Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

I've followed this issue for a while now, also by way of more than a few gun threads, and though I have not been altogether against gun control, I have come to accept there isn't much that can be done to stop gun violence in America or even to lessen the body count by any acceptable level. I am no gun expert, and I have been chastised for having an opinion though I am not an expert, even for relying on experts instead. However, as compared to many gun enthusiasts in these threads, for example, I just tend to pay closer attention to other experts that tend to make more sense without all the gun obsession detail down to the patina. Accordingly, rather than go round and round those gun circles, I'm glad to have this to offer as my position. IOWs, I tend to agree almost entirely with what is written here. Not that the "answers" put forth here are altogether satisfying, but about the best we can do I think...

"What can be done to address this much larger toll of gun violence, which leaves nearly 100,000 Americans killed or wounded each year?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've followed this issue for a while now, also by way of more than a few gun threads, and though I have not been altogether against gun control, I have come to accept there isn't much that can be done to stop gun violence in America or even to lessen the body count by any acceptable level. I am no gun expert, and I have been chastised for having an opinion though I am not an expert, even for relying on experts instead. However, as compared to many gun enthusiasts in these threads, for example, I just tend to pay closer attention to other experts that tend to make more sense without all the gun obsession detail down to the patina. Accordingly, rather than go round and round those gun circles, I'm glad to have this to offer as my position. IOWs, I tend to agree almost entirely with what is written here. Not that the "answers" put forth here are altogether satisfying, but about the best we can do I think...

"What can be done to address this much larger toll of gun violence, which leaves nearly 100,000 Americans killed or wounded each year?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt
Virtually every idea in that article could be viewed as a violation of the 2nd amendment or 4th amendment.

Gun nuts are fine with the status quo. That's the bottom line. You can't limit their access to firearms in any way, including ammunition. You can't deny anyone the right to buy a gun without a court case.

Bottom line, you aren't allowed to do anything about anything because 10% of the hard core, militant, gun worshipping country wants it to be exactly as it is, of worse. And when you realize that a good chunk of that 5% are far right survivalist types waiting for a race war, it makes further sense.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Your link doesn't work for me so I'll throw out my opinion.

1. Better education for everyone. We as a society need to teach people that violence isn't the first means of resolution to a problem. We also need to teach tolerance. It's too easy and too commonplace for someone who doesn't like a person's choices to stand against them. This starts in the home from a young age.

2. Less media coverage. The media sensationalizes gun violence and violence in general. This becomes appealing to aggressive youth and they soak up the media coverage like a sponge without yet being able to form their own thoughts and opinions.

3. Required gun safety courses. Just as we are required to take a driving test to get a license, we should be required to take a gun safety course before being allowed to purchase a firearm. Being caught without this li

4. Hold people accountable for their actions. Enough with the PC baloney. If you commit a crime, regardless of your race, political stance, gender, or religion you should be held accountable. I would recommend mandatory counseling and psychological treatment for those who commit crimes to try and get to the root cause of what sparked those actions to prevent future reoccurrences. If deemed psychologically unfit to own a firearm, the person would be denied legal means of obtaining one.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:46 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
I think a law to make it illegal to kill people would work, wouldn't it?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I think a law to make it illegal to kill people would work, wouldn't it?

Any comments on the actual article posted?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post

You expect too much, generally speaking that is...

Old 06-23-2016, 08:53 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Gun violence and violence in general is at historic lows; exactly what do you think the gun death/wounded rate should be? At what rate would you state "our gun issue is just fine"?

There are more guns and more people in the US now than in 1980, yet the rate is lower.

Remove young black males who commit the over whelming proportion of gun crimes from the equation, the US has a rate the is equal to or exceeds those precious European countries with their low rates.

Given the ease of access and manufacturing of weapons, to the point even Norway and France cannot keep them out of peoples' hands who have intent to commit violence; it would be best to understand bans do not work and will never work, and only create criminals out of 99% of gun owners who do not commit gun crimes.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:56 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post

The article is good and is one of the few common sense articles on this subject, especially that it acknowledges that "assault" weapons make up a very small percent of gun crimes, and that gang/drug crimes make up a lot of it as well as domestic abuse issues.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:57 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
I'm uncomfortable with the mass shootings statistics. Most mass shootings are inner city drive bys that hit a bunch of people. It skews people's perception of what's going on here.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Article in Scientific American....."The Science of Mass Shooters: What Drives a Person to Kill?

There is no template for the path to violence and rarely can a single cause explain any one atrocity"

The Science of Mass Shooters: What Drives a Person to Kill? - Scientific American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies