Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,595,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Actually it is easy to detect the criminals.
The FBI reports that 71% of violent criminals are repeat offenders.
What would happen if we stopped letting these career criminals plea bargain down to misdemeanors?
What if we made violent gun crime a federal offense and incarcerated these recidivists for long long sentences?
What if we stopped with the early release program?
Segregating violent repeat offenders would create fewer victims.
If we could get this one thing figured out, we probably would drop the gun crime stats so low that there would be no need for the gun control conversation.
When can you guys get over the fact that no self-respecting liberals would want any real resolution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I am amused by those who feel their gun is what provides them safety or serves as the "great equalizer" given how rare the cases of criminals prevented from doing what they do regardless. The better equalizer, I think, is being smart and rational. That's why so many of these comments are also amusing, because they are neither smart or rational, yet somehow those making the comments think they're brilliant!

Explaining that guns are just like knives, for example, or simply repeating that we have the 2A...

My rights are not for anyone to take away without a fight to the death.....
Others may give their up freely and without batting an eye, but don't demand those that do not consent to comply with unreasonable and more importantly, unconstitutional demands, be forced to comply..
A gun is specially made for bullies and predators.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:38 PM

46,334 posts, read 27,176,488 times
Quote:
I am amused by those who feel their gun is what provides them safety or serves as the "great equalizer" given how rare the cases of criminals prevented from doing what they do regardless. The better equalizer, I think, is being smart and rational. That's why so many of these comments are also amusing, because they are neither smart or rational, yet somehow those making the comments think they're brilliant!

Explaining that guns are just like knives, for example, or simply repeating that we have the 2A...

These are actually considered intelligent arguments, repeated adnauseam, along with the one about how guns don't do the killing, people do -- duh! Truly a marvel to witness, and thank goodness we are not dependent on the likes when it comes to what ultimately transpires in the way of "sensible" gun control efforts.

Yes, there's that moronic term, "gun control," that for some suggests gun control advocates think that guns can think! It's these sorts of arguments that are absolutely moronic, though some might suspect a form of intelligence when it comes to arguments that keep any "honest discussion" from getting started.

Crafty in any case...

You have been provided thousands of cases (in the 50 threads) where where criminals were stopped using guns, yet you write how rare they are? Maybe you don't like facts and just spew off at the mouth.

Well, gun control is used by the left, and it does not mean the gun can think (please provide a link to where anyone has said that, one the left or right, and provide a reputable link).

LOL, you talk about honesty in a discussion and they you flat out don't tell the truth about people using guns to stop criminals after being shown thousands....

hillary, is that you?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I think a law to make it illegal to kill people would work, wouldn't it?

Yup. Because making things illegal stops them from happening.

As to what will fix gun violence? Same thing that will fix knife violence or bomb violence any other kind of violence. Pretty much nothing. You're always going to have lunatics who decide to kill people and they will do it whether they have guns or not.

There are many mass killings that didn't even involve guns. http://stephenewright.com/fromtheblu...-mass-murders/ It doesn't matter whether guns are legal or illegal. Those who want to kill will kill. Figure out how to stop them from wanting to kill and you'll have solved your problem. Until then all controlling guns will do is make sure that only criminals have guns.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 07-06-2016 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 08:21 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,761,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Actually it is easy to detect the criminals.
The FBI reports that 71% of violent criminals are repeat offenders.
What would happen if we stopped letting these career criminals plea bargain down to misdemeanors?
What if we made violent gun crime a federal offense and incarcerated these recidivists for long long sentences?
What if we stopped with the early release program?
Segregating violent repeat offenders would create fewer victims.
If we could get this one thing figured out, we probably would drop the gun crime stats so low that there would be no need for the gun control conversation.
My first question is how many of the 71% are second time offenders, because leniency upon first offense is generally granted, and I'm not sure that isn't appropriate. No doubt the statistics, circumstances and sentences change upon second offense and thereafter, but here again, either way, we're treating the effect rather than the cause. The U.S. already has just as exceptional an incarceration rate as it does a gun violence rate after all...

Old 07-07-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Others may give their up freely and without batting an eye, but don't demand those that do not consent to comply with unreasonable and more importantly, unconstitutional demands, be forced to comply..
Seems to me that your right to bluster away about using your guns either to defend yourself from bad guys and/or tyrannical government, always "to the death" of course, is what inspires you most, but check again, and I think you should notice your rights in many regards are affected by our government and laws in keeping with how our society must deal with our societal issues. For example, there are gun control laws in effect today despite all your repetition and pointing to the 2A. When will you come to realize and accept this simple fact?

Also, despite your further fantasies along these lines, guns are made by weapons manufacturers for purposes of making a profit...

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-07-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yup. Because making things illegal stops them from happening.

As to what will fix gun violence? Same thing that will fix knife violence or bomb violence any other kind of violence. Pretty much nothing. You're always going to have lunatics who decide to kill people and they will do it whether they have guns or not.

There are many mass killings that didn't even involve guns. The Butcher It doesn't matter whether guns are legal or illegal. Those who want to kill will kill. Figure out how to stop them from wanting to kill and you'll have solved your problem. Until then all controlling guns will do is make sure that only criminals have guns.
Again with these sorts of arguments that are somewhat remedial, right? I mean of course making things illegal doesn't necessarily stop them from happening, but where does that reasoning take us? No point in having laws that make things illegal? Think a bit and you've got to realize that these laws are what allows law enforcement officials to pursue, apprehend and possibly incarcerate people who do illegal things, right? These laws also cause people to think a bit more as well, perhaps inclined to avoid such persecution and incarceration. Need this really be explained? How many burglars, for example, think better not to burglar with a gun given the penalty of committing a crime with a gun? Would be interesting to know...

Just as ridiculous is the claim that these laws don't matter simply because "those who want to kill will kill." So what? Murder should not be a crime?

I really don't know what to make of these "arguments" most of the time. They don't make much sense at face value and defy the obvious fact these laws have effect and are on the books for a reason, yet...

PS: Again, guns are the weapon of choice also for a reason.

https://www.quandl.com/data/FBI/WEAP...by-Weapon-Type

Old 07-07-2016, 09:24 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,745,160 times
Guns are the weapons of choice for hunters as well

Old 07-07-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Seems to me that your right to bluster away about using your guns either to defend yourself from bad guys and/or tyrannical government, always "to the death" of course, is what inspires you most, but check again, and I think you should notice your rights in many regards are affected by our government and laws in keeping with how our society must deal with our societal issues. For example, there are gun control laws in effect today despite all your repetition and pointing to the 2A. When will you come to realize and accept this simple fact?

Also, despite your further fantasies along these lines, guns are made by weapons manufacturers for purposes of making a profit...

Funny, it is more about me, than what I said.

Why act like a bully?

Old 07-07-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Guns are the weapons of choice for hunters as well

Guns made the Indians fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies