Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 03:52 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I don't. I would leave any public place and call 911 if I saw a gun on anyone's person. That person carrying would be arrested. BUT, I don't live in a 15 person village in Montana where the culture is much different. I imagine in said village that people hunt their dinner. They don't have Whole Foods down the street like I do. LOL
If the person is carrying legally, nothing will happen to that person. You sound like the someone who yells at people who park in handicap parking. You aren't handicapped, but you see it as your duty to berate anyone who may not appear visibly handicapped, because you are the DEFENDER!!

Sorry, but people who call the cops because they see someone with a holstered weapon annoy me.

P.S. I have carried concealed at a Whole Foods before. And everyone lived!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That depends entirely on where you are. In most of Nebraska, where I live, you'd just be wasting the police officer's time, as open carry is legal everywhere in the state outside of the city of Omaha. And CCW is legal inside Omaha; if I flash my piece unnecessarily I'll get in legal trouble (and deservedly!), but I'm not going to be arrested simply because my concealed pistol momentarily printed and you just happened to spot it. (Useful fact: legal gun owners almost always use holsters when they carry handguns, criminals almost never do. So noting whether a handgun is holstered or not is a useful bit of information when assessing risk.)

But your larger point is valid: if a stranger actually gives you a reason not to trust them, then DON'T! Mistrust triggered by actual behavior is the opposite of paranoia, and no one should be ashamed of it. It's not wrong to trust your instincts, or to err on the side of caution when evaluating strangers.
I made the same point.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
None you'll accept, that's for sure. My point has always been that there's no reason to trust strangers with guns. It's not a hard concept.
No, it certainly is NOT a "hard concept"!
In fact, it is very easy:
YOU are a stranger to me.
Therefore, I. DO. NOT. TRUST. YOU!
I don't know if you are carrying a weapon or not. I don't really care. It doesn't really matter.
YOU are a stranger. I do not trust you.
again, it is not a hard concept at all!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch51 View Post
i question whether OP even owns a gun. who cares if he was in the navy. If op doesn't want his gun, sell it then. I don't really care if you trust me or not. I trust myself and thats all that matters. I own 10 guns. I also carry one where ever I go.
I tend to agree that OP has never been a gun owner. So many of these anti-2A threads are always started off by saying "I own a gun, BUT..."

Old 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,286,072 times
All gun owners are good guys with gun (except criminals) until they flip and become bad guys with gun.
Way too many good guys turn to bad guys with gun and then people say, "Oh he was such a nice guy. Never imagined he'd shoot his own wife, daughter, neighbor, colleagues etc..."
"We are shocked!" Blah blah blah...

You don't know when I'll flip.
I may flip due to a fight with my wife, when I get drunk or whatever.
Maybe I need dual lock on the gun safe like nucs but that doesn't serve when you really need to use to protect yourself.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:24 PM

10,356 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
All gun owners are good guys with gun (except criminals) until they flip and become bad guys with gun.
You can simplify it: All good guys (except criminals) are good guys until the flip and become bad guys.

You want to live in a Minority Report world, where it's possible to predict with certainty who will become dangerous in the future, so they can be restrained in advance of committing a crime? So do I, but that world is science fiction. Even professional psychologists aren't very good at predicting dangerousness (largely because it's actually rare; even most severely mentally ill people have no real desire to harm others).

Old 07-06-2016, 04:26 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Way too many good guys turn to bad guys with gun and then people say, "Oh he was such a nice guy. Never imagined he'd shoot his own wife, daughter, neighbor, colleagues etc..."
"We are shocked!" Blah blah blah...

You don't know when I'll flip.
I may flip due to a fight with my wife, when I get drunk or whatever.
Maybe I need dual lock on the gun safe like nucs but that doesn't serve when you really need to use to protect yourself.
Then maybe it's a drinking problem?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:26 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Not my point. You and I are in McDonald's. You have a gun. Why should I trust you with that gun?

Whether you do or you don't is irrelevant. Trust or don't trust. That's your choice but it has no bearing on whether or not someone else can carry a gun. They don't owe it to you to gain your trust. Your trust issues are your issues and they don't impact someone's legal right to carry a weapon.
http://www.newstimes.com/news/articl...ners-97536.php

From the link above on percentages of shootings:

1. Seventy-eight percent of all shooting deaths are drug-, gang- or other criminal-related incidents committed with unregistered guns wielded by non-licensed criminals.

3. Less than 1 percent are shootings by legal gun owners committing a crime.

4. Six percent are legal gun owners protecting life, limb and property (homeowners, shop owners, etc.).

Old 07-06-2016, 04:27 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
Quote:
For those who carry firearms, why should we trust you?
"Because if you dont, I'll shoot you"

Old 07-06-2016, 04:28 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
You all are still falling for his Socratic mind games?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies