Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 06:40 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
He invented the FULL automatic version, so it makes sense he would be against it in civilian hands.

I believe the company was SOLD AFTER he invented the original and was converted to a semi-automatic for civilian use.
This is an example of why it's not worth having a reasonable debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:09 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
In my opinion, the majority of Democrats are taking the one step at a time approach to basically rip the Second Amendment out of our constitution. Gun control and regulations are not going to stop terrorists and criminals from getting guns, or any other items to do what they do. In fact, if the gun banners manage to ban many semi-automatic weapons, high capacity magazines, and ammo, they'll only be helping terrorists and criminals because they know they would not face any resistance from armed law-abiding Americans like myself.

Here's a couple of interesting articles with 2 guys that have good common sense, Navy Seal Dom Raso
This Former Navy SEAL's Defense Of The AR-15 Is Epic

And actor Kurt Russell, who is a big supporter of the Second Amendment.
Kurt Russell Drops Massive Truth Bomb About Gun Control

Old 06-16-2016, 07:23 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
In our case, I'm the wife, and my husband is coming around. The biggie was when our house in PA was broken into (fortunately we weren't home at the time), and when we called the town police we were told that they don't serve our area. We're in the township, not the actual town, so if we have a problem we have to call the state police. They work by county, so it could be quite a while before we would get a response in an emergency.
In an emergency the town police will come if there is an imminent danger to persons or property. They won't come for just a report when the burglars are long gone.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:42 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
He invented the FULL automatic version, so it makes sense he would be against it in civilian hands.

I believe the company was SOLD AFTER he invented the original and was converted to a semi-automatic for civilian use.
Your response is below, please explain why what you responded to above is why you cannot have a reasonable debate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is an example of why it's not worth having a reasonable debate.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,814,499 times
Not gonna scroll every page to see if this is already here, but good article from a few years ago on why you should own an AR-15.

Massachusetts Cops on Why You Should Own an AR-15 - The Truth About Guns

Old 06-16-2016, 09:38 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
In an emergency the town police will come if there is an imminent danger to persons or property. They won't come for just a report when the burglars are long gone.
Well, that's good to know. We're still a good 12 minutes out of town, though. Maybe 7, since the police can legally drive faster.

We were told the police have a very good idea of who is behind it, but they don't have proof. Basically, a bunch of formerly incarcerated drug addicts were dumped three towns over.

As for Jim Sullivan, I posted his rebuttal to the HBO interview, but don't remember which thread. I'll look for it again tomorrow. He said (paraphrasing) that he never thought civilians would have the AR, but that he has no issues with it being available for civilian use. He also said something about the reason he doesn't usually give interviews is because of hostile interviewers. Seems he got that right!

Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Again show me where liberals blame gun owners when crimes have been committed.

I am a liberal, never hid that fact. Have I not come into this thread with an open mind and willingness to learn? Have I not posted at least twice that I am coming around to your side of the argument regarding this particular gun? Yet you continue to make blanket statements as if we all think and act alike. We don't.

They don't necessarily blame gun owners (although some do) but they always blame the gun instead of the shooter.

Semi automatic weapons have been around for a long time, long before mass shootings started to become common.

On top of that, gun laws have gotten more strict. You used to be able to order a rifle through the Sears catalog and have it shipped right to your door....no background checks...nada.

Yet, nobody was going around shooting up shools or office buildings or nightclubs back then.

What's happened in American society since then that makes people snap and start killing people wholesale?

And why do we think that this has anything to do with the gun and nothing to do with the shooter and their sanity/morals/extremist ideology?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I live in the nicest neighborhood in literally the safest city in America.

My alarm went off when 2 big black guys tried to kick down my back door (on video).

Police response? 45 minutes. Bc they don't take house alarms seriously and EVERY criminal knows that.

I begrudge no one owning a gun for home safety.
Yikes?! No sheriff's deputies or troopers around?!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They may not have designed that way but that is the result. There are some guns/bullets that go straight through an that is the reason the AR-15 isn't used as a hunting rifle.
This post is proof positive you know absolutely nothing about about the AR platform.

Just be honest.

You want an outright ban on all firearms.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:54 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'm not being emotional at all, just logical.

Cigarettes won't go the way of prohibition. But they are taxed up the wazoo.

Should be the same for ammo.
Yeah. You are. If not emotional, you're being illogical.

Show us you are not being emotional or illogical. Please present actual facts beyond the typical hard-left talking points. I'll be more than happy to argue them in public, or private.

Heck, come on down to Charlotte. I'll put you up for the weekend, cook a bit of BBQ (my namesake) and shoot the breeze with you. I won't just put my money where my mouth is, I'll put my house where my mouth is. I'm all about civilized debate. And a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies