Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:31 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Is it? How? Do you automatically trust law enforcement officers who carry weapons? If so, why do you have such little regard for the rest of the citizens who carry?

Good thing the 2A doesn't read:

.....being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people we trust to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, unless we decide that we don't trust them anymore.
Silly, silly, silly. Why do you think I trust the police. I know the three that live across the street, but I don't trust them. I accept that they carry as part of their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
To keep down some of the inevitable posts by knee-jerk folks, I have been an owner and a shoot since 1965. I'm retired Navy with a good deal of trigger time. I still shoot at a local range, as does my wife. Now, I hope we can carry on...

It's a simple question: How do I know I can trust you with that gun you're carrying?

1. shot guns since age 5

2. shoot at least every other weekend on my farm

3. have taken three gun safety classes

4. have been a hunter since age 8

5. have taught many people about gun safety

6. have never had a gun related accident

7. I am mentally stable

8. I would never shoot anyone unless my life (or that of a family member) was in direct danger and could not run away.

9. I would never shoot anyone over theft (who cares).

10. I never carry a round in the chamber

The good thing about the 2nd amendment is that I don't need to justify any of the above (except #7) to anyone.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:50 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Not any more or less that one should trust an agent of the State who is armed...

Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You all are still falling for his Socratic mind games?
Stop giving Socrates a bad name! HIS mind games, unlike the OP's, actually had a point.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,938 times
Quote:
Silly, silly, silly. Why do you think I trust the police. I know the three that live across the street, but I don't trust them. I accept that they carry as part of their job.

Then accept that we carry as part of our Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer
For those who carry firearms, why should we trust you?

Because we cannot trust you.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
...It's a simple question: How do I know I can trust you with that gun you're carrying?
One simple answer: whether you trust me is irrelevant, just as if I asked whether I could trust you with a car that could potentially run me over. Statistically, you are MUCH more likely to be killed by someone driving dangerously than by someone with a gun. And driving a car is a privilege, rather than a Constitutional right.

Another simple answer: you can trust the average gun owner not to shoot you, based on statistics. Nationwide, stranger-on-stranger shootings are virtually unheard of. Even in the highest-risk cities, "You’re more likely to die in a plane crash, drown in your bathtub or perish in an earthquake during your lifetime than be murdered by a stranger in New York. Just 29 victims of the city’s record-low 334 slayings in 2013 did not know their killers..." Odds that you

Societies function because the vast majority of people follow the rules, and don't harm anyone. Of course there are exceptions, so when someone does something illegal (whether using a gun, or a knife, or a car, etc.), they are dealt with by law enforcement and the Judicial System.

The concept everyone seems to miss is that violence is not caused by having the ability to do harm. Pretty much all of us could potentially pull a knife from under our jacket and stab a stranger, turn the wheel of our car and crush a pedestrian, or strike a match to start a fire on the ground floor of an old apartment building at night. It is not lack of ability that causes people to refrain from harming one another.

People make the choice to harm others and commit crimes. And since there are vicious criminals out there amongst the 300 million or so Americans, it's a good thing there are also plenty of law-abiding gun owners who have the ability to protect themselves and their families--particular since the Supreme Court ruled long ago that the police do NOT have a constitutional duty to protect you. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po...o-protect.html

Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
You don't need to "trust" us - unless you are trying to kick in my door.
It has nothing to do with "you" ..... right? You aren't planning on mugging me or kicking in my door .... right?

Just "trust" that we don't call 911 - seconds count, when they are minutes away.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
OP - if you are very distrustful and suspicious, as it appears from you messages that you are, then you could be suffering from Paranoid Personality Disorder. It can lead to significant stress and problems at home and on the job. The article from psychcentral.com below may be of some help.

Paranoid Personality Disorder Symptoms | Psych Central

I am especially concerned for you since guns are flying off the shelves and soon you may not be able to leave the house. Take care of yourself.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:19 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer
For those who carry firearms, why should we trust you?

Because we cannot trust you.
Yep, we don't trust each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies