Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Because I can't address everything under the sun, of course. You want me to shut up about guns because ...
But you haven't bothered to address ANY of them!

You have only commented - uselessly I might add - once about the comparison with cars. But even that attempt was lame.

You're useless. Go donate your organs early.

People, we're feeding the troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,915 times
Quote:
To keep down some of the inevitable posts by knee-jerk folks, I have been an owner and a shoot since 1965. I'm retired Navy with a good deal of trigger time. I still shoot at a local range, as does my wife. Now, I hope we can carry on...

It's a simple question: How do I know I can trust you with that gun you're carrying?
Not sure if anyone has brought this up yet or not, but statistically speaking, concealed carriers have crime rates much much lower than the general population.

Here is 20 years worth of data proving it.

Ironically, this makes the question "how do I know I can trust you if you don't carry a gun?"

Old 07-06-2016, 07:48 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
To keep down some of the inevitable posts by knee-jerk folks, I have been an owner and a shoot since 1965. I'm retired Navy with a good deal of trigger time. I still shoot at a local range, as does my wife. Now, I hope we can carry on...

It's a simple question: How do I know I can trust you with that gun you're carrying?
just as you can't trust that a gun is unloaded you can't trust anyone and shouldn't.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Because I can't address everything under the sun, of course. You want me to shut up about guns because ...
No, I want you to make some effin' SENSE! There's no evidence that CCW is causing any of the problems you're no doubt concerned about, so why are you focusing on it?

The fact that CCW permit holders commit violent crimes at a lower-than-average rate DESPITE having easy access to deadly force shows clearly that the problem lies in the users, not the tool. Are there any additional steps we as a society can legally take to help identify those who shouldn't have a gun which we are not already taking (felons and people who've been involuntarily committed to a metal institution are already barred from legal ownership) and that are actually feasible and won't violate civil rights? (For instance, banning all males under the age of 35 from firearms ownership would be effective, since they commit almost all of the violent crime, but it's certainly a civil rights non-starter.)

Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:

And how do I know I can trust you? Just because you have been in the Navy and have experience handling a firearm doesn't mean jack **** to me.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And how do I know I can trust you? Just because you have been in the Navy and have experience handling a firearm doesn't mean jack **** to me.
I know someone who went through Navy training with a wooden gun and only shot a real firearm once. They also never set foot on a real boat only the land locked training vessel downtown.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Not sure if anyone has brought this up yet or not, but statistically speaking, concealed carriers have crime rates much much lower than the general population.

Here is 20 years worth of data proving it.

Ironically, this makes the question "how do I know I can trust you if you don't carry a gun?"
For the last time, nobody cares about your stupid facts!

Old 07-06-2016, 08:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
What a funny and rather useless thread considering the trust issue raised by the OP. In response to his original question and with apologies to Rhett Butler, "Frankly, Opana, I don't give a damn.

I started shooting at about age seven or eight. I was given my first gun at age 10. I spent eight years in the Army as an infantryman and cavalryman. I've shot everything from .22s to main battle tank main guns and many things in between. Spent an equal number of years in law enforcement. I have a CCW for which I was required to take even more training. Sometimes I carry. Sometimes I don't. I'm blessed to live in a state with a good Castle Doctrine which also extends to our cars. I know when it's legal to shoot and when it's not. In the military I fired shots in anger but only at the enemy. Thankfully I haven't shot at anyone since. I haven't had to.

Quite frankly, Opana, I don't trust you! You seem to be a neophyte when it comes to firearms.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:24 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:

More people are killed with cars then guns.

" For those who carry firearms, why should we trust you?

For those that drive, why should we trust you?

More people are killed with blunt instruments like bats.

For those that carry a bat, why should we trust you?

With HUGE number of guns in the hands of private citizens and the small number, in comparison, of gun deaths, IMO, this is stupid thread.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:40 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And a troll.
More personal attacks. The reason I'm concerned about some of you carrying guns and the reason I don't trust you with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies