Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and that is the reason many of us own firearms, as well as why many carry firearms, we dont know who to trust for the most part, thus we maintain our vigilance and maintain our level of protection for ourselves.
And you don't think you're at all over the top on that?
Quote:

right, just because you think people are out to get you doesnt mean you are paranoid.
I said people were dangerous, I didn't say they were out to get me. Getting caught in a crossfire doesn't require collusion on either party's part. But calling me "paranoid" does point up the attack dog mentality of the gunners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 11:15 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post

I said people were dangerous, I didn't say they were out to get me. Getting caught in a crossfire doesn't require collusion on either party's part. But calling me "paranoid" does point up the attack dog mentality of the gunners.
Why don't you be honest and just say that you are here to argue? All these posts and you have no point.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:21 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
No. I've actually starting taking General Mattis' advise. While it might seem over the top for you, it's a mental exercise for me.

Quote:
Attack dogs are attack without provocation - just because you are there. As one who carries every day you would have to threaten me or the people in my care for me to ever draw. If I don't draw you would never know I am carrying.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:23 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Quote:
To keep down some of the inevitable posts by knee-jerk folks, I have been an owner and a shoot since 1965. I'm retired Navy with a good deal of trigger time. I still shoot at a local range, as does my wife. Now, I hope we can carry on...

It's a simple question: How do I know I can trust you with that gun you're carrying?
You can't, period.

I look at others very simply. I just look at myself in the mirror and ask myself - "Do I know you?". My answer is always not near 100%, so all bets are off for me EVER to understand anyone. I've been with myself 24/7 for 56 years, and I surprise myself probably daily.

It's just risk/reward of the situation at hand. If I feel I am in a situation that I am incapable of dealing with, and the person standing next to me pulls out a gun, I would trust them with my life. If I feel incapable I can't trust myself, so what's the alternative?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
no i dont. eternal vigilance is the price of freedom. always has been always will be. by the same token eternal vigilance and preparation is the price of ones own safety. the cops cant be right there all the time, and thus i have to be prepared to defend myself. once again i remind you, and others, that when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.

Quote:
perhaps you didnt say people are out to get you, in so many words, but you ARE being paranoid in your reaction to others who take responsibility for their own safety. just because someone is carrying a gun does not mean they are going to use it. but since you have no trust in people, you are feeling that they might just use it, and thus the paranoia on your part.

and i tend to be more of a guard dog, not an attack dog. i stay as alert as possible, ready to respond to a threat as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
No. I've actually starting taking General Mattis' advise. While it might seem over the top for you, it's a mental exercise for me.
semper fi general mathis

Old 07-06-2016, 03:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
More personal attacks. The reason I'm concerned about some of you carrying guns and the reason I don't trust you with them.
Pointing out that you're engaging in Troll like behavior is hardly a personal attack.

You're just arguing and asking the same question over and over....which makes you a:

Troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

Try addressing posts like the one below, and then maybe people might take you seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
10 things non-gun people should know about CCW holders.

1. We don’t carry firearms so that we can ignore other basics of personal safety. Every permit holder that I know realizes that almost all dangerous situations can be avoided by vigilance, alertness and by simply making wise choices about where one goes and what one does. We don’t walk down dark alleys. We lock our cars. We don’t get intoxicated in public or hang out around people who do. We park our cars in well lighted spots and don’t hang out in bad parts of town where we have no business. A gun is our last resort, not our first.

2. We don’t think we are cops, spies, or superheros. We aren’t hoping that somebody tries to rob the convenience store while we are there so we can shoot a criminal. We don’t take it upon ourselves to get involved in situations that are better handled by a 911 call or by simply standing by and being a good witness. We don’t believe our guns give us any authority over our fellow citizens. We also aren't here to be your unpaid volunteer bodyguard. We'll be glad to tell you where we trained and point you to some good gun shops if you feel you want to take this kind of responsibility for your personal safety. Except for extrordinary circumstances your business is your business, don't expect us to help you out of situations you could have avoided.

3. We are LESS likely, not more likely, to be involved in fights or “rage†incidents than the general public. We recognize, better than many unarmed citizens, that we are responsible for our actions. We take the responsibility of carrying a firearm very seriously. We know that loss of temper, getting into fights or angrily confronting someone after a traffic incident could easily escalate into a dangerous situation. We are more likely to go out of our way to avoid these situations. We don’t pull our guns to settle arguments or to attempt to threaten people into doing what we want.

4. We are responsible gun owners. We secure our firearms so that children and other unauthorized people cannot access them. Most of us have invested in safes, cases and lock boxes as well as other secuity measures to keep our firearms secure. Many of us belong to various organizations that promote firearms safety and ownership.

5. Guns are not unsafe or unpredictable. Modern firearms are well made precision instruments. Pieces do not simply break off causing them to fire. A hot day will not set them off. Most modern firearms will not discharge even if dropped. There is no reason to be afraid of a gun simply laying on a table or in a holster. It is not going to discharge on its own.

6. We do not believe in the concept of “accidental dischargesâ€. There are no accidental discharges only negligent discharges or intentional discharges. We take responsibility for our actions and have learned how to safely handle firearms. Any case you have ever heard of about a gun “going off†was the result of negligence on somebody’s part. Our recognition of our responsibility and familiarity with firearms makes us among the safest firearms owners in America.

7. Permit holders do their best to keep our concealed weapons exactly that: concealed. However, there are times with an observant fellow citizen may spot our firearm or the print of our firearm under our clothes. We are very cognizant that concerns about terrorism and crime are in the forefront of the minds of most citizens. We also realize that our society does much to condition our fellow citizens to have sometimes irrational fears about firearms. We would encourage citizens who do happen to spot someone carrying a firearm to use good judgment and clear thinking if they feel to need to take action. Please recognize that it’s very uncommon for a criminal to use a holster. However, if you feel the need to report having spotted a firearm we would ask that you please be specific and detailed in your call to the police or in your report to a store manager or private security. Please don’t generalize or sensationalize what you observed. Comments like “there’s a guy running around in the store with a gun†or even simply “I saw a man with a gun in the store†could possibly cause a misunderstanding as to the true nature of the incident.

8. The fact that we carry a firearm to any given place does not mean that we believe that place to be inherently unsafe. If we believe a place to be unsafe, most of us would avoid that place all together if possible. However, we recognize that trouble could occur at any place and at any time. Criminals do not observe “gun free zonesâ€. If trouble does come, we do not want the only armed persons to be perpetrators. Therefore, we don't usually make a determination about whether or not to carry at any given time based on "how safe" we think a location is.

9. Concealed weapon permit holders are an asset to the public in times of trouble. The fact that most permit holders have the good judgment to stay out of situations better handled by a 911 call or by simply being a careful and vigilant witness does not mean that we would fail to act in situations where the use of deadly force is appropriate to save lives. Review of high profile public shooting incidents shows that when killers are confronted by armed resistance they tend to either break off the attack and flee or choose to end their own life. Lives are saved when resistance engages a violent criminal. Lives are lost when the criminal can do as he pleases.

10. The fact that criminals know that some of the population may be armed at any given time helps to deter violence against all citizens. Permit holders don’t believe that every person should necessarily be armed. We recognize that some people may not be temperamentally suited to carry a firearm or simply may wish not to for personal reasons. However we do encourage you to respect our right to arm ourselves. Even if you choose not to carry a firearm yourself please oppose measures to limit the ability of law abiding citizens to be armed. As mentioned before: criminals do not observe “gun free zonesâ€. Help by not supporting laws that require citizens to be unarmed victims.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:32 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why don't you be honest and just say that you are here to argue? All these posts and you have no point.
None you'll accept, that's for sure. My point has always been that there's no reason to trust strangers with guns. It's not a hard concept.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,938 times
Quote:
Still no reason to trust any of you with a gun. That's interesting.
Is it? How? Do you automatically trust law enforcement officers who carry weapons? If so, why do you have such little regard for the rest of the citizens who carry?

Good thing the 2A doesn't read:

.....being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people we trust to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, unless we decide that we don't trust them anymore.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,938 times
Quote:
Because I can't address everything under the sun, of course. You want me to shut up about guns because ...

I don't want you to shut up about guns. I would love it if you were more educated and intellectually honest about them, but I defend your 1st Amendment right to yammer on about guns all day every day. Especially when what you have to say is so silly! Makes us 2A supporters appear pretty darn stable.

I think you should consider whether or not you suffer from holophobia. I am being serious based on your trust issues and need for confirmation that only certain people you trust be allowed their Constitutional right.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Interesting logic.

Is a person with an invisible gun more trustworthy?

The bottom line really is if we can't trust the person with a gun, that person should remain in prison or in hospital. Period.
Where do you live? If you live in a conceal carry state you won't know if a person has a gun.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-06-2016 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies