Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 04:58 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times

Advertisements

If a woman kills another pregnant woman she can be (and is often) charged with two counts of murder. I've never understood this lack of consistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 05:06 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Who is too stupid to use birth control. That's the way I see it. With all the birth control available only a person with a very low I. Q. would need to do the more expensive birth control.

Maybe we need some higher I.Q.'s on the court too. Then maybe they could consider the rights of the child.
Who are those low IQ people who slashed funding to PP and the access to birth control?

Quote:
About a year after Texas slashed its family-planning budget by two-thirds, with 50 clinics shutting down as a result, the Texas Policy Evaluation Project surveyed 300 pregnant women seeking an abortion in Texas. Nearly half said they were "unable to access the birth control that they wanted to use" in the three months before they became pregnant. Among the reasons: cost, lack of insurance, inability to find a clinic, and inability get a prescription.
Charts: This Is What Happens When You Defund Planned Parenthood | Mother Jones

Old 06-27-2016, 05:10 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

This was NOT just a narrow margin decision either..actually even 2 of the dissenters of the 3 said..laws need to be revisited..and ONLY Clarence Thomas was the full throated supporter of Texas Law!

5-3 is close in an 8-member vote. For some reason, Kennedy has sacrificed his legal mind to go with the liberal flow.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:10 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
If a woman kills another pregnant woman she can be (and is often) charged with two counts of murder. I've never understood this lack of consistency.
I don't understand that one either. Not being coy but I guess it's because she didn't decide what to do with her body?

Another one: say a 3rd term pregnant lady attempts suicide, survives, but kills the fetus. Is that a charge or just a self abortion at that point?

I don't have the answer nor am I trying to be coy. I honestly don't know.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:17 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
There will always be abortion. Either it will be legal abortions in clinics or illegal ones in back alleys. There will always be abortion.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:21 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
lol. Then what are they doing getting pregnant against their wishes? Intelligent? Nope. Responsible? Obviously not. Moral? Surely, you jest!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against abortion. But to call women seeking abortion intelligent, responsible, and moral is a laugh. A very BIG laugh.
Do you realize that you are calling a poster who shared her abortion experience with us in this thread unintelligent, irresponsible, and immoral - when the procedure she had done was for a severe fetal abnormality?

The problem with that article is that women who need further treatment for an incomplete abortion are then subject to the risks from having a surgical termination. The proper comparison is how many surgical abortion complications are avoided by having a medical termination which prevents the need for surgery at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Do mistakes happen? Sure ....BC fails occasionally.

But the vast majority of abortions are not done because of failed BC.

They are done as a matter of convenience to the "intelligent responsible and moral" women who think that it won't happen to them.
Over half of abortions are for pregnancies conceived during cycles in which contraceptives were used. The user may not have applied the method perfectly, but contraception failure happens more than "occasionally".

In addition, a significant fraction of those who oppose abortion also oppose the more effective methods of contraception that are not user dependent, including the IUD. That is why they attack Planned Parenthood's non-abortion services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What's particularly concerning is that SCOTUS has now taken it upon themselves to make medical decisions. Are any of them doctors? No. Did any of the majority consider the fact that their ruling essentially treats women like 2nd class citizens as far as the quality of medical care they'll receive under this ruling? No.
I agree with the others who find your repetition of "2nd class citizens" obnoxious. Please stop, because current standards for abortion facilities do not make women "2nd class citizens".

The state attorney for Texas has admitted the new law would do nothing to make abortion in Texas any safer. The quality of care, as demonstrated by low complication rates, is already excellent.

In addition, SCOTUS did have input from doctors, specifically obstetricians and gynecologists, who stated that the law would not make abortion safer, it would only set up barriers to access - which the governor admits he wanted: to make it harder to get an abortion.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 06-27-2016 at 06:33 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,826 times
Texas dummies get whacked again, eh.

FINE work, Kennedy...

Old 06-27-2016, 05:36 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
There will always be abortion. Either it will be legal abortions in clinics or illegal ones in back alleys. There will always be abortion.
I actually heard floated that those women who had spontaneous abortions ( natures way) COULD be held accountable unless they have a whole host of folks to end such a notion..Talk about legislation against a women's body...Spontaneous definition is pretty clear..Loss of pregnancy thru no fault or interference..Yet those women get threatened with legal implications.. Talk about Terror on Women?? Would they go after the man who beat the he$$ out of her which caused it?? Doubt it..Double standard in this day and age

Old 06-27-2016, 05:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Suzy, you're kind to come to my defense, but I don't put much stock in comments like that one. I have a very thick skin! The only reason I continue to post and tell my story is to allow those who lurk to know that they are not alone and that eventually the cloud will lift and they can embrace a happy and fulfilling life. I am living proof that women who have abortions are just like everyone else. Bad stuff happens to good people and sometimes pregnancy termination is warranted. That doesn't mean I believe in an abortion free-for-all, but I do believe that women must have it as an option and that it must be as safe as possible and available without undo restriction.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Complications from abortions are rare, occurring less than a quarter of a percent of the time, about the same frequency as with colonoscopies. Many colonoscopies are performed in outpatient clinics or doctor's offices. Where is your concern for all of the colonoscopy patients being treated as second class citizens?
It has nothing to do with concern. Once they figured out that forcing women to have a vaginal ultrasound, pay for burial services; and force them into a two day waiting period - was NOT going to stop abortions - THEN republican men chose to focus on the physician and the facility in their effort to prevent women from controlling their own bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
In my state - viability is still an issue with regard to one count or two count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies