate hair style that I didn't want mussed, so I tied a scarf around my head. We were in Louisville on an outing since we were an active duty Army family stationed at Ft. Knox; we were at a stop light and a group of males starting shouting truly foul things at us (our h.s. boys were with us).

So, here I was thinking I had a lovely, silk scarf protecting my hair style a la Audrey Hepburn but what these "patriotic" males saw was an enemy. My DH spent 23 years in the Army and I, too had been a Soldier and I was treated to some truly ugly behavior. I was afraid that my DH and boys would get into a physical altercation and I was relieved when the light changed.

While I believe that everyone should be allowed to follow the Religon of their choice, there are times when a scarf is simply a scarf and I should be able to wear one whenever I feel like it! Due to this disgusting incident we never roll down our windows since my hair would be wildly mussed.

People should mind their own business and treat others the way they would wish their own loved ones be treated.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:37 PM

52,195 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Then there are those who erroneously assume that a woman is wearing a hijab and proceed to act like threatening animals. I am a female that is often mistaken for different races (Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Indian, etc) - I am in fact a multi-racial woman from Hawaii with none of those other races in my background.

One spring my DH (White man from Alabama) wanted fresh air, so the truck windows were rolled down. I had a fairly intricate hair style that I didn't want mussed, so I tied a scarf around my head. We were in Louisville on an outing since we were an active duty Army family stationed at Ft. Knox; we were at a stop light and a group of males starting shouting truly foul things at us (our h.s. boys were with us).

So, here I was thinking I had a lovely, silk scarf protecting my hair style a la Audrey Hepburn but what these "patriotic" males saw was an enemy. My DH spent 23 years in the Army and I, too had been a Soldier and I was treated to some truly ugly behavior. I was afraid that my DH and boys would get into a physical altercation and I was relieved when the light changed.

While I believe that everyone should be allowed to follow the Religon of their choice, there are times when a scarf is simply a scarf and I should be able to wear one whenever I feel like it! Due to this disgusting incident we never roll down our windows since my hair would be wildly mussed.

People should mind their own business and treat others the way they would wish their own loved ones be treated.

Sorry you and your family had to experience something that. Especially with your families service this country. Sad how sometimes people being ignorant can really be just plain ugly.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:50 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post

I came to post the same thing as Chowhound. I am so very sorry you had this experience. It disgusts me that Americans are acting this way and it's what prompted my line earlier that I hate America so much right now because of this sort of behavior.

That is why I became so animated in this thread. It is nearly as disgusting to me when I read posters say the woman in the opening post all but deserved the treatment she got because either:

A. She is a terrorist or terrorist sympathizer because obviously they all are.

or

B. She fails to properly assimilate which apparently means throwing your religious beliefs in the garbage can, but only if you are one particular religion.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:09 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
Happened last December, dirt bag plead guilty in court yesterday.
Im glad he was honest about it!!!

He did it,there was NO DENYING THAT!!

Old 05-19-2016, 03:32 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks, back at you. I think anonymous reports COULD work but there is still a huge risk. But yeah I agree, if they know they should do more. Of course many are just as surprised as we are when they learn that the guy they worship with, their neighbor, co-worker etc is a radical so I'm not assuming they always know and keep quiet.
If the risk is so "huge" then isn't there something to profiling and watching them?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:59 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If assimilation is necessary then why not outrage at the dress of a Jew or a Budhist? So is the Hungarian now required to give up making goulash in your Archie Bunker perfect world of assimilation? What happened to the USA being great because we welcomed people of all backgrounds? You know that entire melting pot thingy we were taught in grade school. Who are you to tell others that they have to abandon the dress of their faith? And only one religion is required to do so apparently.
That's out ancient history. At least the guy one thing right, this is America which is why he is going to jail for “using force or threat of force to intentionally obstruct a Muslim woman … in the free exercise of her religious beliefs.”

Old 05-19-2016, 07:28 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
That's out ancient history. At least the guy one thing right, this is America which is why he is going to jail for “using force or threat of force to intentionally obstruct a Muslim woman … in the free exercise of her religious beliefs.”

Actually you can just drop the last clause and call it "assault."

Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
He did plea guilty when this was taken to court, so there's a chance he knows he did something wrong. Perhaps the stress of the flight made him act irrationally. Not an excuse, but a possible explanation. Or maybe he proudly plead guilty because he believed himself to be a martyr. Regardless, what he did was stupid and hilariously ironic when you actually think about it.
No, it's an excuse. The man is a thug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies