Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would not call it a "viral video" effect because that implies a greater limitation than there is, but I definitely think the effect of social media must be considered.

You will hear this from me in more than one context. The Millennial generation lives in social media, and their worldview is based largely on what social media bubble they live in. This has an the same effect on those who live in a radical Islamic social media bubble (Omar Mateen) or a white supremacist social media bubble (Dylan Roof) or a black reactionary social media bubble (Micah Johnson).

You see these people moving through the "real world" with their phones to their faces and buds in their ears--immersed in their social media bubbles...sitting beside you on the bus. Their social media bubbles form the contexts of their existences and for young adolescent males seeking purpose, their social media bubbles encourage them in a purpose.

The government authorities and media pundits search in vain for "organizations" and "leaders" and "direct contacts"--there are none.
How digital technology and/or video has changed the manner in which we live and relate today is something of a different subject. The "viral video" effect is more about how police feel given the possibility their actions may be recorded on video and evaluated after the fact.

There are many advantages to so many people carrying smart phones these days. One of them is the ability to capture video on a moment's notice, whether to capture a great photo, a quality moment with friends or family, traveling..., and also of course maybe the wrong-doing by criminals and/or police. I am certainly in favor of the use of body cams on police, because there appear to be more pros than cons, and if wearing a body cam causes law enforcement to be less aggressive out of concern about their tactics later being viewed in a negative light, AKA not according to proper police protocol, then so be it.

Key findings:

Officers who did not wear body cameras conducted more “stop-and-frisks” and made more arrests than officers who wore the video cameras. Officers who did not wear cameras performed 9.8% more stop-and-frisks and made 6.9% more arrests.

Officers assigned to wear cameras issued 23.1% more citations for ordinance violations than those who did not wear cameras.

Officers with body cameras initiated 13.5% more interactions with citizens than those who did not wear them.

Officers wearing cameras were 25.2% more likely to perceive the devices as being helpful during their interactions with the public.

The cameras did not have a significant impact on whether or not officers gave verbal warnings to citizens.

Do body cameras change how police interact with the public? - Journalist's Resource Journalist's Resource

Now if only we can only find a way to capture video of gun violence, though I have also seen it reported that surveliance cameras have proven a worthy preventative measure in some areas as well. Big Brother is watching more than ever these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 08:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,903,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Except for one thing. Alot of those nuts will find illegal means to get guns, such as smuggling. Jamaica has this problem. I've pointed it out over and over. No one listens.
i know the feeling, and you are not the only one who has pointed this out. it has also been pointed out that one does not need a gun to kill a lot of people, and that was pointed out in france a couple of days ago when a guy used a truck to plow into a crowd and kill 77 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And this is one of the many issues that needs to be addressed. And this is why I blame the left for not really doing anything. They had a "sit in" , for a new firearms bill that wouldn't do a damn thing. And they wonder why the GOP won't budge, had they started addressing the real issues maybe it would go somewhere.
very true. it isnt the tools used to in violent events, its the people using the tools that create the violence. and until we address the issue of WHY the violence is happening, we will never end the violence.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:24 PM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i know the feeling, and you are not the only one who has pointed this out. it has also been pointed out that one does not need a gun to kill a lot of people, and that was pointed out in france a couple of days ago when a guy used a truck to plow into a crowd and kill 77 people.

very true. it isnt the tools used to in violent events, its the people using the tools that create the violence. and until we address the issue of WHY the violence is happening, we will never end the violence.

Maybe if we spent half the time considering the causes of violence and/or who future violent offenders may be as compared to what weapon of choice a violent offender may prefer, we might get somewhere. At least waste a whole lot less time arguing the stupid...

As the article I used to start this thread is also better focused, but as for the hope we ever "end the violence," I have more hope a money tree will sprout in my backyard.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:33 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,685,811 times
Agreed. Weapons don't really matter. Anything can be a weapon in the hands of the right person. Weapons are not the problem. It's some people's mentality that is the problem. We need to be focusing attention there. We're looking at the effect, but never the cause.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:29 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,003,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've followed this issue for a while now, also by way of more than a few gun threads, and though I have not been altogether against gun control, I have come to accept there isn't much that can be done to stop gun violence in America or even to lessen the body count by any acceptable level. I am no gun expert, and I have been chastised for having an opinion though I am not an expert, even for relying on experts instead. However, as compared to many gun enthusiasts in these threads, for example, I just tend to pay closer attention to other experts that tend to make more sense without all the gun obsession detail down to the patina. Accordingly, rather than go round and round those gun circles, I'm glad to have this to offer as my position. IOWs, I tend to agree almost entirely with what is written here. Not that the "answers" put forth here are altogether satisfying, but about the best we can do I think...

"What can be done to address this much larger toll of gun violence, which leaves nearly 100,000 Americans killed or wounded each year?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt
Australia had a big gun problem. But now it has really strict gun control.

Gun Control: What It's Like to Own Guns in Australia

To own gun is really hard in Australia.

Quote:
You have to be a member of a target shooting club or a hunter and you have to prove it. For hunting, you can get written permission from a landowner who says you are hunting on his land. Or you can join a hunting club. Pistols [handguns], on the other hand, are heavily restricted. All applicants undergo a background check by the police and there is a mandatory 30 day cooling off period for all license applications, both long arms and pistols. Firearms safety training courses are mandatory as well.

Another part of the law that changed is that the police can come to your house and inspect your storage. When we renovated our house, I built a room dedicated to my firearms collection. They’re all in large safes. All the ammunition is stored separately to the rifles and the pistols. I
Just some of the strict gun control laws there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-d...28Australia%29

Last edited by Bubble99; 07-19-2016 at 03:43 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 03:36 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,003,665 times
Here is stats on gun killing by country.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W9LkhCs6ib...0/imrs.php.jpg

In Poland only in very strict circumstances can you have a firearm in your home.

If you shot somebody for tresspassing or breaking into your home you would be tried for murder.

Only sports shooting and hunting.

You cannot own gun for Self-defence and open carry is not allowed.

Per guns per capita Poland is very low.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number...ita_by_country

Old 07-19-2016, 03:38 AM

9,143 posts, read 5,817,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Australia had a big gun problem. But now it has really strict gun control.
No, they really didn't.
They had one mass shooting.
Then they banned guns.
People ain't gettin' shot, but they're still gettin' killed.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:14 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,601,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I think a law to make it illegal to kill people would work, wouldn't it?
Wow! That's a radical suggestion, let me know how it works out, and I'll suggest it to Amber Rudd, our new Home Secretary, the woman who replaced Theresa May when she was elevated to the top job.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:18 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,310,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Agreed. Weapons don't really matter. Anything can be a weapon in the hands of the right person. Weapons are not the problem. It's some people's mentality that is the problem. We need to be focusing attention there. We're looking at the effect, but never the cause.
Can you name a weapon that can allow a person to injure/kill seven people all of whom are thirty feet away from the perp?

Weapons are not all the same. A rolled up newspaper can kill a person if used right, or if used wrecklessly.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:27 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Here is stats on gun killing by country.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W9LkhCs6ib...0/imrs.php.jpg

In Poland only in very strict circumstances can you have a firearm in your home.

If you shot somebody for tresspassing or breaking into your home you would be tried for murder.

Only sports shooting and hunting.

You cannot own gun for Self-defence and open carry is not allowed.

Per guns per capita Poland is very low.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number...ita_by_country
North Korea is lower than Poland. So is Rwanda and Mali.

The Czech Republic is only half of Norway, Canada, or , yet has far more liberal gun laws (not much less liberal than the US).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies